Considering Lithium Ion is kind of dangerous, do you think solid state battery tech..

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
... or some other new fangled, safer battery technology with higher power and longer run-times will come along and suddenly obsolete all our beautiful 18650 and other Lithium Ion flashlights, and massive flashlight collections? :mad:
Or will the new tech battery people do the right thing and keep the same battery form factor and voltage so you can use the new batteries in the old flashlights? :touche:

Will the lithium Ion batteries eventually be to us like our grandpas talking about some bogus kerosene lamp thing and how great it was out on the farm? :confused:

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things change, but I figure I've got 20-25 years left on this rock, so that's how long I have to have things hold steady.

Li-ions aren't dangerous if you buy quality cells, quality chargers and don't do stupid stuff.

No more dangerous than this:

002.jpg

Chris

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Chemistry is chemistry and voltage is voltage. Odds are the sizes will remain no matter the chemistry. Like the 12 volt adapters made to fit a car cigarette lighter. Don't see many actual car cigarette lighters but the adapter remains.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
... or some other new fangled, safer battery technology with higher power and longer run-times will come along and suddenly obsolete all our beautiful 18650 and other Lithium Ion flashlights, and massive flashlight collections? :mad:
Or will the new tech battery people do the right thing and keep the same battery form factor and voltage so you can use the new batteries in the old flashlights? :touche:

Will the lithium Ion batteries eventually be to us like our grandpas talking about some bogus kerosene lamp thing and how great it was out on the farm? :confused:

Suddenly will not happen. Took over 30 years to get Lithium where it is today. Being the third element on the periodic table leaves only hydrogen as a better alternative.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Russians say: out of stupidity one may break his ****. There is no "safe" technology if a user prefers not to use his brains or whatever he has in the cranium :)

Do you expect those would use batteries properly irrelevantly from chemistry?

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
As Russians say: out of stupidity one may break his ****. There is no "safe" technology if a user prefers not to use his brains or whatever he has in the cranium :)

Do you expect those would use batteries properly irrelevantly from chemistry?

wow, that hurt watching that! You can't fix stupid! :ohgeez:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
So you understand: make a super reliable and safe battery, there always be a "genius" that will manage to blow his *** off with that battery :)

Yeah, sure, anything with a ton of power packed into a small space is going to be potentially dangerous. THere are peeps who will find a way to hack the rules and kill themselves, I don't care if it's digital, chemical, vacuum tube, organic, water based or other. :duh2:

stephenk

Enlightened
As with any technology li-ion will be replaced with something better, but it will decades. I wouldn't hold off on buying lights, cells, or chargers awaiting the next big thing.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things change, but I figure I've got 20-25 years left on this rock, so that's how long I have to have things hold steady.

Li-ions aren't dangerous if you buy quality cells, quality chargers and don't do stupid stuff.

No more dangerous than this:

002.jpg

Chris

That could technically be dangerous if you were to pour a bunch of it into a threaded steel pipe with threaded steel caps on either end and a fuse. Now, don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure that they don't recommend that on the backs of any of those packages. Lol

Seriously though, when I was a teenager, my younger brother began hanging out with these people who lived a few buildings down in our townhouse complex. One of these guys looked like a spitting image of the biblical pictures of Jesus. In fact, his nickname was Jesus John. Well, that was pretty much all he had in common with Jesus, as he used to make these CO2 cartrdge bombs, by drilling out the top opening and slowly filling them with gunpowder. My brother was given one, only it also came with the optional 3.5" nails taped entirely around the outside. It was never lit but it did sit on a shelf in our bedroom closet for awhile(as stupid as it seems in retrospect). I don't think old J.J. actually used these things as weapons or anything, but I didn't hang out with him so I don't know. Either way, it's a really bad idea to make bombs of any type.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Google glass electrolyte lithium battery. I would be willing to put some money on this (if I knew where to put it). There are many mostly believeable references. There is an analogous and fairly recent advancement in older technology (thanks for the pointer, Silverfox) in widely used lead acid batteries - the AGM type - with many advantages. Here's one link that summarizes nicely: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ctrolyte-same-guy-pioneered-lithium-ion-cells

Last edited: