RofisLight        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED or other upgrades for '91 Dodge Pickup

Default Re: LED or other upgrades for '91 Dodge Pickup

Which one of these Philips 1157 replacements is the correct one for early 90s Dodge truck tail lamps ?

12899RX2 or 12836REDB2 ?
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 03-14-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Use these for the brake/tail lamps and these for the reversing lamps.

Already have the reversing lamps, the linked tail/brake lamps just ordered....

I finally installed Zevo 1157A in the front signal lamps.

The fill is bright, clear and an almost identical amber to the 2357A I removed.

Not sure if "brighter" but a faster rise time as far as the flashers/hazards.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised, and these should last a bit longer than incandescents with the DRL-1 :-)

Aside from the lower amp drain, will all these LEDs really provide more seeing for other drivers compared to 1157A, 3496 and 796?

Not no mention zero deicing capabilities from the Zevo & Extreme Vision LEDs :-D

.4w/1.5w is what the package said.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 03-14-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Font/Color tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Ofelas View Post
    Aside from the lower amp drain, will all these LEDs really provide more seeing for other drivers compared to 1157A, 3496 and 796?
    What does the lower current use have to do with providing more seeing?

Also, see #2 in this thread.

"Aside" as in 2 separate situations

1/ I know they draw less current - good
    2/ Do they provide more "seeing" for other drivers - maybe? yes? no?

I am leaning towards playing safe & just using 1157A/2357NA LL up front, and 3496 + 796 out back.

The current draw doesn't really bother me that much, all upgraded wiring, headlamp switch ox-garded, spares take a few minutes to change out, and I rarely have the additional load of trailer lighting with this truck.

Safety & visibility is what I'm after.
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 03-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Is your pickup's alternator having a hard time with the original lighting current draw? I can understand concerns when bolting on a bunch of aftermarket driving lights, such as lights with 100/130 watts ratings, (and mounting a handful of them), but even a stock modern day pickup, if it has AC is usually going to have ample current on tap-especially if all you are changing out are your tail-lights, dash lights, side marker lights, etc. I realize the current drop for some headlight systems can be a concern, but saving .5 of an ampere on a backup bulb or whatever, seems rather moot.
    I can understand wanting to change to LED IF for the visual difference reasons. I get that.

Hello Bill, not sure how to do the separated quotes, so I'll answer your queries in point form.

1/ Not concerned about amperage draw at all. I have a 160amp at idle & 220amp max under load alternator, feeding a healthy Odyssey group 31 which tested at about 10% above rated specs. The oem alternator, by the way, was 90amp at idle & 120amp under load

2/ Yes, its my most modern pickup being a 91.5 model. No ignition system, thankfully.

3/ Actually, visually, I cannot stand LEDs. I much prefer incandescents and the warm hue that DC intended before Mercedes & FIAT got their grubby little paws on them.

I would go LEDs on the non headlamp bulbs if others have an easier time seeing me. I only have so many NOS fenders & bumpers.

I do, however, have Rigid dually LED lamps frenched into both bumpers for "fog" and "extra backup lamps" operated by standalone switches.

Thanks, I believe you have just reinforced my conviction to stay with 3496 & 796 on the rear end :-)
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 03-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Actually, visually, I cannot stand LEDs. I much prefer incandescents and the warm hue that DC intended before Mercedes & FIAT got their grubby little paws on them.
    LOL! This is a joke...right?

Hello Bill, not sure how to do the separated quotes, so I'll answer your queries in point form.
    It's pretty easy to do, but I suppose not the most critical skill to have...

Actually, visually, I cannot stand LEDs. I much prefer incandescents and the warm hue that DC intended before Mercedes & FIAT got their grubby little paws on them.
    Everyone knows it was Marvel, not DC, who had their efforts stymied by FCA.

Joking aside, I'm sure many of us would appreciate warmer white LEDs, and a slight ramp up/down with LED turn signal, so long as it's still got a faster rise time than incandescent. (There was a time I'd get almost queasy watching certain LED bus/truck turn signals snap on and off so abruptly, but I got used to it.) But lighting first and foremost is a safety thing-- besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ed Zachary, Alaric,

Why on earth would I want my belching, fragrant, SubLime, eco friendly 6BT pickup to be mistaken for a cool white, soulless, regurgitated Prius or Uno or Smart.

Dome, map, glovebox and underhood lamps - "warm white" superbrightled bulbs did the trick; OEM color, less amp draw, longevity and all.

I draw the line at external old school visibility. Gotta keep the winged chrome tipped young 'uns at bay. Incandescents de ice lamp lenses to boot.

Temporary moments of madness with the whole small bulb LED madness, I'm back on the righteous path once more.

Virgil, I almost feel distraught that you question my "OEM hue OCD"...I'm off to make a hot cup of cocoa & sulk.
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 03-14-2017 at 12:26 PM.

I think I'll go with the "SAE" Rigids to replace my amber duallys.
    No sense trying to fit a round JWD fog lamp into a square hole.
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 03-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Rise time is how fast it flashes? I'm getting approx 13.8v at the headlamp & front signal sockets

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    You'll lose that rise time-- the rise time is longer for the 2357 vs. the 1157. And if you have any voltage sag at all, that rise time goes up and the intensity goes down. I think the LED is way to go.
    Will the long life version of the 2357NA make it legal for DRL-1 use? I'm not sure how many hours the LL version is rated at on the bright filament.

I drive this vehicle about an hour a day, 400hrs a year at most.

