[Review] Nitecore NU10 Headlamp ... external power for the win!

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Hi All! I totally passed over the Nitecore NU10 for it only having 160 lumen but came back later and saw that it can actually RUN off of (and be charged by) your average external USB power bank! So I purchased a couple and decided to post a review. Feel free to ask if I left anything out. Hope you enjoy!

QUICK SPECS

Here is the specs from Nitecore's website. I ran the light on HIGH and got a total rundown time of 8 hours; and on MID I got 10 hours and 45 minutes. So far it seems that Nitecore is being very conservative on their runtimes and their numbers are seem like actual ANSI FL-1 rated runtimes. If I'm able, I'll also test the red light runtime.
nu10_en_17.jpg

Max Output160 lumens
Max Beam Distance35 m
Max Beam Intensity310 cd
Max Run time150 h 0 m / 6.25 d
LEDHigh performance LED
Battery900mAh, Rechargeable Li-ion
Special ModesLocation Beacon, SOS
Beam colorWhite light
Length60.5 mm / 2.38 in
Weight65 g / 2.29 oz
FeatureDual – Output, Rechargeable
ActivityGear, Outdoor/Camping
There is no specific specs on the multiple LED but it does have a faint purple/pink tint.

VIDEO OVERVIEW

I'm still a novice youtuber, but here's a quick video overview which includes discussing special features of the light, the user interface, and my overall thoughts.

LOOK & FEEL

First of all, the NU series has a WIDE range of exterior color options, for both the light housing and the strap. with total of seven options you will definitely be able to match what every your work or play outfit.
The buttons are large, are very easy to press, give a good click feedback noise, and can easily be used while wearing heavy gloves.
The headlamp tilts by using plastic tension, and has 3 different angles to a max of 60 degrees down. If you need to tilt up you can either hike the strap on to the crown of your head or you can turn the whole thing upside down (with the buttons facing the ground) and tilt it upwards.
Since the NU headlamp series is much lighter, there isn't much need for an over the head strap but it would help it from sliding down during vigorous activities; however, I found that using the proper tension or using a hat beneath the light helps .
The headband is soft and comfortable; however, sometimes when holding the light in the air, the strap hangs down and the buckle slides and makes a loop, so check that your strap buckles are positioned where you want them to be.

BEAM PROFILE

The beam profile is very floody with little to no defined hot spot. The beam angle is advertised as 170° and by using a printed protractor I measured and got the same angle.

nu10-gif-02.gif

BEAM COMPARISON

If you're wondering how the NU10 compares to some other Nitecore headlamps, here's a few beamshots from the NU10, HC30, and HC50. The HC50 as overall wide beam with a little bit of spot and the HC30 has less spill and more spot. Of course each light have different preset lumen outputs so it's sometimes hard to compare but you can get an impression of the overall beam profile.

Nitecore NU10Nitecore HC50Nitecore HC30

USER INTERFACE

So the light has a 2-button interface and is realitivley simple, the only tricky business is learning at firs how to cycle through the hidden modes.The power button is used to access the primary mode which always cycles up from low to mid to high. A separate "R" button is used for turning on the red light. The hidden modes are accessed by holding down the power button for 3 seconds, but if you want to cycle to the next hidden mode, be sure to single click the power button within 3 seconds, or you will turn off the light. Btw, if you wait 3 seconds in any mode, the next time you press that same button again, the light will turn off; it takes a little getting used to. The NU10 also has a battery level check and a lock out mode, which are a little unexpected for this economy headlamp, so that's great to see.
BATTERY

The light uses an integrated 900mAh which is a rather large batter for the lower rated lumen output. The battery only takes about an 1h 30min to charge which is pretty quick for lasting a little over 8 hours of light output. The best part of the light is being able to plug in an external power bank!

CHARGING

To charge the light, simply plug in the micro USB cable into the side of the headlamp and a red indicator light under the power button, will turn on steady; once charged, the light will turn steady green.

Charging with Nitecore F1 power bank

Green light indicates full charge

WARRANTY

Because the light has an integrated battery, the warranty is only for 1 year for free repair (cost of parts not included), so make sure you only buy from an authorized dealer (you can contact Nitecore's customer service to find one) or you will possibly waive your rights to the warranty . Also, take care to store your light properly, as the warranty does not cover damages caused by batter leakage. Check their website for their full terms of service(link is external).

PROS

• Has fantastic runtime
  • Quick recharge time
  • Can use external power bank for super extended runtimes!
  • Very easy-to-use buttons
  • Very light weight
  • Lots of color options
  • Full flood beam
  • Secondary red color is great for preserving night vision or for safety lighting
  • Actually comes with a micro USB cable!

OBSERVATIONS / WISH LIST

• Cycling through hidden modes is confusing at first
  • Some may not prefer that no matter what, if you wait 3 seconds, the next tap will turn the light off
  • Can sometimes slide down your head if not properly adjusted
  • The tiliting head takes a little bit of pressure to adjust, and is a bit noisy
  • USB port cover sometimes pops open
IN THE FIELD

nitecore-nu10-headlamp-revew-civilgear-177.jpg

Checking fluid levels

nitecore-nu10-headlamp-revew-civilgear-185.jpg

Inspecting construction staging area

nitecore-nu10-headlamp-revew-civilgear-192.jpg

Inspecting backhoe breaker attachment

PRICE

The going rate is about $30 USD but you can find this on sale for $25 or even $20.

THANKS FOR READING!

Disclaimers:

• CivilGear did not receive this product for free or at a deep discount.

Last edited: