Single 18650 recommendations.

Shniggysaurus

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking to buy a new light that is pocket size but not necessarily edc size. I have an eagletac d25c and a t6vn which I couldn't be happier with, but I'd like something to sort of fill the gap. I'm looking at something like the zebra light sc600 or vinhs take on the eagtac tx25c2 but some of the newer eagtac offerings look really nice. I'll post details below and let me know what you guys think.

2) Budget: under $200

3) Format.
__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
X___SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_X___I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

most likely 18650

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
The USB rechargeable is very enticing. I especially like the USB c offerings from eagletac. But USB charging is not a deal breaker

8) lumens : 1000 but preferably closer to 1500 or 2000

9) Flood vs throw
more throw than flood.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__X__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: not too important

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
___X_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
___X_IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
__X__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

thanks for the help!!!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
150 plus yards of throw in a small flashlight: Convoy C8 XP-L Hi with programmable driver ~$25, although Eagtac has some choices for you, they are not pocket carry per se.

0-8-15 User

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI, and I'm absolutely in love with it. The tint is perfect. It throws very well for its size and the transition to the spill is very nice. I don't have a single complaint about it yet.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I've been looking at the PFlex Pro modded Convoys. The Modded C8 Convoy gets 1200+ lumens with the right emitter. They guy has a great reputation for solid work from what I've read. $75 - $85.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Zebralight SC600 MK3. You have to have at least one of these in your line up of flashlights. They are cheaper now too, US89 Bucks shipped.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one is going to get 150+ yards of useable throw from that Zebralight. The compromise between size of flashlight and amount of throw will have to be made. Tonight we enjoyed a PFlexPRO XP-L Hi dropin inside a compact Oveready host but it does not throw as far as the Convoy C8 with the same emitter.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the "normal" part of Your request is easy, as all the others have typed a few lights
personally I would not go for any of them, because I simply hat(ed) every "ready made" light I purchased the last years - their tint lottery annoys me ..
so I always opt for a good 18650 "P60" host light + a P60 led insert in the tint and level choice one prefers

the "special" part is more difficult; with the main question: an 1*18650 light for searching from a helicopter?
not quite useful ... You are sitting at a big power source, why not use a real searchlight that gets its power from the heli?

if it still has to be "small" and handheld: --> custom job!
* 18650 host light in "C-neck" + P60 led insert + an additional BIG reflector ... --> http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?239882-Surefire-Deep-Turbo-C-Head
or possibly
* an 18650 host light for a "D36" led insert

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are planning to do long-range searching beyond 150 feet, the lights i would recommend are:

1. Dereelight XSearcher (200,000+ lux)
2.Olight M2X-UT (160,000+ lux)
3. Nitecore P30 (90k lux)
4. Modded C8 (approx 90-100k lux)
5. Manker U21 (a bit big though, around 90k+ lux)
6. Jaxman X1 (cheap, around 90k+ lux too)

The trick there is finding the single 18650 light which the highest cd/lux and that's what you get. I also happen to collect single 18650 lights with the highest light intensities. :)