Acebeam        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RIP Popular Photography

Flashaholic*

Default Re: RIP Popular Photography

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Now my lottery windfall would involve a Zeiss 50mm prime. I almost bought one when they were like $500. When the next B&H catalog arrived they were $750. Doh!!
    The Voightlander 58mm f/1.4 is sharper than the ZEISS 50mm. Plus the Voightlander is chipped so just like the Nikon P series lenses talks with the body.

But if a winning ticket falls in my lap I'd still use my D7000, but I'd opt for a titanium tripod instead of alluminum.
    Titanium wouldn't make a good tripod material due to the spring property. If money is no object, a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod is the way to go. For a carbon tripod suitable for long heavy glass, you're looking at $1k minus the head.

I've got a few of the Gitzo mono pods, one medium duty Gitzo tripod and numerous Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum super duty tripods. Arca Swiss B1 and Z1 ball heads.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Agreed. Not bad for $600.
    Now my lottery windfall would involve a Zeiss 50mm prime. I almost bought one when they were like $500. When the next B&H catalog arrived they were $750. Doh!!

But if a winning ticket falls in my lap I'd still use my D7000, but I'd opt for a titanium tripod instead of alluminum.

Edit: It just dawned on me that I opted for alluminum back when for better shock absorption as the mirror slap of my camera caused slight blur when I used my wifes titanium tripod. My Kirk ball head is so dang rigid even the slightest vibrations were not attenuated and that showed up in my long exposure night shots. Decent 8x10's resulted but crops were out. Even using a remote. I did discover the shear brute weight of my D700 and good lenses did a proper absortion. Or at least much better. Plus the weight of alluminum seemed to play nice with mid speed sundown shots in windy conditions...
    In a pinch, hang your camera bag (filled with whatever clean you have on you) from the center of the tripod. It works well for stabilization. These days you may be using a stabilized lens, but you need to be careful as depending on the lens, shutter speed, and focal length, you could be better off without the stabilization.

a 50 on an APS-C sensor is equivalent to like ~75mm, tho, right? And the 35mm on a crop is more like a 50mm on a Full Frame. So, what might seem a boring lens on a full-frame is maybe less boring on a crop... people always get confused by the multiplier.

I take it the $500 body is obviously not a full frame? Or maybe a D610 that got dropped in a swamp?

Quote Originally Posted by joelbnyc View Post
    a 50 on an APS-C sensor is equivalent to like ~75mm, tho, right? And the 35mm on a crop is more like a 50mm on a Full Frame. So, what might seem a boring lens on a full-frame is maybe less boring on a crop... people always get confused by the multiplier.

I take it the $500 body is obviously not a full frame? Or maybe a D610 that got dropped in a swamp?
    75mm and fast, a $100 portrait lens..

The body is a bright and clean APS-C Pentax (shown with the matching kit lens, not the 50mm prime)
    Last edited by StarHalo; 03-28-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
    The Voightlander 58mm f/1.4 is sharper than the ZEISS 50mm. Plus the Voightlander is chipped so just like the Nikon P series lenses talks with the body.

Titanium wouldn't make a good tripod material due to the spring property. If money is no object, a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod is the way to go. For a carbon tripod suitable for long heavy glass, you're looking at $1k minus the head.

I've got a few of the Gitzo mono pods, one medium duty Gitzo tripod and numerous Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum super duty tripods. Arca Swiss B1 and Z1 ball heads.
    I meant carbon fiber. Had just returned from wedding band shopping and had titanium/tungston on the brain.

I like the ziess better. I prefer manual focus for macros anyway. Autofocus is like google. It tries to guess what I'm thinking and gets it wrong 98% of the time.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-28-2017 at 05:22 AM.
    John 3:16
    "The only friends I have from France are french fries" -PK

Flashaholic

Take a look at these pictures-yes they are clean

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ny-Awards.html

Flashaholic*

I meant carbon fiber. Had just returned from wedding band shopping and had titanium/tungston on the brain.

I like the ziess better. I prefer manual focus for macros anyway. Autofocus is like google. It tries to guess what I'm thinking and gets it wrong 98% of the time.
    Bykfixer, the Voightlander lens' are manual focus lenses. The lens has a chip inside so that you can get full info transfer between the lens and camera. Ya still gotta focus.

Macro/micro lenses are best used in manual focus. The 55, 105 and 200mm macro lenses are some of the sharpest lenses Nikon ever produced. I recently started using my Nikon 70-180 micro zoom again. If traveling light, I'll carry my 20-35, the 28-70 and 70-180 lenses.

Zeiss lenses have for years had what was referred to as Zeiss pop. The 58 Vioghtlander has better pop than the 50mm Zeiss.

The lens is retro old school in design, all metal and glass. They look like the 1970's Nikon AI lenses.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

I like zeiss better... let's say we just leave it there,
    But thanks for the tip(s).

I had a subscription to one of those magazines when I first got into the hobby. Really great work in there. Cant say that I miss using film, but it's very sad that really good photographers are struggling. I will certainly miss the photo mags...
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Pocket Power Series Custom Maglites , + DIY parts and more!

Like you I use manual for macros, but rarely use manual for anything else. It's usually easier to just move the autofocus point and let the camera do its work. I hated taking pictures of people before autofocus. They move too much!! The touch screen on the D5500 is great for quickly picking the focus point.

It's probably sacrilegious to even say it, but wide open, the Sigma 50mm/1.4 is sharper than the Zeiss 50mm once you get outside the center. Very good sharpness across the whole field wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    75mm and fast, a $100 portrait lens..
    Well it sounds fast, but remember that F1.8 on an APC does not behave the same as F1.8 on full frame. That is something that many a professional photographer does not know.

Not only is the depth of field of a 75mm/F1.8 FF not the same as a 50mm/F1.8 APS-C, but the light gathering on the full frame is much larger. For a given number of pixels, the F1.8 on the full-frame is going to have quite a bit more signal to noise ratio at the same shutter speed versus an F1.8 on an APS-C.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Last edited by ssanasisredna; 03-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    Well it sounds fast, but remember
    Multiply aperture by crop factor.

Arca Swiss B1 and Z1 ball heads.
    Love those ball heads!

Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    Like you I use manual for macros, but rarely use manual for anything else. It's usually easier to just move the autofocus point and let the camera do its work. I hated taking pictures of people before autofocus. They move too much!! The touch screen on the D5500 is great for quickly picking the focus point.
    There are times in crowded situations where I use manual focus at a distance as well. The shot that comes to mind was a gold finch I had watched building a nest and when it finally decided it was finished I wanted a photo of it peeking out from its camoflauge of a cluttered walnut tree branch. Another was a momma downy woodpecker feeding its youngan on a branch of an oak tree surrounded with lots of little branches and twigs. My auto focus kept guessing the wrong places to focus on and I was using a very shallow depth of field setting. Little ole birdy aint gonna sit around all day waiting for the Nikon to guess correctly so I just flip my little switch off when it's close and tweak it from there.

If I did architecture, re-enactments and outdoor landscapes of epic proportions I'd probably get squeemish about a little blur at the edges. Instead I use my gear for what it does. Knowing the little flaws are present I take that into account and rarely shoot above an f/8 anyway. And if I do the edges are either framed as such or typically treated to a vignette post camera.

Cannot speak for current Shutterbug Magazine but at one point they had excersizes to try. Take your camera to your back yard, mark out a 10'x10' area and spend an hour snapping pictures of that area. Minimum 25 photos. Or the one where you take your top 10 most recent botched shots and tailor them post camera to keepers. Using grayscale, blurring and what-not some really awful blowouts, chopped off heads and such can be made into pretty cool photos.

I saw a bunch of micro niche latest fads type mags compete with the big companies for what crumbs of ad $ remained and thought "man these guys are gonna be gone in two years. Too bad they'll take folks like Popular Photography down with them along the way".

RIP this thread.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-30-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234