Locating a bad cell in a series battery pack of NiMh cells

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Is there any way to test individual cells in a series pack of NiMh, 1.2v batteries?
They all equalize voltage after and during charging but at least one is bad because the overall voltage of the pack always falls back too low after charging and setting for an hour or two.
I can't find the bad one(s).

Does it require taking the entire battery pack apart?

Trango

Newly Enlightened
Don't know what kind of battery pack it is, but usually yes, you have to take it apart (or unwrap it) and measure each cell separately. To cheer you up a little, there is no need to unsolder the cells (well you have to change the bad cell), just get to them to use a DMM.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if those are 4\5 sub c cells, do not even bother, had several tools with those cells not one battery lived long, i tried replacing cells, but new ones did not live long either. no one makes good cells of that size. they fail even faster in power drills, when motor stalls, it is basically short circuit, current goes up to 30+ amps, cheap cells can not take much of that load, they die pretty fast.

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
if those are 4\5 sub c cells, do not even bother, had several tools with those cells not one battery lived long, i tried replacing cells, but new ones did not live long either. no one makes good cells of that size. they fail even faster in power drills, when motor stalls, it is basically short circuit, current goes up to 30+ amps, cheap cells can not take much of that load, they die pretty fast.

They're not 4/5. These are regular Sub C

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
than you are ok, where do you live? i have 2 good sub c nimh cells i have no use for, would give them away, if you are in the area, i'm in nyc brooklyn.