Eneloops discontinued at Costco (USA)?

Wicho

Enlightened
For the last few weeks, every Costco I've been to in San Diego has had the eneloop 10 AA and 12 AAA packs at the regular price of $19.99 but the tag on the shelf has an asterisk. Anyone know if they are being replaced with something else?

Also, I saw the Costco Canada website has an Eneloop Pro combo pack available with charger...wonder if we're getting those as replacements?

Wondering if I should stock up before they're gone or hang in there. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw them all about a week, or two, ago at my local Costco. Don't know if they're blowing them out, but they've had the AA, AAA and combo packs for a while now.

Chris

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My former mentor has a son in management of Costco. He told stories of times like when Coke told them to raise their prices and the next day every form of any Coca Cola product was either removed or being removed from every Costco.
He said one time when Costco got into selling coffee the futures market went through the roof, and that 2 hot dog makers went belly up when Costco decided to make their own.

Makes me wonder if Panasonic pissed off Costco or just cannot keep them stocked lately.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every store's different.

My Costco has had them for 5 years, but sometimes I've seen them out, like any other item/store on Earth.

Personally, they're right next to the Duracells and Rayovacs, so I'm guessing that most people at a Costco, don't even know what they are.

Chris

EseriesModder

Newly Enlightened
I actually bought a new combo set a few weeks ago and had the charger burn out on me after only using it once. When I went to return it I saw a pile of combos sitting in a stack behind the customer service counter, so I decided to get a refund instead of a replacement. I assumed at the time that they just got a bad batch. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I hope they get it sorted out, since they're the only reasonable place to buy rechargeables in person.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Big box stores have a practice of signing big deals with suppliers taking a substantial portion of their production. They then begin squeezing them on price. Poor supplier who committed too much of his business to that one customer.

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
FYI the 8AA + 4AAA set that includes the charger is currently on-sale nation-wide for $24. I believe until the end of the month. But, for some reason, they are not marked that way in all stores. My store (near LAX) had no signage but it still ran-up with the instant coupon.

HwyChef

Newly Enlightened
Here in the San Francisco area (East Bay) our Costcos have the Eneloop multi packs stocked. They do seem to come and go during the year. I remember last summer, when all the solar items were out on display, you could not find Eneloop in the store.

Wicho

Enlightened
Well, I've asked at Costco and they can't give me info on if they will be replaced or just discontinued. My two regular Costcos are almost completely out of everything - one had three of the multi-packs with chargers left and no AA and AAA packs, another over 20 of those and only AAA 12 packs left.

I'm hopeful they will be replaced with new battery colors or the combo packs with C & D adapters but just in case they aren't I bought some to replace my near 10 year old cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've asked at Costco and they can't give me info on if they will be replaced or just discontinued. My two regular Costcos are almost completely out of everything - one had three of the multi-packs with chargers left and no AA and AAA packs, another over 20 of those and only AAA 12 packs left.

I'm hopeful they will be replaced with new battery colors or the combo packs with C & D adapters but just in case they aren't I bought some to replace my near 10 year old cells.

You can get legitimate Eneloop C/D adapters, both Gen. 1s and Gen. 2s, off of Ebay all day long. Gen. 2s have the screw on backs, FWIW.

The AAs in the 10 pack are dark blue and the AAAs in the 12 pack are silver, so while not groundbreaking, they're a bit different from the typical white wrappers.

Chris

BusDriver

Newly Enlightened
Looks like they're back in stock, in a new green plastic packaging and format. I bought a bunch for Christmas gifts.

Last edited by a moderator:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they're back in stock, in a new green plastic packaging and format. I bought a bunch for Christmas gifts.

Yep. They were marked down to $19.99 for a couple weeks after black Friday, then went back up to $29.99, and I guess they're back down to $19.99 again.

Since they disappeared last year after Christmas, and I think also the year before, I get the impression this might be something they carry only for the holidays, so folks can power whatever gadgets they're buying.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. They were marked down to $19.99 for a couple weeks after black Friday, then went back up to $29.99, and I guess they're back down to $19.99 again.

Since they disappeared last year after Christmas, and I think also the year before, I get the impression this might be something they carry only for the holidays, so folks can power whatever gadgets they're buying.

In the Memphis area Costco stores, Eneloop packs are available year round. I suspect that each store manages its inventory separately since I've seen one store stop carrying an item for months that the other store keeps in stock.

--flatline

ChibiM

Enlightened
2019-05

Just received a message asking if Costco stopped selling eneloops.
Anyone else seen that Eneloops were unavailable at Costco?

Might be a regional/local thing?

Just asking

fmc1

Enlightened
2019-05

Just asking

Marco

There are only two Costco stores that I go to and they both are almost exactly the same. In both the availability of Eneloops is very seasonal. In the last few years they normally start stocking them in the beginning of October and by about the beginning of April they are sold out. Then the cycle repeats the following year.

Frank

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
2019-05

Just asking

I figured as much.

Costco moves along and rotates through things and I'm sure that most uniformed users didn't give them a second glance sitting next to all of Duracell and Kirkland primaries. It's been over a year since I last saw them at the Costco across my lake here in Miami and I've been to many other Costco's as well.

Bummer, but I actually never bought Eneloops from any Costco, even when they were carried, lol, so I guess it's no big loss for me?

Chris