Klarus        
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* HighlanderNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Posts
    1,509

    Question Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    The other night the weather experts were calling for Snow-pocalypse in our area, and to be prepared I began re-charging many 18650s that I had discharged to under 3.9v to store.

    After I was done with that, I started topping off the many Eneloops I had in 2 larger lights. I only had 2 decent chargers and 14 batteries to charge, but then I found a Duracell charger that my mom must've given to me. So I tossed 4 Eneloops onto it. Later, the Xtar charger had finished charging its batteries, so I removed the 4 AA from the Duracell charger, which were still charging, and put them into the new Xtar charger. I was surprised to read that they were being measured at 1.51v on the Xtar, and I assumed it was wrong.

    I removed all 4 and tested them on my DMM that I had been using throughout the recharge process, but it also read 1.51v on all 4 batteries. After about 20mins or so, they dropped to 1.46v, which made me feel better.

    I've charged many Eneloops on my old I4 charger, but they usually come off of it at approx 1.44v as I recall. Another issue is that the Duracell charger appeared to still be charging them when I removed them at 1.51v. Now, maybe it was just seconds away from terminating their charge cycle, but who knows(?). Is it a problem?
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    4,740

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Chargers differ in their termination points, so 1.51v isn't bad, or unheard of.

    My LaCrosse BC-700 terminates at 1.51v, IIRC, but my Maha C9000 stops full charge at 1.47, but needs another 2 hours at 100mA to get the cells full, IIRC again.

    I have the little Sanyo USB 'Eneloop' charger and it's somewhat scattered.

    I wouldn't worry about it, as the voltages will settle down around the 1.4x volt range after a day and furthermore after a longer period.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,351

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    1.51v is fine, I have seen 1.55v and no problems, one thing to check, The battery`s should never be to hot to hold(they will be their hottest just before they show as full), If they are to hot the battery`s are being damaged.

    Old battery`s that have developed a high resistance can get hot, If to hot to hold then it`s time to recycle them, If new battery`s get to hot to hold on a regular basis you could have a problem with your charger, maybe a too high charge rate or missing the battery full/termination point.

    John.
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    my ikea ladda charger stops at 1.51 as well...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Even at 1.6V is still within range, although it's the max (according to my iCharger)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    guys, I don't think it is the charger that determines where the charge teminates, but the dv/dt, the cells suddently heating up when they are at charged capacity. IME, spanking new fresh out of the package AA Eneloops will charge to around 1.44V, but as they get used, they get better, and begin to terminate charging around 1.51V, and as they get worn in will start terminating around 1.54V, and I have seen them terminate as high as 1.57V.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* HighlanderNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid Atlantic USA
    Posts
    1,509

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    1.51v is fine, I have seen 1.55v and no problems, one thing to check, The battery`s should never be to hot to hold(they will be their hottest just before they show as full), If they are to hot the battery`s are being damaged.

    Old battery`s that have developed a high resistance can get hot, If to hot to hold then it`s time to recycle them, If new battery`s get to hot to hold on a regular basis you could have a problem with your charger, maybe a too high charge rate or missing the battery full/termination point.

    John.
    None of the 14 Eneloops and Eneloop XX's that I charged were any more than warm when they came off the chargers. They were fairly warm, but certainly not uncomfortably hot to hold, nor were they remotely close to it.
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

  8. #8
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    8,779

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    None of the 14 Eneloops and Eneloop XX's that I charged were any more than warm when they came off the chargers. They were fairly warm, but certainly not uncomfortably hot to hold, nor were they remotely close to it.

    When a NiMH charger terminated on -dv/dt the batteries will get warm at the end, in my reviews I avoid IR photos of that phase. Usual that phase takes between 10 minutes and half an hour (A few chargers are considerable slower).
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Duracell made a lot of chargers, you could have a dumb timer based charger instead of a smart charger.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    @chillinn

    i always thought it was the charger thing to cut off at certain voltage?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cekid View Post
    @chillinn

    i always thought it was the charger thing to cut off at certain voltage?
    hmm... that is not my understanding. My understanding of charge termination, however, is not deep, and all I know I learned from HKJ's posts, who is the master, and he has already posted in this thread. By the power of Greyskull, HKJ, I summon you to help us all better understand how most chargers, dumb and smart, accomplish NiMH charge termination. And I thank you HKJ, for the generosity of your wisdom.

  12. #12
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    8,779

    Default Re: Is it a problem that my Duracell charger charged 4 Eneloops to 1.51v?

    Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    hmm... that is not my understanding. My understanding of charge termination, however, is not deep, and all I know I learned from HKJ's posts, who is the master, and he has already posted in this thread. By the power of Greyskull, HKJ, I summon you to help us all better understand how most chargers, dumb and smart, accomplish NiMH charge termination. And I thank you HKJ, for the generosity of your wisdom.

    I have written about it before: http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryChargingNiMH%20UK.html
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •