Imalent        
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

Default Re: Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

It is not. The AA in the pic with the three lights is a stainless AA
    The AA in the pic with the two lights is the Ti AA I received today.
    Jeff

Less gritty threads than the AAA, but still not as well done as they could be.
    Probably try to get ahold of a Reylight driver for mine though, 14500 compatibility would help with the output.
    Speaking of which, the specs are inaccurate as expected, the output is about the same as the Reylight on AA.

Quote Originally Posted by spc View Post
    coated stainless?
    yes
    maratac and tool share the same black coated stainless clip
    TiTool has the Bling Stainless clip, they are interchangeable
    I know of someone that made their black clip shiny, with a lot of elbow grease

same clip in TactiCool or OfficeCool

Quote Originally Posted by J Smith View Post
    It is not.

thank you!
    Im clear now that the Rev 4 AA Ti light with a Ring has YesPWM
    just to be thorough:

does the AA Stainless light with NoRing, have PWM?

anticipate my next questions if you say NO:
    is the mode sequence on the NoRing Stainless AA MLH, is it a Rev 3? is the low mode lower than on the Rev 4?

online specs for the rev4 vary, some say 12 lumen, some say 5 lumen
    I dont recall the specs for the rev3 AA
    innacurate specs are only valid for comparison to equally innacurate specs,

Im still waiting for someone with a light meter to report actual lumens on the Rev4 AAA and AA
    I can teach you an easy way to measure lumens, if you own a light meter and want to brainstorm, PM me
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-20-2017 at 05:52 PM.

I need to report that I am feeling a little dumb about the statement of the brightness level. It has gotten dark enough now to really check them out. Wasn't impressed at all with the brightness level on the AA Nichia. When it got hear today I put a new lithium AA batery in it. I decided to check the battery as it wasn't coming close to the AAA with an older battery in it. That battery was weak,it is now putting out a nice amount of light. Kind of feel like the Sling Blade guy trying to start the mower "got gas in it?"
    Jeff

I'm glad the clip is stainless, if I can't find a Tool clip, I'm going to send mine to J Smith!

"got gas...?"
    funny!
    got eneloop?

Quote Originally Posted by spc View Post
    I'm going to send mine to J Smith!
    lol, include some eneloops ;-)
    or contact:
    https://countycomm.com/collections/a...nt=29711801612
    and ask for a spare silver one like they show on their Stainless TPF AAA light

theres even a brass plated clip (pic is a link):
    Quote Originally Posted by _UPz
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-20-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Received the AA Ti and AAA copper today. Sequence of AA model is LMH and it is MLH for the AAA version. Nice, clean tint too! If there is PWM in either light I definitely can't notice it but I'm sure once Jon gets his he can fill us in For my uses they'll both work great! The threads on the AAA copper are buttery smooth and surprisingly the AA titanium is very smooth with almost no grit. After my usual treatment for Ti it should be buttery smooth as well! Great lights and a good price too.

I think the SS AA is a rev 4,MLH and does have PWM. The only Maratac I have right now with no PWM is the AAA Ti.
    As far as the clip goes the SS AA came with a polished clip. I used a dremel with a polishing wheel with a med grit polishing compound to get the paint off the AAA clip then went back over it with a fine polish. Got really good at this with knife clips over the years. The AAA clip is a pain because of the size and all the bends and curves. It would be a lot easier with one of the scotch brite wheels to strip it but I was out of them.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    Received the AA Ti and AAA copper today. Sequence of AA model is LMH and it is MLH for the AAA version. Nice, clean tint too! If there is PWM in either light I definitely can't notice it but I'm sure once Jon gets his he can fill us in For my uses they'll both work great! The threads on the AAA copper are buttery smooth and surprisingly the AA titanium is very smooth with almost no grit. After my usual treatment for Ti it should be buttery smooth as well! Great lights and a good price too.
    What is your treatment for the ti threads? I would like to smooth my AAA out a little more.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    I actually find my AAA Maratac twisty has smoothed out a good bit over time and with the use of "super lube" on the threads. Seems to really help.
    What is your treatment for the ti threads?
    for my Titanium Thrunite I used:
    "a polishing wheel with a med grit polishing compound"
    after trying dielectric grease, I went with Nano Oil

I worked the threads by hand, with the O ring and battery removed, twisting the head slightly, pushing and pulling, to clear and smooth any galling.. it helped, but at the end what I realized is that even without an O ring the titanium will still gall against itself.. ymmv

as an aside, mix and matching a copper to Titanium Lego, makes for VERY smooth threads, eg, copper head on Ti Body and swap versa

just to give you some idea, though I dont have a TiMaratac..

What is your treatment for the ti threads? I would like to smooth my AAA out a little more.
    Super lube. Can buy it from amazon and some hardware stores might carry it. Works wonders on titanium threads, took my super gritty AAA and made it smooth after a few weeks of usage.

Thanks
    Wondering if pencil lead would work. Keeps ti framelock knives from sticking.
    Jeff

Thanks
    Wondering if pencil lead would work. Keeps ti framelock knives from sticking.
    Might be worth a shot, if you try it let us know how it does!

Would anyone who recently received the AAA Copper care to post some photos? Need something to hold me over until mine arrives on Thursday. : )
    Maratac AAA Rev 3, AAA Cu Rev 4 ][ Lumintop Tool Ti, Worm SS, IYP365 ][ L3 Illumination L11C ][ Fenix E05, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

on the left :-)

Last edited by jon_slider; 03-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Nice Jon... Because I have an extra/spare Ti Tool, I'm going to use the stainless steel clip from that light with the Maratac AAA Cu...
    Maratac AAA Rev 3, AAA Cu Rev 4 ][ Lumintop Tool Ti, Worm SS, IYP365 ][ L3 Illumination L11C ][ Fenix E05, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    on the left :-)

So what you think about it? Is it efficient or not? List the pros and cons

Default Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

Can you post some pics of the driver and make a compression between it and tool copper?
    Last edited by Nichia!; 03-22-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    I think Jonathan told us all about it quite well. beam shot of rev 4 vs older rev presumably rev 3. 3 modes, 24 lumens, 3 lumens, 90 lumens. Or roughly equivalent to that, depending on his setup for measuring lumens. No PWM. Emitter shot. After 50 minutes, light is dimmer, battery down to 1V. Sounds like the efficient version to me. Last picture is the battery ready to go back into the charger. He was up pretty late, hopefully he sleeps in today.

Nice story, well told. Hoping mine arrives by Friday. I would be curious to know what, if any, differences there are between rev 4 and 3 (3.5?). I according to the countycomm website it is just a glow in the dark diffuser and o-ring. I have been wanting a copper light, so no significant change is no big deal to me.
    Last edited by sbslider; 03-22-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Flashaholic

The price just went up to 39.85. Just when I was going to grab another!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my sh*t for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    Kind of pricey, isn't it?
    Last edited by this_is_nascar; 03-22-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic

I was going to order a couple more as gifts but also saw the price went up so took a pass.

Default Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Kind of pricey, isn't it, considering the offerings from Lumintop, ThruNite and others?
    No place for thrunite here! it's it's about Maratac & lumintop copper and Nichia.. Please try to stick with the topic!
    Last edited by Nichia!; 03-22-2017 at 11:37 AM.

No place for thrunite here! it's it's about Maratac & lumintop copper and Nichia.. Please try to stick with the topic!
    Yea, you're right. Sorry.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

I tried to give advanced notice of this on page 3, a couple days ago... Kinda surprised it only went up to $40, as that's only $5 more than the the aluminum version (with the cool white LED...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicho View Post
    I was going to order a couple more as gifts but also saw the price went up so took a pass.
    I bet your intended recipients would really enjoy those lights, even if you had to spend an extra $20 to make it happen. : )

At least you would qualify for free shipping... So maybe you can rationalize it.

glad i pulled the trigger when I did . . .

I think we have a Winner!:-)

updated post #105 with runtime
    looks efficient and regulated, stayed above 80 lumens for 40 minutes. NoPWM, Medium 24, Low 3, High 91. Knurling is nice, not as shallow as on one of my latest CuTools, also not as smooth.. the Maratac has some sharp (unpolished) knurls when twisting one way but not the other.. something Ive experienced in other CuTools.

a little different than my worm, as the Nichia Maratac starts out above 90, and seems to taper down to 83, but does not keep dropping like my CuTool

you can see the driver pic in the above post
    more detail about efficiency and pics of other drivers here
    Efficiency comparison Lumintop Copper Tool and Copper Wor
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-22-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    looks efficient and regulated, stayed above 80 lumens for 40 minutes
    I don't think that looks regulated. If your runtime graph is accurate, that appears to be the exact behavior of how one would expect a non-regulated driver to behave running on an NiMH.

Sorry to be pendantic, but "regulated" is meant to define a very specific property in a driver, and this property is not at all being displayed by your tests.

Try the same tests with an alkaline.

Thanks for your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    I don't think that looks regulated. If your runtime graph is accurate, that appears to be the exact behavior of how one would expect a non-regulated driver to behave running on an NiMH.

Sorry to be pendantic, but "regulated" is meant to define a very specific property in a driver, and this property is not at all being displayed by your tests.

Try the same tests with an alkaline.

Thanks for your posts.
    I agree. That's​ far from a flatline.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast