Wood Tarp Clip - Make your own fasteners in the field when needed

patricksbushcraft

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you have a tarp you're using and you would like to expand its capabilities without punching holes into it or shrinking it by tying pebbles...

Back when I was traveling across country there was a time I needed some type of tarp clip or fastener to grab onto an edge of a high quality military poncho that I was using for shelter in a light snow storm. This poncho had limited grommets and I didn't want to punch any more holes, in turn weakening the poncho. I also did not want to tie pebbles onto the ponchos edge, because this would shrink the poncho up...

So as time has went on, two months had gone by and I had brainstormed on the idea of a DIY wood tarp clip / fastener that could be made out in the field out of a readily available branch or stick, I came up with something that worked...

I've found this simple tarp clip to be useful for various tasks around the campsite. This simple and easily made clip can be used for grabbing onto the edge - or the inside areas - of a material of pretty much any type, whether it be canvas, ripstop / sil nylon, plastic contractor trash bags, Grabber casualty blankets, mylar space blankets, heat sheets, tents, hammocks and mosquito / bug nets...You can even use these clips to stake tarps / tents edges to the ground. There's many possibilities for this little wooden fastener

Last edited:

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
That's slick. I only skimmed through the video but I'll study it later. I go camping for a long week every year and we set up a lot of tarps. Never seem to have a grommet exactly where I want one.