Hey bros and bro-ettes...the Battery Bros have an 18650 date code tool!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, batterybro announced that tool here last May (and you replied in that thread). But it doesn't hurt to give it more visibility.

Thanks. I don't recall posting in it, but we have a lot of noobies, so I wasn't too worried about it.

On the other hand, if I had posted about the Titanic sinking, then I could see the 'Dupe Police' being out in full force.

The funny thing is is that I have most of that info already written down in notes, for the major manufactures, that much like the Chinese guys that are referenced in the BB comment section, I too gleaned from just scouring Google. I couldn't find my notes, so I Googled 'li-ion date codes' and came to the Bros' site.

The reason being is that I opened up another Sony VAIO pack and got the same 8 2000mAh Sony cells that I got in the last one and wanted to check the date codes.

These were May 2002, which is about where the first batch was at and were all resting at 3.75v-3.76, so in pretty good shape.

This is the 'OEM' pack that I got off of Ebay some 5-6 years back and it never lasted long. I have a second pack that came from my brother when he gave me his 2004 VAIO after the HD crashed and I may crack that open one day. These 8 had about 550mAh left on the Opus, so I'm not holding out much hope. After discharging them all at 500mA, I charged the first 4 up to 1800+ and I'll do a discharge at 1A now, to see what's available.

Funny.

Chris