Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: SkyRC MC3000

Default SkyRC MC3000

I've been thinking about buying the SkyRC charger, because I like the feature that it charges at C/2, but is it safe to do so?

For example my Keeppower 18650's are 3.500 mAh, that means the charger will charge them at 1.750 mAh, but as far as I know the standard charge current (whatever that does mean?) is 1.000 mAh.

It's nearly the double amount, and I don't want to risk damaging the batteries. At the same time it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries in around 2 hours or so...

Kind of newbie on this issue, can some clarify this for me - thanks in advance!

Default Re: SkyRC MC3000

Quote Originally Posted by Snotgople View Post
    I've been thinking about buying the SkyRC charger, because I like the feature that it charges at C/2, but is it safe to do so?

For example my Keeppower 18650's are 3.500 mAh, that means the charger will charge them at 1.750 mAh, but as far as I know the standard charge current (whatever that does mean?) is 1.000 mAh.

It's nearly the double amount, and I don't want to risk damaging the batteries. At the same time it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries in around 2 hours or so...

The standard charging current varies by manufacturer and model. They're not all the same and the data sheets will tell us what Sony, et al., thinks is the best.

That being said, for the bigger 26650s, 2A is easy and for the 18650s, 1A-1.5A is generally the sweet spot, but it's not 'one size fits all'.

HKJ lists the charging current (standard) for the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA 18650 as being 1.675A, so just a hair under .5C, or just over it depending on how you want to initially label the 3500mAh GA. Say you deplete down to 33%, that leaves about an hour and a half to charge them back up at 1.5A, plus/minus a bit.

For the protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells, which I assume are S-P 3500s inside, HKJ mentions a standard charge current of 1A, so I don't know why there's a difference. It could be the PCB protection circuit not accepting a higher current input.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...Red)%20UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...2015%20UK.html

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGarrett; 03-17-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

With Keeppower I list the specification Keeppower supplies.
    Usual I list the suppliers (i.e. whoever sent me the cell) specification, if I have a real data sheet for the cell I will usual use that.

Today most 18650 can be charged at 1.5A, but the charger manufacturers have not figured that out yet.
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    With Keeppower I list the specification Keeppower supplies.
    Usual I list the suppliers (i.e. whoever sent me the cell) specification, if I have a real data sheet for the cell I will usual use that.

Today most 18650 can be charged at 1.5A, but the charger manufacturers have not figured that out yet.
    I have just purchased some Keeppowers at 3.500 mAh, so i guess it would not be good to charge them at 1.750 mAh / 0,5C or what is your opinion about that? That makes me wonder why SkyRC makes a charger that per standard charges at 0,5C, if it isnīt good for the batteries. Batteries get bigger and bigger in capacity, so the problem will only grow, so to speak - or am I completely misunderstanding something here?

But if 1,5A is safe, as far as I know by reading reviews, it is possible to adjust the charging current on the charger, so thatīs a way to solve it.

Can't decide if I should buy the SkyRC or the more plug-and-play-style Accupower 328+. Maybe the SkyRC is overkill, but I like the quality of their products, and Iīm really satisfied with the D100 hobby charger I have.

By the way, thanks for a great site HKJ - it makes someone proud to be a Dane... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    The standard charging current varies by manufacturer and model. They're not all the same and the data sheets will tell us what Sony, et al., thinks is the best.

That being said, for the bigger 26650s, 2A is easy and for the 18650s, 1A-1.5A is generally the sweet spot, but it's not 'one size fits all'.

HKJ lists the charging current (standard) for the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA 18650 as being 1.675A, so just a hair under .5C, or just over it depending on how you want to initially label the 3500mAh GA. Say you deplete down to 33%, that leaves about an hour and a half to charge them back up at 1.5A, plus/minus a bit.

For the protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells, which I assume are S-P 3500s inside, HKJ mentions a standard charge current of 1A, so I don't know why there's a difference. It could be the PCB protection circuit not accepting a higher current input.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...Red)%20UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...2015%20UK.html

Chris
    If itīs the PCB kicking in, then maybe it isnīt possible to use the chargers setting (0.5/C)and thatīs one of the main reason Im interested in the SkyRC. It would be really nice to cut down on charging-time, but if the batteries (the PCB) canīt handle it, itīs not really a benefit at all.

Iīm only using protected batteries and donīt have plans on changing that.

If itīs the PCB kicking in, then maybe it isnīt possible to use the chargers setting (0.5/C)and thatīs one of the main reason Im interested in the SkyRC. It would be really nice to cut down on charging-time, but if the batteries (the PCB) canīt handle it, itīs not really a benefit at all.

Iīm only using protected batteries and donīt have plans on changing that.
    I think Henrik answered the question. He listed 1A in his test because that's what Keeppower put down in their spec sheet, or somebody did.

I doubt that there would be much of a difference, regarding the PCB, going from 1A to 1.5A, or 2.0A.

I think that the worse part about 1A, 1.5A, or 2A-3A charging is in shortening, or shaving some cycles off the life of the cell, but who's keeping track of this stuff except for Capolini?

