Nitecore NU30 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Review product was provided by Fasttech. Here(link is external) a product page at store. NU30 costs there just 31.14$.
NU30 is a top model in NU line of headlamps. Other couple NU10 and NU20 seems to be not that useful as this one.

=================

Stated characteristics are

Features
:

• [*=1]Multi-purposes lightweight headlamp

[*=1]White and red dual outputs

[*=1]A XP-G2 S3 primary white LED capable of outputting 400 lumens

[*=1]Incorporated Precision Digital Optics technology

[*=1]Two auxiliary LEDs with high colour rendering capability: CRI ≥90 provides output at 35 lumens

[*=1]Red light illumination

[*=1]Built-in 1800mAh Li-ion battery

[*=1]USB rechargeable with onboard charging circuit

[*=1]Dual switches design offers easy one-handed operation

[*=1]Built-in power indicator

[*=1]4 brightness levels and 2 special modes available

[*=1]Flood beam profile with 60° adjustable angle

[*=1]Made from durable PC materials

[*=1]Compact and lightweight ·

[*=1]Impact resistant to 1.5 metre

Specifications:

• [*=1]Output and Runtime:

[*=1]Turbo: 400 Lumens / 1 Hour 15 Min.

[*=1]High: 180 Lumens / 22 Hours

[*=1]Medium: 36 Lumens / 25 Hours 15 Min.

[*=1]Ultra-low: 1 Lumen / 330 Hours

[*=1]Auxiliary LEDs (High CRI): 35 Lumens / 12 Hours

[*=1]Red: 19 Lumens / 13 Hours

[*=1]Battery: Built-in 1800mAh rechargeable battery

[*=1]Beam Intensity: 1600cd

[*=1]Beam Distance: 132 yards (121m)

[*=1]Waterproof: IPX7

[*=1]Impact Resistant to 1.5m

Dimensions
:

• [*=1]Size: 63× 31 × 43mm

[*=1]Weight: 89g

[*=1]Body Material: Durable poly-carbonate material
    [*=1]Contents: Nitecore NU30 headlamp, adjustable headband, USB cable

APPEARANCE

NU30 has regular nitecore package which includes flashlight itself, headstrap, manual and warranty card, USB-cable.

618eeb.jpg

0b8cf9.jpg

This flashlight is really compact and completely similar to 2xAA Fenix HL15.
caf90f.jpg

3d8107.jpg

This headlamp has a lot of different LEDs:
primary XP-G2 S3 in SMO reflector, pair of auxiliary hi-CRI LEDs and pair of red light LEDs.
fdafdb.jpg

Headstrap can be removed. This one is a not bad regular one, but the one from Fenix HL15 is better, as it has kinda of gel-strap that prevents strap from sliding down.
b44e24.jpg

db5112.jpg

You can adjust angle in range of 60 degrees, with 4 intermediate positions.
8f62f3.jpg

USB-charging port is covered with rubber plug. Waterproof is IP67, what has to be enough for most of regular sitiations.
0e6a8c.jpg

2 buttons have well-know red-green indicator feature and can also shows rest of charge.
ab8c75.jpg

Build quality is good. Unfortunately both halves of NU30 are glued, so there is no way to safely disassemble it.

UI
Quick convenient. I got used to it in minutes. The only disadvantage I see is that there is no way to change brightness without turning light off (except starting turbo)
q176ZH3f014.jpg

x6sPSiXBFG4.jpg

But, again, you get a really lot of different functions with easy acces without overloading UI.
PERFORMANCE
No PWM-shimmering in pensil\shower test

Beamshots from all LEDs
beamshots11d0a.gif

Difference between primary and auxiliary LEDs can be easily seen. Visually, side light of auxiliary LEDs is way brighter. My camera lense couldn`t catch it.
CRI20a907.gif

far-close43fc6.gif

sliceshots245bc5.gif

These pair of Hi-CRI LEDs are great for near-range work within 2m distance.
Being discharged, NU30 cuts off upper modes, so in deep discharge you can just choose between 1 and 36. And here is a great feature – you can just plug USB and use all the modes while headlamp is being charged.

I evaluate capacity likely to be stated, really about 1800, which is so cool for such size. Charging amperage from included packed is 0.9A, not bad at all. It took about 2 hours to fully charge.
c3e13f.jpg

Red light is really, really bright. Technically you can use it while walking outdoor in debris and not break legs.
I don`t know any situation when you really need central LED and red light LEDs working simultaneously, but NU30 supports this. Here are rest of modes except primary light.
modes.gif

Live example, the rest one is mixture of red and primary light.
About 5 meters
kidsrooom14187.gif

About 7 meters.
koridor8e565.gif

180 lumens are totally ok for most of cases, that`s enough for about 10-12 meters distance and provides best runtime as well.
400 lums (30 sec stepdown) at turbo give enough light to see what is going on at 30-40meters distance.

What about turbo and stepdown – here(link is external) a good review with detailed explanation of stepdow
OVERALL.
Nitecore managed to fit a lot of good features in such compact size: 1800 mah battery, red\hi-CRI\XP-G LEDs for most of situations, fully work when being charged, no PWM-shimmering.
I`m positively impressed with this headlamp and really want to compare NU30 with new Fenix HL15.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review!
Thanks for the shout-out to my review and stepdown notes, too. Your review adds more depth with real-world pictures and gifs!