Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which battery charger?

Default Re: Which battery charger?

Considering the charger that you have been using, I would recommend the Gyrfalcon AII-44 (4 bay) or AII-88 (8 bay) charger. They are both very simple to use. They have charge currents of .1, .25, .5 and 1.0 Amps, continuously display cell voltage for each bay, and charge all chemistries. The default setting is 1.0 Amp for Lithium cells and .5 Amp for NiMH, but you change the current for any bay at any time.

I have other chargers and I like them, but I think you would be very happy with the Gyrfalcon.
    SD26vn, T6vn, U21vn#2, TN30vn35#2, K40Lvn, K40Mvn, U21vn#1, MK35vn, TN30vn50, X7vn, X45vn, EC50vn, EC60vn, D25Cvn, ToolvnCu, EC60vn, SC63w, T21vn, U11vn, TX25Cvn, S200C2vn & C22Cvn. Charger: SkyRC, MiBoxer C2-3000

The quality of charge varies significantly that's a key point not all chargers do well with Ni-MH the new I4 and I2 fall down here. Yes fast charging is nice but you'll pay for it for 1.0 amp on all 4 channels. I have so many cells I really can't say I need fast charging on all channels but hey if you do then fire away

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    ^^^^^

iirc neither of the above can charge ALL 4 slots @ 1A. For me that is a must. MOST of my batteries are 18650 and I have several 3 X 18650/4 X 18650 lights.

My Fenix ARE-C2 is one of the few chargers that comes OFF the charger @ 4.20V. Also the fastest!

My Opus/Efest and KP models come off @ 4.16 at best,,then of course they settle several hundredths of a volt!

1.Fenix ARE-C2
    2.OPUS BT-C3100
    3.K'Power L2
    4.Efest LUC V4

We all have different criteria and preferences!

You should test the voltage straight after termination if it's coming in 4.14/4.15v for new condition cells it's not fully charging them. I use an accurate volt meter for this. A lot of chargers don't fully charge cells not a major problem if it's a little under some prefer that. Good charging should be in the 4.17-4.20 volts if it's less it indicates an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Baz View Post
    You should test the voltage straight after termination if it's coming in 4.14/4.15v for new condition cells it's not fully charging them. I use an accurate volt meter for this. A lot of chargers don't fully charge cells not a major problem if it's a little under some prefer that. Good charging should be in the 4.17-4.20 volts if it's less it indicates an issue
    That is what I do.I was clear about that several times on this thread!

The "That" is measuring w/ DMM immediately off the charger. I also mentioned that ALL 4 slots read 4.20 on my Opus 2.2v. When measured they are 4.15v on my DMM which means the voltage meter on the charger is 0.05v too hi!

a comment from HKJ on one of my threads:

Look for chargers that do not terminate the charge or charge to 4.25 volt, they are basically the only ones giving full 4.20 volt.

All chargers following the LiIon charge guidelines will give a lower voltage.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My Fenix ARE-C2 must have an accurate voltage meter inside because they most come off @ 4.20v,,,some at 4.21v.

HKJ makes a good point because ALL my newer chargers measure b/w 4.14 and 4.17V,,,,,,,,,,,,,hot off the charger!
    Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. ,,,Capolini 10.21.2003

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Baz View Post
    The quality of charge varies significantly that's a key point not all chargers do well with Ni-MH the new I4 and I2 fall down here. Yes fast charging is nice but you'll pay for it for 1.0 amp on all 4 channels. I have so many cells I really can't say I need fast charging on all channels but hey if you do then fire away

Not clear on what you mean by,"I will pay for it for 1.0A on all 4 channels??

Pay for what? My Fenix and other chargers will charge 4 X 18650 in ~ 2.5 hours when going in @ 3.60v.

Fenix is the fastest whether there is 1 cell in the charger or 4,,makes no difference in completion time..The channels are Independent on ALL these quality chargers.

Higher output chargers are more expensive that's what "pay for it" means ie cost more. Fair enough if you use lots of cells and need faster charging it's not a priority for all though. I always test using a voltmeter not the charger display I have seen variations in the same models different chargers etc. Yes some over read the voltage the D4 I have is almost bang on most times the display is accurate or close. I'd be a bit disappointed a charger like the Opus 2.2v if it didn't display more accurate voltages it's not a cheap charger and should be charging to more than 4.15 straight off the charger.

^^^

hmmm,,,,,,I did not think you were talking from a monetary standpoint! lol!

I have Three[3] Fenix ARE-C2 and it is the most consistent of all my chargers that I have multiples of. They basically give the exact same charge on all 3.Come out at 4.20/21v. The older batteries will still come out @ 4.20v,,,then they will drop more than the newer ones which is to be expected.

Two are 3 years old and the One I just got[last one in stock since the "Plus" version came out in which I returned because it ONLY charged @ 1A!] a few weeks ago.

My Efest/KP and Opus ALL read high. My KP L2 is very consistent. I like it, It always reads 0.07v high going in. They come out @ 4.16v And some at 4.17. So it is only 0.03/0.04v low when coming out to meet Mr. DMM!

I guess what I am getting at is that I agree that the same model can vary. That is why I am getting another Opus 2.2v in a trade in!

FWIW, I have been using NiMH batteries for photography for many years. I used to use the NiCads as well back in the day. One machine that I have found to do a very good job is from a company called MaHa. they make a AA/AAA charger for 1-8 pieces, and can do a fast, regular, deep or condition charge. The new electronics seem to be spot on. I have been using the black label Eneloop for my high powered flash heads, and I have never been disappointed. Quick charge in under 2 hours, recondition takes overnight (6-8 hours). It packs small, is very lightweight, and international with an adapter (no transformer needed).

MAHA MH-C800S AA - AAA 8 CELL BATTERY CHARGER

They also make a larger unit that will take C and D cells.

Cheers,

HwyChef

Quote Originally Posted by HwyChef View Post
    FWIW, I have been using NiMH batteries for photography for many years. I used to use the NiCads as well back in the day. One machine that I have found to do a very good job is from a company called MaHa. they make a AA/AAA charger for 1-8 pieces, and can do a fast, regular, deep or condition charge. The new electronics seem to be spot on. I have been using the black label Eneloop for my high powered flash heads, and I have never been disappointed. Quick charge in under 2 hours, recondition takes overnight (6-8 hours). It packs small, is very lightweight, and international with an adapter (no transformer needed).

MAHA MH-C800S AA - AAA 8 CELL BATTERY CHARGER

They also make a larger unit that will take C and D cells.

Cheers,

HwyChef
    The problem with Eneloop Pro is there only good for around 500 cycles, and if you run them empty all the time you will only get between 200-300 cycles before they die.

John.
    SkyRC MC3000 - 2xMaha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

@hwychef

I am the opposite as far as battery types! I have a Four AAA enloops for my Olight i3S-CU.I charge my Enloops in a few different all purpose chargers. They have worked well for over 3 years!

The rest of my batteries are all L.Ion!

Welcome HwyChef. Enjoy your journey here!!

thanks for all the help everyone. ended up getting a bt-c3100 v2.2, mainly because i found one very reasonably priced (£25) here in the UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12