Wouldn't mind having a slightly brighter flasher than the 1157NA, if you folks feel the rise time is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post
    No, it is not. At that point you'd be looking at something like a 2357A or 2357NA. Brighter, but short life and rapid blackening, and way too short a life to be compatible with DRL operation.

Rise time is how fast it flashes? I'm getting approx 13.8v at the headlamp & front signal sockets
    Rise time== how long it takes for the filament to reach its full luminance (if it even DOES). The more-starved for voltage a bulb is the slower the filament heats up, and could possibly not reach the maximum luminance.

13.8V at the socket is meaningless if you're not testing the circuit under load properly. Metering an open socket isn't accurate.

Will the long life version of the 2357NA make it legal for DRL-1 use?
    A "long life" bulb is poor economy; they start blackening fairly quickly and will keep "lighting up" even after the envelope looks like a black pearl.

13.61 at pass side HL socket with low beams on and 13.77 on front signal socket (dips to 13.65 momentary with flasher)

Ah. So when the 2357NALL bulb gets a few hours, it starts blackening, and the effective lumens is no different than a 1157NA bulb through its life time, or something like that?

Surmising, should I stick with 1157NA or go 1157NALL ?

13.61 at pass side HL socket with low beams on and 13.77 on front signal socket (dips to 13.65 momentary with flasher)
    Measure just like you would with headlamps.

So when the 2357NALL bulb gets a few hours, it starts blackening, and the effective lumens is no different than a 1157NA bulb through its life time, or something like that?
    The lumen maintenance goes down quickly because of the blackening, and they can so-blacken the envelope that they really reduce the output. A standard bulb will also start blackening but they usually burn out before reaching the reduced translucency a long life bulb would get.

Surmising, should I stick with 1157NA or go 1157NALL ?
    Standard life for DRL usage. For turn signal usage, long life would be OK, since inrush current on a dead-cold filament will pop them sooner, but if they're in a DRL they will get more of a chance to blacken.

Thanks Alaric.

Standard 1157NA it is then.

Would you choose - all in 1157NA standard life flavor -

Hella, CEC, Eiko, Philips or GE?

From what I see online the Hella 1157NA likely has a nickel base & oval contacts, the others brass bases I think.

Not sure of any other differences that may make the Hella better than the rest.
    Last edited by Ofelas; 03-20-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Not sure of any other differences that may make the Hella better than the rest.
    Hella don't make their own bulbs, so there's that.

If you can find a good quality amber 1157 with the big oval contacts and plated base, that would be preferable to the unplated brass base and small dot contacts.

Done, picked up a 10 pack of Hella natural amber colored glass, oval contacts, nickel plated base.

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post
    If you can find a good quality amber 1157 with the big oval contacts and plated base, that would be preferable to the unplated brass base and small dot contacts.

SF 6P/G2/E2e/E2d/E2DL/E1e/L2/A2-PP(R)/A2(G)/L1(R)/L1(G)/M95/KL4(x2)/KL4(Blk)
    Gladius,Inova X5(R),Microlight(G)
    Costco/HF HID

Jim does some nice work, but no thanks.
    Those TL/Grote housings are too fugly, and offer me no visibility advantages over incandescents seeing as I don't have wiring, amperage or existing lens clarity issues.

I had a 84 with the one piece signal housing and epoxied them o to the rear of the housings using the stock front lenses. You could do something similar
    Costco/HF HID

Jim does some nice work, but no thanks.
    Who's Jim?

Those TL/Grote housings are too fugly
    As installed in that photo, yeah, they look kind of half between industrial and desperate.

offer me no visibility advantages over incandescents
    Well, that depends on which light units you use. The ones in the pic aren't a bad design, but they're an old design and not an especially high-performing one. These, on the other hand, give much better output (=visibility) than the incandescents on that truck.

Put the 1157R Philips Xtreme in the taillamp of another project 92 Dodge pickup, works/flashes/hazards good.

Added the Sylvania Xevo 1157 amber to the fronts, weirdism.

Fronts stay on, flasher works out rear but not in the front, and hazards don't flash.

Normal? Do I need a resistor or something wired into the turn signal flasher, the hazard flasher, or both?

Side markers are still incandescents.

Incandescent side markers are probably causing at least part of this problem; on that truck they have one wire to the front position (parking) lamp + and the other wire to the front turn signal +. That works with incandescents in both front park/turn and side marker lights, but it depends on current flowing in both directions so not with LEDs. See if removing the side marker bulbs makes everything work correctly. The permanent fix, if you're keeping LEDs, is to put in a module described on this page to maintain the side markers' turn signal function and stop them from back-feeding the front LEDs.

As far as other flasher weirdness: are you using an LED compatible flasher, like this one (which has a ground wire you have to secure to a convenient ground)?

Got it.

Nope....I'll get one. Just a compatible turn signal flasher or needed hazard flasher to be LED compatible as well?

This one says its compatible with mixed LED & incan bulbs (trailer, for example) - http://www.memotronics.com/2-prong-e...-round-25-amp/

I'm assuming the United Pacific is as well?

Thx

Well, I know the one I linked works.

You might need two (one turn signal and one hazard) for everything to work right.

I had a problem with the Sylvania in my Jeep I had to rewire the sockets check the terminals
    Costco/HF HID

Yup, the ones that Virgil linked have the polarity reversing plug-in bases.

Virgil - the one you linked to can do a mix of LED and incans ?
    Last edited by Ofelas; 05-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast