Do you miss incandescent lighting?

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
Tonight I was out walking, and I could see the rapid shift to LED. At least half of the lit porch lights have LED bulbs. CFL has taken the biggest beating, as I saw more incandescent/halogen bulbs than CFLs. Seems a lot of people are happy with LEDs.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I still buy incandescent light bulbs for enclosed light fixtures in my ceilings. I don't like CFLs for indoor use due to their mercury content, and LED bulbs will overheat in enclosed fixtures. I use LED bulbs in lamps and other open fixtures, but they are only passably OK at dimming.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Miss 'em?

I still use them as often as possible. Reading lamps, night lights, outdoor lighting and other lights in my home still have incan bulbs.
Clearance sales provided lots of supply for a lot less money.

Lights that are used every night to provide broad lighting in my home are CFL's or flourescent tubes. But as of 'pi' day 2017 there are zero LED light bulbs in my home.

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
Most of the overheads in our house are incan because they are in open globe ceiling fans.

We have CFL in the closed overheads. You have to be careful when buying them because some only work if they are vertical!!!

I have a single LED bulb in the fixture next to my computer. It's a desk lamp that I have pointed up. I use it when I'm just messing on the computer and don't need to see stuff (i.e., it lights up the room generally, but it doesn't light the desk.)

Outside we have incans on the security light on the corner of the house, and and CFLs in the carport fixtures.

KXA

Newly Enlightened
I've got LEDs in all of my indoor fixtures except for the kitchen where I use compact and linear fluorescent lights in 4100K (in enclosed fixtures), and in the garage where I use 5000K. On the exterior I have a halogen over the back deck (fixture is on dimmer), while the rest of the exterior is 13w and 23w 3500K, CFL installed in old HID mini wallpacks.

Do I miss incandescent? Sometimes...but I don't miss the heat.

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
Incandescent is still the softest and easiest to focus on with the eyes because the majority of the blue light in its spectrum is comprised of longer blue wavelengths (470 to 490nm), as opposed to 450-455 for LED (white LEDs), or the harsh 430nm mercury line in CFL.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Incandescent is still the softest and easiest to focus on with the eyes because the majority of the blue light in its spectrum is comprised of longer blue wavelengths (470 to 490nm), as opposed to 450-455 for LED (white LEDs), or the harsh 430nm mercury line in CFL.

Focus on how? For reading?

Incan unless very bright lacks sufficient blue to close the pupil which results in poor depth of field and associated poor focus when reading, doing fine work or working visually at mixed distances.

Incan is pleasant at low levels for reasons somewhat like stated. Less glare impact.

Last edited:

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
I converted all of my lights in my house to LED's. They are all warm white 2700k-3000k and never looked back!