Battery and amperage

jso902

Enlightened
What happens if you run a current rate higher than a battery's designed spec?
I.e. Cr123 amp draw >1.5.
Does it Max out on amperage draw and cap itself?
Will it overheat?

I'm not encouraging this. I just want to understand chemistry limitation and potential risks.
I have a light that goes up to 1.5 amp draw. But it does have a hidden 3 amp burst mode. And in case of an emergency , can I grab a cr123 for this light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The voltage will drop and the battery will heat up. The behavior tends to be gradually self-limiting, but I don't know that the limit is in the safe range for all batteries, especially some of the very high drain lithium-ion cells.

If the battery were to get hot enough, it could potentially rupture, but I see that HKJ has tested at least one type of CR123A cell to 3 Amps. Notice it lost a lot of capacity at 3 Amps, and if your light needs more than 2.25V in order to pull 3 Amps, a CR123A probably will self-limit before it reaches that current
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Review-of-Panasonic-Lithium-Industrial-CR123A

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As iamlucky13 pointed out, as the draw approaches the maximum current the cell can produce, the capacity of the cell drops drastically. Primary cells should not pose a hazard unless the current draw is larger enough to appear to be close to a direct short across the cell. As an example, if you drop a five or six amp load across a primary CR123A cell, you can expect bad things to happen, anything from venting to out and out fire. Don't try it.

Rechargeable cells are the same way, but if the current draw is drastic enough, expect badder things to happen than with a primary cell. Protected cells will just shut down the same as they would for a direct short, but unprotected cells will give their all trying to meet the load, and will probably overheat, usually vent, and may burst into flame and/or explode. Again, don't try it.

To paraphrase the mighty hunter of our youth, "Be vewy, vewy, careful!" [Ten points if you can identify the mighty hunter. :thumbsup:]

jso902

Enlightened
Oh boi, I haven't seen a warner brothers cartoon in ages.
Thanks for the info. If i have to (exceedingly rare) I would be using a cr123 at approx 1 amps until until I can replace /recharge my imr battery.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Two out of two, I'm impressed. I guess I'm not the only old fart with a lot of time on my hands wandering here. :naughty: Now to weed the young old farts from the old old farts - who does that emoji remind you of?

archimedes

Flashaholic
The emoji will render differently, depending on specifics of browser / app / software / etc ... but on mine it looks like Mr Magoo :)