• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Strange Haiku problem?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I can take my Haiku and place the light upwards on the kitchen counter and by lightly, and I mean lightly banging it on the counter have it go through all the modes.

This started with my XPG head, and I switched to my XML head and the same thing happens. By lightly tapping the light on the bottom with the LED facing up, it goes through all three modes, on the same battery pack.

Loose switch maybe? Or, something else. This light is loaded with a CR123 primary as a result of the AW protected disaster on aboard an aircraft Last month. (See previous post).

What say the experts. Tomorrow I will make certain the switch is tight, could it be a worn out switch, as I have had it since 2010 and carried almost daily. Since both my XML and XPG did it we can rule out the LE. Maybe some of you can try this and see if just the movement is normal. Just point it upward and tap it on something like your counter top.

Thanks in advance,

Best,

RL

ADD: My Red Haiku does not do it, my red Sun Drop does not but, my Mule does. All from their own battery packs except the XML, which I tested on the pack in question I did not try my older models, or my Makai.

Maybe this is just from the banging, even as light I am doing it is just normal? My Mule could not need a new switch. If this is normal, I am fine with it, however, it just came to my attention tonight, and want to see if it is normal, just to make sure my daily light is in good operating condition. It is the one thing I really love.

--

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say it goes through all modes, do you mean slowly or quickly?
If it is quickly it could be a contact issue and either the switch is loose or spring has been compressed. Also possible that the switch is worn out.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
That's a battery bounce ... spring is at one end only.

Good to double-check that everything is secure, tighten all connections, clean contact surfaces and such, but it should be fine.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
One other interesting thought occurred to me ....

If you had been using protected cells before, and now switched to a primary, it may be a tiny bit more evident. Since the protected cells are a bit longer, they fit more tightly, and thus would compress the tailswitch spring slightly more than the shorter primary cell.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point, however I only used the protected cells from July until February 1. Could the springs be that compressed over such a short time.

Also, my Mule did it, and I don't EDC that very much. I will check that switch, as well.

I should get a new switch, plus, the light works just fine, and it is by far not the best thing to do to lights.

Has as any one tried this and found the same thing? It could just be breaking the connection with the battery enough to go thru modes, and was certainly not designed or engineered for this.

Interesting though?

If if anyone can try this and let me know the results, it may be normal and I have used this light a lot. Keep its scratch free with Scotch Brite pads and maintain the contacts and switch tightness. My other Haiku's and Sun Drop did not do it, but again they don't see nearly as much action.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
"It could just be breaking the connection with the battery enough to go thru modes, and was certainly not designed or engineered for this."

This is exactly what is happening. I recall obijuan kenobe was a fan of the palm smack mode change method. Haha

archimedes

Flashaholic
"It could just be breaking the connection with the battery enough to go thru modes, and was certainly not designed or engineered for this."

This is exactly what is happening. I recall obijuan kenobe was a fan of the palm smack mode change method. Haha

Yes, I was looking for that post all morning, to link it up for the OP ....

scout24

Flashaholic
RedLED- How old is your Haiku? If it's that easy to change levels like that, it may be time for a new switch. Springs in general do fatigue. Good to have a spare around, either way...

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all of you for assisting me with my Haiku.

I think all is well and will use the light in the normal manner.

Thanks, I will put a new switch in anyway. It shows you that you can be a little rough on these lights and they trun out fine.

It is nice to have the support of the people here not only in the McGizmo forum but all of CPF.

I don't think there is a problem with the Haiku.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't so much as bang it hard as just setting it down a little hard. I would not do any to abuse my daily Haiku, or any light. But just a Minor slightly hard set down changed the mode, and I came right to the forum.

Also so it was in the middle of the night, so I was tired, and set down a little harder than normal.

The battery problem is in the Poll: Rechargeables V. Primaries.

Last edited: