NightSun, VSS-3A, Starburst - Taking The Heavy Iron Out For A Walk In the Park

BVH

Flashaholic
I finally had the opportunity to take three of my "Heavy Iron" lights for real world "exercise". Believe it or not, I've had my VSS-3A since about 2007, My NightSun since about 2013 and my Starburst since about 2014 and this is the first time I've had the opportunity to see them perform horizontally at a ground-based range instead of pointing into the sky at clouds. There are posts specific to these lights so I won't go into much detail about them but wanted to share the beam shots. All lights are being powered by my 9-cell, 30V/100Ah LiPePo4 pack and are running at least 28.5 Volts to the light input.

Thanks to member Froggy Taco for providing the venue and pics from his great camera. The target trees are at 990 Yard and 1230 Yard distances. Each light was shot hitting the target trees. There are also shots closer in for the NightSun since this light is usually used at distances of from 500 to 1000 feet when installed on helicopters. I did my very best in trying to end up with posted pics that represent what we saw. I would probably have used the next brightest version of the pic for normal ambient light viewing. Froggy used 1.0, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.5 second exposures at f/7.1. I then picked the one most representative and used it. The camera used is an Olympus OM-D E-M1 with an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f/1.8 lens. The temp was about 52 with light winds so you might see some particulates in the beams.

The first two daytime pics are of the range. However, the pic is from a shoot a couple years ago and this time, we were about 100' left of the position from which these pics were taken so relationships of objects is a bit different. Also only the middle red circle is relevant as it is the 990 Yard target tree. The 1230 Yard target tree is the more fuller, darker, taller vertical foliage tree just to the left of the left red circle. (I forgot to get a new daytime shot) The white objects in the foreground are stacks of shipping containers for scale.

I will say that I was Very impressed with the performance of the 500 Starburst. We shot the two Spectrolabs on night 2 of the two-night shoot and to me, I thought the Starburst performance was very close if not the same as the VSS-3A but these pics show differently and they were the longest exposures I had to choose from.

And yes, the trees and beams are as bright as you see here, no exaggeration.

Spectrolab 500 Watt Starburst at 990 Yards

VSS-3A 990 Yards Spot Beam

Spectrolab 1600 Watt NightSun at 990 Yards

Starburst at 1230 Yards

VSS-3a 1230 Yards Spot Beam

NightSun at 1230 Yards

Here's some picks of the VSS-3A in Spread Beam/Flood mode:

VSS-3A 990 Yards Spread Beam

VSS-3A 1230 Yards Spread Beam

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Taking The Heavy Iron Out For A Walk In the Park

Very nice shots guys!

can definitely see the difference between them at those distances!. it looks like the VSS-3A is almost an even column of light where as the other 2 are very heavy centered but with a lot more spill. what's the physical size comparison between the 3?

BVH

Flashaholic

I have to add the close-up shots and some pretty shots of the shutdown glow from the NS lamp. From memory, the NS is a 12" diameter/16" long cylinder, about 35 lbs, the Starburst is a 7" cylinder about 12" long, maybe 8-10 lbs and the -3A is about a 16-18" cube and 75 lbs.. I should have taken shots of them together, darn it. Added info about exposure times.

ven

Flashaholic

WOW that is literally out of this world...............amazing! I bet there were some big :grin2:'s

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

The VSS-3A beamshot is muquing afazing!

Why do some people have large lights? Turn it on, and see!

Thanks for posting your exciting beamshots!

ven

Flashaholic

Mr buff, why do i envision you on your 6mile nightly walk , with a VSS-3A under each arm...............:naughty:

BVH

Flashaholic

Here's a few fun shorter distance/working distance shots from the NightSun

750 feet flood (center of spot)

Front view with light running

350 feet flood

At 1200 feet flood

Close-up of above

1200 feet tightest focus - the spot appears a little to bright in this shot.

Target tree at 1230 Yards

Anode Afterglow

More afterglow

ven

Flashaholic

Oh.................WOW WOW WOW , sat here just grinning ear to ear. I would be just giggling to myself if i switched one of those babies on. Its beyond impressive..........did i say WOW

:rock:

PolarLi

Enlightened

That is some really nice shots :thumbsup: Thanks for posting!

EDIT, forgot to ask, what was the distance between the camera and the lights for the beamshots in post #1?

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

Approx 20 feet with a solid wall blocking view of one another in the "official" shots in post 1.

Hi BVH, great beamshot photos and it's wonderful to reconnect after the last time we met at L.A. Flashapalooza in 2007.

CPF is a wonderful community. Here is a photo of me from the Flashapalooza nearly 10 years ago:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

Wow! hard to believe 10 years has gone by since that meet. Thanks goes to Froggy for the great shots. I just provided the "iron".

larryk

Enlightened

Great shots, the NightSun is incredible. Thanks to you and Froggy for taking the time and patience to finally get some horizontal shots of these powerful lights. I didn't see a wattage for the VSS-3. I'm sure most know that it is 1000 watts.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened

Its funny in the other thread with the LX-70 superpower i though to myself BVH should bring some other big lights out but thought it would be too much to ask :), so thanks for doing all this.

Now just need someone with a AN/TVS-3 or Carbon Arc for another comparison :)

That Nightsun is amazing to see at those ranges, as a kid i have been lit up by one of those in my garden as the police heli was searching around for someone, i remember being amazed by the power and how cool it was seeing the beam changing as they were focusing it, i waved at them they waved back smiling :)

Loved seeing the VSS-3A in its wide setting as i cant remember seeing a shot like that and is seriously impressive seeing it light up so much of the hill.

Thanks Froggy. BVH, I am over 3 years late to the party. However, a hearty hoo-rah to your Spectrolab 1.6kw Nightsun Helicopter Searchlight. That is unreal.:bow::bow::bow: Yet it is the required Search and Rescue illumination tool for any such operations and activity. Everything else, like my Acebeam X65vn Spec 2, is comparatively not powerful enough to be a primary S&R illuminator. We can call it a Wow fun toy that can double as a supplemental SAR illumination torch. It won't be powerful enough as a primary Helicopter Spotlight/Searchlight however. :D You have the real one.

I have come to realize everything I have been buying are Indoor SAR illumination tools! LOL! You have enlightened me, my old Master!

free picture hosting

Last edited:

ncgrass

Enlightened
Wow, that's just incredible. Awesome to see those lights in a setting I can understand. That's one mighty trio of lights! I'm a thrower kinda guy, but that flood is unreal!

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha that NightSun and VSS-3A are insane!!! Is there much size difference between the 2? Froggy has the best playground!