Not me.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

^^^^

Pipe down!!!!

Capolini is efficient!
    A resentment is a cancer that eats us away from the inside and is portrayed by our attitude from the outside. Capolini-6.4.2003
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Check out this thread. It will give you all the info. you need!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...arger-analyzer
    A resentment is a cancer that eats us away from the inside and is portrayed by our attitude from the outside. Capolini-6.4.2003
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

That's good info, thanks. With that in mind it's +1 for the SkyRC - it would be nice to cut down on charging time. How much do you think it will affect battery life, charging with 1,5 A instead of 1 A, which seems to be the standard max. charge on most (more ordinary) chargers??
    Last edited by Snotgople; 03-20-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    Check out this thread. It will give you all the info. you need!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...arger-analyzer
    Damn, that's a huge thread!!! Thanks for the link.

Flashaholic*

I am leaning towards getting the MC3000 over the Opus today. The Opus is a very good charger, but the SkyRC offers so much more in terms of tailoring operations to exactly what I want to do.
    SD26vn, T6vn, U21vn#2, TN30vn35#2, K40Lvn, K40Mvn, U21vn#1, MK35vn, TN30vn50, X7vn, X45vn, EC50vn, EC60vn, D25Cvn, ToolvnCu, EC60vn, SC63w, T21vn, U11vn, TX25Cvn, S200C2vn & C22Cvn. Charger: SkyRC, MiBoxer C2-3000

I ended up buying the SkyRC. Got it yesterday, and looking forward digging into all it's possibilities...

Flashaholic*

I ended up buying the SkyRC. Got it yesterday, and looking forward digging into all it's possibilities...
    My thoughts exactly.
    SD26vn, T6vn, U21vn#2, TN30vn35#2, K40Lvn, K40Mvn, U21vn#1, MK35vn, TN30vn50, X7vn, X45vn, EC50vn, EC60vn, D25Cvn, ToolvnCu, EC60vn, SC63w, T21vn, U11vn, TX25Cvn, S200C2vn & C22Cvn. Charger: SkyRC, MiBoxer C2-3000

I am thinking of just getting the opus because of the price, but i do miss the flexibility of the mc3, especially with it's updatable firmware. Could just wait longer for future hardware revisions.

The useful feature of this charger for me asides from all the fancy analyzing sh*t it does is the fact that it can charge cells to the ideal storage voltage. I hate having to charge my cells up to full capacity 4.2 volts then have to find a means of draining them down to the 3.6 to 3.8 volt range before storage. I know there are LiP04 chargers which can charge to 3.6volts but these can be tedious charging about three dozen cells. I found the best price for these at Gearbest at 89 bucks, does anybody know where it can be purchased lower?

Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    The useful feature of this charger for me asides from all the fancy analyzing sh*t it does is the fact that it can charge cells to the ideal storage voltage. I hate having to charge my cells up to full capacity 4.2 volts then have to find a means of draining them down to the 3.6 to 3.8 volt range before storage. I know there are LiP04 chargers which can charge to 3.6volts but these can be tedious charging about three dozen cells. I found the best price for these at Gearbest at 89 bucks, does anybody know where it can be purchased lower?

Thanks.
    I ordered one from Gearbest as part of their anniversary sale a week ago for $79 and it came yesterday. I am just reading the instructions now. Lots of capability and a little complicated, but I'll figure it out. The writer of the manual actually has a sense of humor. I found my self laughing a few times! unusual for reading an instruction manual.

Man it is 140 off Amazon :/

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    Man it is 140 off Amazon :/
    You can buy a far more capable hobby charger and power supply for that kind of money.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

I guess. The choice is now clear. Opus it is.

Enlightened

I own both and the Opus isn't even in the same league as the MC3000. If you don't have the cash the Opus is fine but if you want the best pay up and get the SkyRC, it will more than likely be the last charger you ever buy.

If you want the MC3000 for $80 email Robert stating that and give him your zip code. He will add on the actual USPS shipping to you and then send you a paypal invoice. He will ship it out the next day. This price is not available on his website or Amazon store or is it advertised. It is a special created for forum members. The chargers are the latest production with all the improvements.

Robert Negely
    sales@danaco.net
    916-405-0183

Now you may be able to save a couple bucks ordering from one of the China Ebays but Robert ships out the next day so you get the item in 1 to 5 days depending on which coast your on instead 3 or 4 weeks, the mfg warranty is thru him here in the good old USA and you can reach him any time on the phone for questions or problems. It's a no brainer for me due to the warranty. If you buy from China and anything happens you have to send the unit back to China and the shipping is typically more than the item plus you may get it back in 6 months!
    SkyRC MC3000, Opus BT-C3400 3.1, La Crosse BC 9009, Saitek SmartCharger. Utorch UT01, UT02. Convoy C8, M2, S2+, 502b. Triton M30. Hugsby XP1 and XP2.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    You can buy a far more capable hobby charger and power supply for that kind of money.
    Apples vs oranges. Hobby chargers have one charge channel that supports packs (many cells in series), but the MC3000 has 4 independent charge channels that handle only single cells. They intersect on single cells, where they have comparable functionality, though hobby chargers usually support much higher power (since that is needed for larger packs).

Actually, hobby chargers have from 1 to 4 independent channels so can charge the same quantity of 4 cells independently at the same time. Some of the 4-channel units sell for $50 on up and are as flexible in charge/discharge parameters as the MC3000.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Actually, hobby chargers have from 1 to 4 independent channels so can charge the same quantity of 4 cells independently at the same time. Some of the 4-channel units sell for $50 on up and are as flexible in charge/discharge parameters as the MC3000.
    But they take up more space and are not as easy to use when working with round cells.

Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Flashaholic*

99% of hobby chargers are single channel. The few hybrids I've seen that support 4 channels do not have the same range of features as does the MC3000, since they seem to be 4 lower-end units kludged into one case, so they lack advanced features such as wide range of (dis)charge termination, good logging software, smooth integration of channels, etc.

What 4 channel hobby chargers did you have in mind that compete with the MC3000?
    Last edited by Gauss163; 04-04-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchmee View Post
    I own both and the Opus isn't even in the same league as the MC3000. If you don't have the cash the Opus is fine but if you want the best pay up and get the SkyRC, it will more than likely be the last charger you ever buy.

If you want the MC3000 for $80 email Robert stating that and give him your zip code. He will add on the actual USPS shipping to you and then send you a paypal invoice. He will ship it out the next day. This price is not available on his website or Amazon store or is it advertised. It is a special created for forum members. The chargers are the latest production with all the improvements.

Robert Negely
    sales@danaco.net
    916-405-0183

Now you may be able to save a couple bucks ordering from one of the China Ebays but Robert ships out the next day so you get the item in 1 to 5 days depending on which coast your on instead 3 or 4 weeks, the mfg warranty is thru him here in the good old USA and you can reach him any time on the phone for questions or problems. It's a no brainer for me due to the warranty. If you buy from China and anything happens you have to send the unit back to China and the shipping is typically more than the item plus you may get it back in 6 months!
    Thanks for this! I wrote to Robert soon as i read this! Thanks Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss163 View Post
    99% of hobby chargers are single channel. The few hybrids I've seen that support 4 channels do not have the same range of features as does the MC3000, since they seem to be 4 lower-end units kludged into one case, so they lack advanced features such as wide range of (dis)charge termination, quality logging, software, smooth integration of channels, etc.

What 4 channel hobby chargers did you have in mind that compete with the MC3000?
    I've been searching and searching around, the closest i have ever seen are the Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon and the Opus 3100 V2.2 / Opus 3400 and the upcoming Nitecore SC4. Liito-Kala 500 is also close, but none can surpass this at this point.

But they take up more space and are not as easy to use when working with round cells.

Good point HKJ! Imagine so much space needed compared to something small like the Opus or the MC3000. But between the two, which is your pick? I've seen your reviews, both are not perfect and have flaws but if you had a choice between the two, which would you get and why?

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    Good point HKJ! Imagine so much space needed compared to something small like the Opus or the MC3000. But between the two, which is your pick? I've seen your reviews, both are not perfect and have flaws but if you had a choice between the two, which would you get and why?
    When I got the MC3000 I put the hobby charger away. As long as I uses round cells the MC3000 is much more convenient and can do everything I need (and that does not even include logging on a computer).
    Some of my points are:
    • MC3000 can fit any size round cell, that is not easy with a hobby charger
    • MC3000 has programs with all parameters, this makes it easy to switch between battery types.
    • MC3000 is much more compact (I have 3 standing in line).
    • MC3000 is fairly precise (I did calibrate it).

The only issues I have with the MC3000 is flat top cells must be mounted a bit high and that the sliders are made of a soft metal (I have to bend the slider back into vertical position once in a while).

The only issues I have with the MC3000 is flat top cells must be mounted a bit high and that the sliders are made of a soft metal (I have to bend the slider back into vertical position once in a while).
    Valid points. They've been experimenting with different slider materials (and finishes) from the same supplier. Maybe they should simply change the supplier

My very early prototypes had perfectly protruding positive terminals like the DRAGON VP4 PLUS which does not have contacting issues with Samsung/Panasonic unprotected batteries mounted low in de slot. Seems to be a tolerance thingy, so i am gonna report and hope for the best thanks!

btw to whom it may concern, there are ni preparations ni plans, ni fu ni fa, to develop a bigger/better model (mc3k II or mc3k1 or similar, which would also cost more!). they don't see any handlungsbedarf wiv dis niche charger project, maybe in distant future they gradually will. sure enough everybody involved has been learning a lot experience and they'd know where/how to improve then.

personally, i swallow imperfections/shortcomings and am just thankful for how far we've come with cpf community feedback and what we've got, that thing even got a pong screensaver because it was requested! and for me the home story continues, now with the expansion through raspi or lattepanda running dex.

so fun and