Review Fenix TK47: dual-light, 2 x 18650, XHP35 HI, 1300 lumens; (beams)hots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
It's been a long time ago that Fenix presented its last serious thrower-light. As far as I know, the big-headed TK61 was the last Fenix that was designed to reach a really big distance. Because the newer LED-generations like XHP35 give more power and throw to lights, it's possible now to design a flashlight that is much more compact, but still has good throw. Lately, Fenix presented the TK47, that comes in two versions: The first is the XHP35 HI-version with smooth reflector that I will show you in this review. It is designed to throw. The second version is the TK47UE: this torch has an orange-peel reflector and a "quad" XHP70 LED that gives this ultimate version a lot of lumens and a broad beam. Another interesting novelty of the TK47 is the built-in tail-light, covered by a diffusor. A nice solution for lighting up at close range, also there's a red emitter built-in for SOS or warning. So, how does this light perform and do the special features add value? I'll share my thoughts with you, give an impressions of the light and show a lot of beamshots in this review!

a new thrower designed by Fenix

small tube and rather compact head

but good performance thanks to the deep reflector

and the powerful, flat XHP35 HI LED

a novelty is the built-in backlight with diffusor

smooth reflector, good throw

also for close range and emergency

As usual, we'll start by looking at the manufacturer specs:

Features:

·Headlight: Cree XHP35 HI neutral white LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Tail light: Quality neutral white LED, red LED and diffuser tip design
·Powered by two 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries
·266.2mm Length x 61.5mm Head Diameter x 28.6mm Body Diameter
·376 grams (excluding batteries)
·Dual independent light source that can be used simultaneously
·Headlight with a far-reaching 700m beam distance
·Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
·The headlight features lockout function
·Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery insertion
·Intelligent overheat protection to avoid high surface temperature
·Featuring low voltage downshift function
·Made of durable aircraft- grade aluminum
·Premium type
hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with an anti-reflective coating

Dimensions:

· 266.2mm length
· 28.6mm body diameter
· 61.5mm head diameter
· 376 grams excluding battery

And the output specs:

Unboxing:

The TK47 comes in a large carton box with a handle that makes it easy to carry. It's an attractive package, it seems that Fenix has restyled their boxes, it has "2017-looks" now. As we're used of, almost all specifications are mentioned at the box, together with some nice photos how to use the TK47. Black foam inside protects the light against damage and makes it easy to restore it. Except the cells all is in: A manual (also in new style), a leaflet and warranty-card, holster and spare parts. This box is ok to me, Fenix has taken good care of it! Please have a look at the pictures below that show the carrying-case and what's in!

a large box with handle

the new Fenix-style

a lot of information at the box

protecting foam that makes it easy to restore the light neatly

the contents: manual/warranty card/leaflet, TK47, spare O-ring, lanyard and holster

Impressions:

First impression: Some longer than expected! Looking at the dimensions specs I knew it was a rather long one, but this isn't a torch that you can carry in your coat pocket. The TK47 has rather heavy feels, also because of the durable construction. In particular the lights head is in Fenix-style, the tube and especially the tail has a completely new design. Although I like the looks of this "baton-light", the design doesn't look well-balanced to me: the tube seems too long. On the other hand, this has big advantage: it has very good grip, doesn't get overheated and can be carried for very long time without getting a worn-out hand. The TK47 comes in nice, deep-black color with silver accents. Again at this light, you can see the outstanding quality of a Fenix: Excellent built with double layered tube, a well-done anodizing job, no sharp parts or visible defects anywhere. Only a close-up to the engraving shows that it look a bit blurry. The light can tail-stand, but only at a flat surface, it isn't stable. The head of the TK47 reminds me to the earlier released TK32 brother, and has deep cooling fins because of the powerful emitter. The tube has two "parts": one has a fine, ribbed knurling, the rear part has five notches. It seems Fenix designed this to always have good grip, even while wearing gloves. All these notches (also in the lights' head) won't protect it rolling off the table accidentally: that's due to the rounded shape of the big tail-cap / light of the TK47. I hope Fenix will fix this issue in future. The silver switches look nice at this light, and are designed for heavy-use. Looking to the lights' head we see a clear and coated glass-lens, a rather deep and clean reflector, and a perfectly centered XHP35 HI LED. Well-done here, superb quality! The tail is the special feature of the TK47, I've never seen such before on a flashlight! Around the button there's a matte white diffusor built, that has a white and red LED inside. This creates a smooth 360-degree white beam and even has a red backlight or beacon function. To me a very nice find, this is a searchlight, a reading-torch and a signaling-light in one! The diffusor is protected by two "ears" where you can fix the lanyard. Smooth running and good greased threads, no abnormalities inside the tube or the cap; again all well machined and finished here. So, we can sum here that the TK47 is built and finished very well, the light has a durable construction and will survive most hardships. I'll show you the rest of the impressions-story by a bunch of pictures, please scroll down to watch!

the new Fenix TK47

has a long and narrow tube

especially the head reminds to some earlier Fenix-lights

comes in nice matte black color

a really long flashlight

stable head standing; tail-stand only possible at flat surface

there's no anti-rolling design because of rounded tail-cap

deep cooling-fins in the head

the special feature of the TK47, the built-in tail-light

the TK47 together with recommended batteries, the light can handle both flat an button-tops

first Fenix light powered by XHP35 HI

rather long tube relative to the head

nice all-rounder

smooth reflector, perfectly centered XHP35 HI LED

well-machined threads, nice details on the tail-light

a look into the cap

as always, a high-quality products

two options to fix the lanyard

the TK47 in the holster

the engraving looks little blurry

anodizing-job well done

the tube has two "parts" to ensure good grip

the tail-light is protected by two "ears"

the red flash mode of the tail-light showed here

deep reflector without defects

clean XHP35 HI-LED

the TK47 in the snow that shows the neutral tint of the XHP35 HI LED

the white backlight has also neutral white tint

the TK47 should survive this circumstances without problems

red tail-light for emergency

the white LED in the backlight produces a nice 360-degree beam

red isn't that bright, but can be seen from a big distance

relative compact head, but good throw

User interface:

As I told you earlier, the TK47 is a long and rather heavy light. You can't hide it in any pocket… Advantage of the long and narrow tube is that the light feel comfortable during carrying. The grip is good, even while wearing gloves, and it was no problem to me to carry the light continuously for an hour during a walk. The TK47 won't slip out of your hand easily, also thanks to the larger tail-cap. The metal side-switch is easy to locate thanks to its special structure. Same for the tail-light. The TK47 can both run on flat tops as on button tops.

The TK47 has a no-nonsense interface. This means not a lot of special or direct modes, and you don't have to study for long times how to control the torch. Press and hold for about 1 second to turn the light on or off, and cycle though the four normal modes by short clicks. The front light has memory for last use mode. If you press for some longer than a second, no matter in what mode you are, the TK47 goes into strobe. It's a good thing that strobe can be activated directly and that it works very quick, but the risk of accidentally activating is there. Technical it works perfect, I can't remember that I had issues with a Fenix.

The tail-light has both a white as a red LED built-in. Like the main XHP35 HI front-LED, the white backlight is also a neutral one. The white backlight has become a favorite to me. Thanks to it 360-degree neutral white beam the TK47 can be used a great candle. Advantage of the length here: a "higher" candle is more comfortable during reading, so the TK47 has become my favorite light at my nightstand. The tail-light doesn't have mode-memory, it always starts in white. I wish Fenix added some more white output modes here. When on, short clicks will guide you through the next modes: constant red, red flash and red SOS. Especially for the flash and SOS-mode, the red LED could be a brighter one to me: 1,5 lumens isn't that much. Personally, I mostly use the red constant on mode during walking, I really like this option and its makes the TK47 an unique flashlight that both has a front and a backlight that can be used at same time.

Summarizing we can say the long-tubed TK47 can be used for long times at comfortable way. The grip is good and is doesn't get hot when used for long times at higher modes. The interface works fine, it doesn't need exercise. Some extra output modes would be a good option to me.

Modes:

The front-LED has totally four normal output modes: LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO. The TK47 has an "eco-mode", but not a real low. Because of the "only" four modes the steps between the modes are rather big, but this light is made to throw… One special mode here: STROBE. This is also the only direct-mode that can be found at the TK47. The backlight has two constant-on modes: WHITE and RED. Special modes are here RED-FLASHING and RED-SOS. No VOLTAGE-indication at the TK47. Two ways to LOCK-OUT the front LED: by a double-click or by releasing the cap a little. No LOCK-OUT at the tail-light. So, the TK47 has a bunch of options and modes, but I would like to see some output modes and extra options like voltage-indication.

Size comparison:

To show that the TK47 is a tall but long flashlight, I put the light next to some other thrower-lights. Shown here: the Manker U21 that has the same LED but an 26650-cell, and the Armytek Barracuda that has a XP-L HI emitter and also two 18650's. I'll use these three later in my review again for the beamshots.

18650-cell, Manker U21, Armytek Barracuda Pro V2 and Fenix TK47

Manker U21, Armytek Barracuda Pro V2 and Fenix TK47

the heads: XHP35 HI, XP-L HI and again XHP35 HI

the tails: Manker U21, Armytek Barracuda Pro V2 and Fenix TK47

Tint:

The TK47 comes only with neutral white LED. Side-by-side you see the tint of the Armytek Barracuda Pro V2 is maybe too cool, and the U21 has little greenish tint. The TK47 seems a bit yellowish, this is only at lowest modes. Overall, I like this tint, also because of the better color rendering.

Beamprofile:

The TK47 is a good thrower, but doesn't have an extremely deep reflector. There is emits a medium hotspot and corona and medium to large spill. Outdoors, this creates a rather thick but nice "light-saber", the TK47 can reach a nice distance. According Fenix this light should reach a distance that's beyond the visible limit: I can tell you this isn't true. To me, this light performed best upon about 400 meters away. The XHP35 HI creates a really nice beam, that makes this light a good option during searching, on your bike, or explore. The beam is free of artefacts and defects; neither I could detect PWM at any mode.

Beamshots:

Firstly, I'll show you the TK47 with the beam projected on a white wall. The four output modes shown here, followed by a GIF.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/200 sec, 35mm

GIF-picture

Some indoor-pictures now of the tail-light here. Lighting up a little room which is being renovated. The pictures nicely show the 360-degree beam that the white tail-light creates. Also the neutral tint is clearly shown here. The red light has little output and is only for close range.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/3.5, 1.6 sec, 27mm

Let's take the TK47 with us now when we go outside! Starting here by showing the four output modes of the main LED with the light positioned on a road with some trees and a wall.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm

a GIF-picture:

Some outdoor pictures of the tail-light now. Because this light (especially the white mode) radiates a 360-degree beam I positioned my tripod further away. The distance is about five meters. I placed the TK47 on a picnic bench. The white light is usable at this way to illuminate the bench without blinding your eyes; the red option is best for marking or signaling.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm

Let's see now how the main LED of the TK47 performs against the Manker U21. This 26650-cell-light is powered by a cool-white LED and has equal performance.

the TK47 against the Manker U21, both at Turbo:

The Armytek Barracuda has about the same length as the TK47, but a much deeper reflector. This light has clearly better throw but also less output.

the TK47 against the Armytek Barracuda Pro V2, both at Turbo

The second location is a tree line at about 175 meters away. The humidity was rather high, little foggy weather here. So these pictures show the light-saber that the three create.. Starting by showing the TK47 here.

the Fenix TK47 at maximum output

the TK47 against the Manker U21, both at Turbo

Here's another picture of the TK47 at turbo. Because of the high humidity you can see clearly see here the saber that the light creates.

Another beamshot here, the tripod placed some further away.

Again a picture that shows the throw of the TK47. Less humidity here, the tree is about 200 meters away.

the Fenix TK47 turbo mode

the TK47 against the Manker U21, both at Turbo:

Conclusion:

The long and slim TK47 is a very nice addition to the Fenix-family. Nice fact is that the manufacturer came with something new to me: the white/red tail-light. This gives the opportunity to use this torch nearby but also far away. You can both light up your picnic-bench and tent, but also do a search-job using the TK47. Both head- and tail-light can be used together too. This is a very strong point of this torch! About overall quality, I can be short: This is a Fenix. That means that the machining and the finishing on this high-quality-light are done very well. I also like the nice neutral-white beam that has good throw. I would like to see at least a direct-turbo mode on this light. The smooth 360-degree beam of the tail-light is a very handy feature, also for night-reading. I'd like to see some extra white output modes here and a brighter red LED.

Overall, I'm happy with this light, I carried it for long times without getting tired of it, thanks to the small tube, even when wearing gloves. Another good product made by Fenix!

Special thanks to Fenixlight and KATO for providing the Fenix TK47!

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, sir. Thank you!

Very nice looking light, just wish it wasn't pushing 11" in length.

AGFN

Newly Enlightened
Great post! Love the chosen lineup and the small differences in reflector design that show as great differences in the beam profile. I guess the neutral white has less penetrating power than the cool white leds do but your pictures show the colors pop out much more in neutral white; big win for me! We can all spend a lot of words on design features but where it comes to designing a versatile and usable thrower, Fenix have done a great job with this TK47.
Thank you, KJ. Go Fenix!

proceed5

Enlightened
Great review KJ75.
And as usual thanks for your photo comparisons.
Good light this TK47, like it a lot.
Agreed, we want direct access to Turbo.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

I agree with the opinion that it should have direct access to turbomode(which shall not be included in the memory) and that it should have battery indicator. By the way; I would like to see a runtime graph of turbomode.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Any chance of getting a UE version to review and comapre to? I don't have much use for a dedicated thrower but the UE version looks perfect for my uses, just curious of the beam profile and exsctly what tye tint is like.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review! Any chance of getting a UE version to review and comapre to? I don't have much use for a dedicated thrower but the UE version looks perfect for my uses, just curious of the beam profile and exsctly what tye tint is like.

+1 on that the spill on this looks pretty good for a thrower. Love to see the difference between the two.

gilson65

Newly Enlightened
Yes thank you for your review great light. Only criticism with this light is battery tube inner diameter. MY keepower 3400's were a little tight to remove whereas eagtac 3400's were good

Latest posts