The OutdoorsPlus
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: lighthouse bulbs

  1. #1

    Default lighthouse bulbs

    hi,
    I am new here, and sorry if this in the wrong section.

    anyone know where you can buy the old style lighthouse bulbs in the uk ?

    I have a large 3kw, yes 3kw one but the filament is all shot to pieces and it would be nice if I could get a better bulb for display purposes.

    thanks
    dave

  2. #2
    Enlightened danthexenonorc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Did you try the usual places like ebay, or just searching the model number on google. Is there a nameplate?

  3. #3

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    hi,
    yes, tried the usual places like ebay, I might have to contact trinity house in the uk.

    I think they moved from the 3kw bulbs to using 3 x 500w smaller bulbs, which were presumably more efficient

  4. #4
    FRITZHID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Icelandic wastelands of Monico, WI
    Posts
    2,202

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post
    hi,
    yes, tried the usual places like ebay, I might have to contact trinity house in the uk.

    I think they moved from the 3kw bulbs to using 3 x 500w smaller bulbs, which were presumably more efficient

    they stay'd with incan?? most of the ones i've seen are using MH or MV arc lamps.
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w, Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30, vss-3A.

  5. #5

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    hi,

    sorry what is "incan", I am not familiar with the term.
    just been over to http://www.edisontechcenter.org/ArcLamps.html

    some good info over there,

    the 500w lighthouse bulb I have is an M40 fitting and is in good condition, but with some blackening at the bottom of the bulb.

  6. #6

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    I tried to have a look searching in google for lamps for sale but i think you would need to know the specific bulb make/name as putting in "lighthouse" did not always come up with much.
    I did find this 1000w HID lighthouse bulb not for sale though but might help you in your search as they seem to have some discussions about them and maybe could point you in the right direction.
    http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gall...=181&pid=79570

    I was just reading this the other day about the history of lighthouse lamps which i found interesting thought i would post it.
    http://uslhs.org/lighthouse-lamps-through-time

    I always remember as a kid my dad taking me to see a lighthouse and i have always wanted one of those bulbs too so hope you find one .

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* XeRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ogden, Utah
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post
    hi, sorry what is "incan", I am not familiar with the term.
    "incan" is "short" for Incandescent (a bulb with a filament such as Halogen etc.)

  8. #8
    Enlightened danthexenonorc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    It seems like you may be out of luck. Most lighthouses have moved over to the use of more efficient lighting equipment, so manufactures just stopped producing them, so finding one, in new condition, will be pretty hard. I checked ebay and all I found is tubular halogen 3kw lights. GL on your search!

  9. #9

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatedOne View Post
    I tried to have a look searching in google for lamps for sale but i think you would need to know the specific bulb make/name as putting in "lighthouse" did not always come up with much.
    I did find this 1000w HID lighthouse bulb not for sale though but might help you in your search as they seem to have some discussions about them and maybe could point you in the right direction.
    http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gall...=181&pid=79570
    I was just reading this the other day about the history of lighthouse lamps which i found interesting thought i would post it.
    http://uslhs.org/lighthouse-lamps-through-time
    I always remember as a kid my dad taking me to see a lighthouse and i have always wanted one of those bulbs too so hope you find one .
    nice find, appreciate that

  10. #10
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    3KW is very large for a lighthouse lamp, many in the UK and presumably elsewhere were only 500 watts.
    The long distance visibility of a lighthouse is derived from a sophisticated optical system not from a huge wattage lamp.

    Prior to electric lamps, many lighthouses used oil vapour illumination. These worked on the same principle as the kerosene pressure lanterns used today, but on a larger scale.

    Lighthouse lamps were usually standard line voltage, 240 volts in the UK, but lower voltages were sometimes used. Other factors being equal a lower voltage lamp will be cheaper, more efficient and longer lasting than a higher voltage lamp.

  11. #11
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Not sure what specifics you're looking for, but Google shows lots of 3kW bulbs.
    For instance:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...024976720.html

    The lighthouse bulb is probably optimized for visible frequencies emissions, so maybe xenon arc is less suitable. A picture of your old bulb might be useful.

  12. #12

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Going way back here, but not 100% certain M40 refers to the base, but was a designation from GE ... of what I can't remember right now. It may have been their flavor of GY9.5? ... which I can't imagine at 3000W. Maybe that is 3000K ... color temp?

    Can you please A) Post a picture and B) Measure the distance between the pins and the length and diameter of the pins.

    Could also send a picture to these guys: http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl
    Last edited by ssanasisredna; 03-21-2017 at 09:28 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: lighthouse bulbs

    Quote Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
    The long distance visibility of a lighthouse is derived from a sophisticated optical system not from a huge wattage lamp.
    One of the things is too cool not to reference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •