Is anyone else annoyed at the proliferation of side-button flashlights?

adept1

Newly Enlightened
My wife gave me a Fenix UE40 a few years ago as a gift. It seemed like a pretty good light, but I never used it because it was so damn hard to find the button in the dark. I'm noticing that a lot of lights have the button on the side now. Really like the new Acebeam EC50 Gen2, but that side button causes me to abort the purchase.

Witterings

Enlightened
I'd imagine the manufacturers are supplying what's in greater demand and sells the most ... whilst all of my 1st torches were button at the rear ... now unless I wanted to use it for a specific purpose ie shooting or bicycle light where rear buttons work better ... if it didn't have a side button it'd stop me from buying it.

Guess it's just personal preference.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my side button lights. I have a bunch of both, but side button is my preference. Admittedly, some are better designed than others. A bit of glow-in-the-dark paint would help those with no tactile feel.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer a tail switch over a side switch. Mainly for the fact that when I pick the light up I know immediately where the switch is. I do have a Fenix LD12 2017 coming which has a tail switch for on/off and a side switch for mode changing. I'm not to concerned by its side switch as it just for mode changing. I also like a tail switch because they are not nearly as likely to get activated while in my poclet as a side switch.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I'm a side switch guy, but HATE press and hold to turn off (bite me KLARUS). My problem is that I am in love with olight and zebralight UI. I keep looking for good bargain lights that have similar operation but have not found any that were cheaper then olight group buys or clearance sales. Foxfury looks like an Olight copy and has similar UI. Any other recommendations?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old fasion rear mechanical switch wont give paracitic drain on the battery. Some say you can lock out the light and just untwist the tailcap. Yeah sure, but then you got a "twistyclicky", harder to avtivate than the twisty, and clicky :)
In small lights i dont like it. Like the olight, hard to find the button. But i think that might be a design issue.
But in long ligths, or really thick ones a sideswitch is all good. So for me it really depends on size and design if i like it or not.

pc_light

Enlightened
I can see your issue with the UE40, even though I'm a fan of side clickies that light would NOT be a well executer side-clicky.

Frankly, there are good side-buttons and there are poor side buttons, just as there are good/poor rear-clickies/twisties. That's the difference between well designed lights that take ergonomics into account and stuff that's just thrown together for effect.

Here's to good ergomonics and choice:buddies:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Ive always preferred a rear tail switch, and protested side switches. I would pass, on lights, simply because it had a side switch. Until very recent, a few of Olight brand lights have caught my attention,
such as the S mini baton and a few others. So I'm no longer opposed to trying out a side switch light, And most likely be picking one up to tryout, But deep down, I am, and will always be, a rear switch kind of guy.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I strongly preferred tail switches until I got into zebralights. They are designed such that I can find the switch very quickly even in the dark and such that when I pull it off the pocket it's clipped to my thumb is right there. But when done poorly like the fenix lights with the little rubber square then it's terrible. I hated and gave away an e25 for that reason. Plus the hold to activate and turn off really frustrated me. So it really is how it's designed for me.

Capolini

Banned
I prefer side switch as long as it is designed well..either elevated or recessed[SC62] where the switch is easy to find.:D

ohh yaaa,,,,I have a Fenix PD12vn. A side switch which was very difficult to feel and locate. I put some crazy glue on top of the switch to raise it a bit! It was meticulous work! One slip and I glue my switch shut!

I should NOT have to do that! The switch is easy to feel/find and works well now!

PD12vn.jpg

PD12_VN1.jpg

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a fan of side switches.

My preference is magnetic control rings and tail switches.

Although I'll probably make an exception for the new Acebeam X45...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my lights are Nitecore with side switches. Some are easier to find than others, but I don't have a problem with any of them except remembering which UI it is. I really like the P30 - rear switch for on/of/momentary and side switch for modes. Don't have to worry about parasitic drain, and still have the ability to change modes without moving my hand around since I use the 'civilian' grip rather than a tactical one.

BloodLust

Enlightened
Not a fan unless it's not too easily activated. I'll make an exception for large lights or for the Klarus RS20 since it has a dual side switch, different colors and shape. Plus the head is larger so it blocks some things to prevent activation. I'll most likely holster carry it anyway like my XT11.

For pocket lights, twist or clicky for me. Which is why I still use my old Fenix LD10 as my daily EDC. Easy to find tail switch. If head is tightened, it it fires up in turbo. Loosened a bit, 3 lumen low.
I keep it on turbo for emergencies. If I need some minimal lighting, it's easy to loosen.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Side switches are great for side switch lights.
Tail switches are great for tail switch lights.

Nope, not annoyed at all.

Streamlight is doing some dual switch products these days. That may catch on at some point.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither system is perfect. Tail switch: I always know where it is, but that is not where my fingertips are.

Side switch: My fingertips are close to it, but still searching for the exact spot.

SimonC

Newly Enlightened
With manufacturers competing on number modes / "features", having a side button seems to be an easier solution ... otherwise one will need to cycle through 5 brightness levels and different strobes modes with the tail button :shakehead

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would usually prefer a beefy mechanical tail switch especially if it was forward clicky because it is good for signaling, the side switch activation is a bit cumbersome as you will have to feel for it, plus it can accidentally get activated in the pants if not deep enough. Also electronic switches do fail sooner than clicky mechanical tail switches (or was i just unlucky?) I have a quark AA Tac which is a batch 1 S2 whose mechanical clicky still works to this day, my SC52 which is two years younger is already exhibiting signs of failure and i have even raised with ZL's support for RMA for it to be repaired. I commend the dual tail switch of the likes of the XT series from Klarus and like the TK35. Lastly, problem with side switches is that they are not easily accessible to clean and service on your own unlike tail switches where you just need to remove the retaining ring and you can access the mechanical switch right away. I know more and more lights these days have side mode switches even if they have a main forward clicky tail switch (PD35), it's not a show stopper for me, but if you didnt have to move your fingers away from the tail to switch to the mode you want that is what i would prefer.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm annoyed by all of the lights that require both a side And a tail switch.
I'd like to see more 2 x18650 and larger lights that have a side switch only.

Last edited: