SkyRC MC3000

Snotgople

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about buying the SkyRC charger, because I like the feature that it charges at C/2, but is it safe to do so?

For example my Keeppower 18650's are 3.500 mAh, that means the charger will charge them at 1.750 mAh, but as far as I know the standard charge current (whatever that does mean?) is 1.000 mAh.

It's nearly the double amount, and I don't want to risk damaging the batteries. At the same time it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries in around 2 hours or so...

Kind of newbie on this issue, can some clarify this for me - thanks in advance!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about buying the SkyRC charger, because I like the feature that it charges at C/2, but is it safe to do so?

For example my Keeppower 18650's are 3.500 mAh, that means the charger will charge them at 1.750 mAh, but as far as I know the standard charge current (whatever that does mean?) is 1.000 mAh.

It's nearly the double amount, and I don't want to risk damaging the batteries. At the same time it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries in around 2 hours or so...

The standard charging current varies by manufacturer and model. They're not all the same and the data sheets will tell us what Sony, et al., thinks is the best.

That being said, for the bigger 26650s, 2A is easy and for the 18650s, 1A-1.5A is generally the sweet spot, but it's not 'one size fits all'.

HKJ lists the charging current (standard) for the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA 18650 as being 1.675A, so just a hair under .5C, or just over it depending on how you want to initially label the 3500mAh GA. Say you deplete down to 33%, that leaves about an hour and a half to charge them back up at 1.5A, plus/minus a bit.

For the protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells, which I assume are S-P 3500s inside, HKJ mentions a standard charge current of 1A, so I don't know why there's a difference. It could be the PCB protection circuit not accepting a higher current input.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh (Red) UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Keeppower 18650 3500mAh (Black) 2015 UK.html

Chris

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
With Keeppower I list the specification Keeppower supplies.
Usual I list the suppliers (i.e. whoever sent me the cell) specification, if I have a real data sheet for the cell I will usual use that.

Today most 18650 can be charged at 1.5A, but the charger manufacturers have not figured that out yet.

Snotgople

Newly Enlightened
With Keeppower I list the specification Keeppower supplies.
Usual I list the suppliers (i.e. whoever sent me the cell) specification, if I have a real data sheet for the cell I will usual use that.

Today most 18650 can be charged at 1.5A, but the charger manufacturers have not figured that out yet.

I have just purchased some Keeppowers at 3.500 mAh, so i guess it would not be good to charge them at 1.750 mAh / 0,5C or what is your opinion about that? That makes me wonder why SkyRC makes a charger that per standard charges at 0,5C, if it isn´t good for the batteries. Batteries get bigger and bigger in capacity, so the problem will only grow, so to speak - or am I completely misunderstanding something here?

But if 1,5A is safe, as far as I know by reading reviews, it is possible to adjust the charging current on the charger, so that´s a way to solve it.

Can't decide if I should buy the SkyRC or the more plug-and-play-style Accupower 328+. Maybe the SkyRC is overkill, but I like the quality of their products, and I´m really satisfied with the D100 hobby charger I have.

By the way, thanks for a great site HKJ - it makes someone proud to be a Dane... ;-)

Snotgople

Newly Enlightened
The standard charging current varies by manufacturer and model. They're not all the same and the data sheets will tell us what Sony, et al., thinks is the best.

That being said, for the bigger 26650s, 2A is easy and for the 18650s, 1A-1.5A is generally the sweet spot, but it's not 'one size fits all'.

HKJ lists the charging current (standard) for the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA 18650 as being 1.675A, so just a hair under .5C, or just over it depending on how you want to initially label the 3500mAh GA. Say you deplete down to 33%, that leaves about an hour and a half to charge them back up at 1.5A, plus/minus a bit.

For the protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells, which I assume are S-P 3500s inside, HKJ mentions a standard charge current of 1A, so I don't know why there's a difference. It could be the PCB protection circuit not accepting a higher current input.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh (Red) UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Keeppower 18650 3500mAh (Black) 2015 UK.html

Chris

If it´s the PCB kicking in, then maybe it isn´t possible to use the chargers setting (0.5/C)and that´s one of the main reason Im interested in the SkyRC. It would be really nice to cut down on charging-time, but if the batteries (the PCB) can´t handle it, it´s not really a benefit at all.

I´m only using protected batteries and don´t have plans on changing that.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it´s the PCB kicking in, then maybe it isn´t possible to use the chargers setting (0.5/C)and that´s one of the main reason Im interested in the SkyRC. It would be really nice to cut down on charging-time, but if the batteries (the PCB) can´t handle it, it´s not really a benefit at all.

I´m only using protected batteries and don´t have plans on changing that.

I think Henrik answered the question. He listed 1A in his test because that's what Keeppower put down in their spec sheet, or somebody did.

I doubt that there would be much of a difference, regarding the PCB, going from 1A to 1.5A, or 2.0A.

I think that the worse part about 1A, 1.5A, or 2A-3A charging is in shortening, or shaving some cycles off the life of the cell, but who's keeping track of this stuff except for Capolini?

Not me.

Chris

Capolini

Banned

Check out this thread. It will give you all the info. you need!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...kyRC-%97-IFA-2014-%97-MC3000-charger-analyzer

Snotgople

Newly Enlightened

That's good info, thanks. With that in mind it's +1 for the SkyRC - it would be nice to cut down on charging time. How much do you think it will affect battery life, charging with 1,5 A instead of 1 A, which seems to be the standard max. charge on most (more ordinary) chargers??

Last edited:

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
I am leaning towards getting the MC3000 over the Opus today. The Opus is a very good charger, but the SkyRC offers so much more in terms of tailoring operations to exactly what I want to do.

Snotgople

Newly Enlightened
I ended up buying the SkyRC. Got it yesterday, and looking forward digging into all it's possibilities...

MarioJP

Enlightened
I am thinking of just getting the opus because of the price, but i do miss the flexibility of the mc3, especially with it's updatable firmware. Could just wait longer for future hardware revisions.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
The useful feature of this charger for me asides from all the fancy analyzing sh*t it does is the fact that it can charge cells to the ideal storage voltage. I hate having to charge my cells up to full capacity 4.2 volts then have to find a means of draining them down to the 3.6 to 3.8 volt range before storage. I know there are LiP04 chargers which can charge to 3.6volts but these can be tedious charging about three dozen cells. I found the best price for these at Gearbest at 89 bucks, does anybody know where it can be purchased lower?

Thanks.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
The useful feature of this charger for me asides from all the fancy analyzing sh*t it does is the fact that it can charge cells to the ideal storage voltage. I hate having to charge my cells up to full capacity 4.2 volts then have to find a means of draining them down to the 3.6 to 3.8 volt range before storage. I know there are LiP04 chargers which can charge to 3.6volts but these can be tedious charging about three dozen cells. I found the best price for these at Gearbest at 89 bucks, does anybody know where it can be purchased lower?

Thanks.

I ordered one from Gearbest as part of their anniversary sale a week ago for $79 and it came yesterday. I am just reading the instructions now. Lots of capability and a little complicated, but I'll figure it out. The writer of the manual actually has a sense of humor. I found my self laughing a few times! unusual for reading an instruction manual.

Torchmee

Newly Enlightened
I own both and the Opus isn't even in the same league as the MC3000. If you don't have the cash the Opus is fine but if you want the best pay up and get the SkyRC, it will more than likely be the last charger you ever buy.

If you want the MC3000 for $80 email Robert stating that and give him your zip code. He will add on the actual USPS shipping to you and then send you a paypal invoice. He will ship it out the next day. This price is not available on his website or Amazon store or is it advertised. It is a special created for forum members. The chargers are the latest production with all the improvements.

Robert Negely
[email protected]
916-405-0183

Now you may be able to save a couple bucks ordering from one of the China Ebays but Robert ships out the next day so you get the item in 1 to 5 days depending on which coast your on instead 3 or 4 weeks, the mfg warranty is thru him here in the good old USA and you can reach him any time on the phone for questions or problems. It's a no brainer for me due to the warranty. If you buy from China and anything happens you have to send the unit back to China and the shipping is typically more than the item plus you may get it back in 6 months!