Good dog-walking light

ToadBattles

Newly Enlightened
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a good light for walking my dog at night. I'd like it to have the following specs:

1. Runs on AA/AAA Eneloops
2. Has a high mode for sweeping my back yard (1 acre) and a low mode for when the dog is doing its business
3. Not required, but I'd like to try a neutral white led

Size does not matter.

Thanks in advance.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two recommendations. One is the Nitecore EA11. It runs on one AA or one 14500 Li-Ion cell. Obviously, it does better on the 14500, but even with the AA cell it still puts out 160 lumens on Turbo, and shines for 40-50 yards. With a 14500 it maxes at 900 lumens and 190 meters. Plus it's a nice size to fit easily on a belt, and has a secondary red LED for low light and preservation of night sight if wanted.

Second would be the Nitecore EA45S. It uses 4 AA cells, and has a corresponding increase in brightness and throw. It fits well in the hand, and makes a nice overall light. Its only drawback is that it has some parasitic drain due to the electronic switch, so you have to monitor the cells to make sure they aren't drained too far.

Nitecore also has some AA lights in its MT and P lines of lights, but I don't own any of them so can't speak to them.

There are many nice AAA lights around, but I doubt if you will find any that have the output and throw to cover your back yard.

caram

Newly Enlightened
I think the Sipik SK-68 Zoomie 1xAA is great for both sweeping backyard and low when the dog is doing its business,
Duracell 350 is 3xAAA and has these modes too, excellent budget thrower.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 300 lumen Rayovac 2AA "Indestructible" from home depot should do the trick, has 2 modes, runs great on Eneloops, with very good throw....only costs $15.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have to keep your yard clean and pick up after your dog, consider also getting a headlamp if you need at least one hand free with your other hand on the leash. Not necessary if Fido stays even when off leash of course.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
What level of brightness do you expect, intensity wise not total output wise, and how wide a beam do you want to sweep your acre? For example, would you want a pencil beam?

proceed5

Enlightened
You may try these:

Recommended =
1) Thrunite TN4A-XPL-HI palm sized thrower. Price-wise is value for money + small. Runs on 4 AA batts. Respectable runtimes for AA format. 1050 lumens max brightness & has 1 lumen mode. Its 45mm head-size produces Very very big bright spills with a very sweet spot-light, rated at 52k candela intensity 400+ meters range. This thing is really amazing really enjoyable to walk around with. It can out-do my other bigger 18650 lights of similar max lumens..

2) if you prefer Neutral White & floodier beam, Thrunite also makes the TN4A-XPL-V6. 1150 max lumens.

Cheers

Last edited:

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
If I was walking a dog on a leash in the dark then I'd definitely want a headlamp.

We used to have 2 acres in the country. I started with a xeon bulb 4 cell mag light, but it wasn't really bright enough and I got one of those SLA "million candlepower" spot lights. I used that all the time. But it was heavier than I would want to carry around on a walk.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the sort of use I like my Thrunite Archer for:

+ Available in neutral white
+ Runs well on Eneloops (acceptable for my 1.5 acres, in my opinion)
+ Runs even better on 14500 lithium ion if you want (excellent on my 1.5 acres)
+ 2xAA model performs similar to the 1xAA fed 14500.
+ Good range of moonlight - low - medium - high
+ Good ergonomics - not as pocketable as most AA lights, but easier to grip
+ Side button is convenient for mode changes

That said, I know that some people who don't care about moonlight mode find 4 modes to be more than they like to cycle through, and it's not the longest throwing 1xAA light by any means.