ArmyTek

Thread: SkyRC MC3000

Default SkyRC MC3000

I've been thinking about buying the SkyRC charger, because I like the feature that it charges at C/2, but is it safe to do so?

For example my Keeppower 18650's are 3.500 mAh, that means the charger will charge them at 1.750 mAh, but as far as I know the standard charge current (whatever that does mean?) is 1.000 mAh.

It's nearly the double amount, and I don't want to risk damaging the batteries. At the same time it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries in around 2 hours or so...

Kind of newbie on this issue, can some clarify this for me - thanks in advance!

Default Re: SkyRC MC3000

Quote Originally Posted by Snotgople View Post
    I've been thinking about buying the SkyRC charger, because I like the feature that it charges at C/2, but is it safe to do so?

For example my Keeppower 18650's are 3.500 mAh, that means the charger will charge them at 1.750 mAh, but as far as I know the standard charge current (whatever that does mean?) is 1.000 mAh.

It's nearly the double amount, and I don't want to risk damaging the batteries. At the same time it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries in around 2 hours or so...

The standard charging current varies by manufacturer and model. They're not all the same and the data sheets will tell us what Sony, et al., thinks is the best.

That being said, for the bigger 26650s, 2A is easy and for the 18650s, 1A-1.5A is generally the sweet spot, but it's not 'one size fits all'.

HKJ lists the charging current (standard) for the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA 18650 as being 1.675A, so just a hair under .5C, or just over it depending on how you want to initially label the 3500mAh GA. Say you deplete down to 33%, that leaves about an hour and a half to charge them back up at 1.5A, plus/minus a bit.

For the protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells, which I assume are S-P 3500s inside, HKJ mentions a standard charge current of 1A, so I don't know why there's a difference. It could be the PCB protection circuit not accepting a higher current input.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...Red)%20UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...2015%20UK.html

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGarrett; 03-17-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

With Keeppower I list the specification Keeppower supplies.
    Usual I list the suppliers (i.e. whoever sent me the cell) specification, if I have a real data sheet for the cell I will usual use that.

Today most 18650 can be charged at 1.5A, but the charger manufacturers have not figured that out yet.
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    With Keeppower I list the specification Keeppower supplies.
    Usual I list the suppliers (i.e. whoever sent me the cell) specification, if I have a real data sheet for the cell I will usual use that.

Today most 18650 can be charged at 1.5A, but the charger manufacturers have not figured that out yet.
    I have just purchased some Keeppowers at 3.500 mAh, so i guess it would not be good to charge them at 1.750 mAh / 0,5C or what is your opinion about that? That makes me wonder why SkyRC makes a charger that per standard charges at 0,5C, if it isnīt good for the batteries. Batteries get bigger and bigger in capacity, so the problem will only grow, so to speak - or am I completely misunderstanding something here?

But if 1,5A is safe, as far as I know by reading reviews, it is possible to adjust the charging current on the charger, so thatīs a way to solve it.

Can't decide if I should buy the SkyRC or the more plug-and-play-style Accupower 328+. Maybe the SkyRC is overkill, but I like the quality of their products, and Iīm really satisfied with the D100 hobby charger I have.

By the way, thanks for a great site HKJ - it makes someone proud to be a Dane... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    The standard charging current varies by manufacturer and model. They're not all the same and the data sheets will tell us what Sony, et al., thinks is the best.

That being said, for the bigger 26650s, 2A is easy and for the 18650s, 1A-1.5A is generally the sweet spot, but it's not 'one size fits all'.

HKJ lists the charging current (standard) for the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA 18650 as being 1.675A, so just a hair under .5C, or just over it depending on how you want to initially label the 3500mAh GA. Say you deplete down to 33%, that leaves about an hour and a half to charge them back up at 1.5A, plus/minus a bit.

For the protected Keeppower 3500mAh cells, which I assume are S-P 3500s inside, HKJ mentions a standard charge current of 1A, so I don't know why there's a difference. It could be the PCB protection circuit not accepting a higher current input.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...Red)%20UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batterie...2015%20UK.html

Chris
    If itīs the PCB kicking in, then maybe it isnīt possible to use the chargers setting (0.5/C)and thatīs one of the main reason Im interested in the SkyRC. It would be really nice to cut down on charging-time, but if the batteries (the PCB) canīt handle it, itīs not really a benefit at all.

Iīm only using protected batteries and donīt have plans on changing that.

If itīs the PCB kicking in, then maybe it isnīt possible to use the chargers setting (0.5/C)and thatīs one of the main reason Im interested in the SkyRC. It would be really nice to cut down on charging-time, but if the batteries (the PCB) canīt handle it, itīs not really a benefit at all.

Iīm only using protected batteries and donīt have plans on changing that.
    I think Henrik answered the question. He listed 1A in his test because that's what Keeppower put down in their spec sheet, or somebody did.

I doubt that there would be much of a difference, regarding the PCB, going from 1A to 1.5A, or 2.0A.

I think that the worse part about 1A, 1.5A, or 2A-3A charging is in shortening, or shaving some cycles off the life of the cell, but who's keeping track of this stuff except for Capolini?

Not me.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

^^^^

Pipe down!!!!

Capolini is efficient!
    Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. ,,,Capolini 10.21.2003

Check out this thread. It will give you all the info. you need!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...arger-analyzer
    Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. ,,,Capolini 10.21.2003

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    That's good info, thanks. With that in mind it's +1 for the SkyRC - it would be nice to cut down on charging time. How much do you think it will affect battery life, charging with 1,5 A instead of 1 A, which seems to be the standard max. charge on most (more ordinary) chargers??
    Last edited by Snotgople; 03-20-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    Check out this thread. It will give you all the info. you need!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...arger-analyzer
    Damn, that's a huge thread!!! Thanks for the link.