Whirlpool Microwave Range Light bulb LED conversion question

willitwork

Newly Enlightened
So I have a Whirlpool model WMH32519FS-0 that normally takes a light bulb - 8206232A under the range side that is 40w. I wanted to switch the bulb to an LED and conserve energy or maybe even just keep it on at all times as an LED.

I found what should be a suitable replacement in [Kakanuo E17 LED Bulb Microwave Oven Light Dimmable 4 Watt Warm White 3000K 72X3014SMD AC110-130V] on Amazon and made the swap.

My concern is, now that the swap has been made, The light went from 3 settings OFF-LOW-HIGH into a now new 3 setting LOW-MED-HIGH
and there is now no way to actually turn the light off. Should this concern me? Or does this mean that there was always a charge going to the socket and thus meaning it was always pulling some wattage from the factory bulb even though it was off? or has this created a mismatch issue where the bulb is pulling power that it should not be pulling that could be of concern?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Mozzis

Newly Enlightened
I have the exact same problem. People with other older Whirlpool microwaves and problems with the light fixed it by replacing the control board. But no one else I found has this exact problem.

So I have a Whirlpool model WMH32519FS-0 that normally takes a light bulb - 8206232A under the range side that is 40w. I wanted to switch the bulb to an LED and conserve energy or maybe even just keep it on at all times as an LED.

I found what should be a suitable replacement in [Kakanuo E17 LED Bulb Microwave Oven Light Dimmable 4 Watt Warm White 3000K 72X3014SMD AC110-130V] on Amazon and made the swap.

My concern is, now that the swap has been made, The light went from 3 settings OFF-LOW-HIGH into a now new 3 setting LOW-MED-HIGH
and there is now no way to actually turn the light off. Should this concern me? Or does this mean that there was always a charge going to the socket and thus meaning it was always pulling some wattage from the factory bulb even though it was off? or has this created a mismatch issue where the bulb is pulling power that it should not be pulling that could be of concern?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
or has this created a mismatch issue where the bulb is pulling power that it should not be pulling that could be of concern?
The bulb has a threaded base with two conductors.
The new bulb can't just "pull" power-- the socket continuously HAS power, but it's typically so low in (what is labelled) the "off" position that it doesn't light a filament bulb.

This is why it's often a good idea to unplug an appliance rather than just assume that the "off" really means "off", when replacing bulbs, as you might accidentally receive a shock.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's trickle by power used for the dimming circuit in that model, with incan bulbs, a small amount of power is leaked by to power three dimmer circuit itself, it's low but often enough to cause LED bulbs to glow slightly.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I misconstrued the thread title, and came here hoping to see they sell whirlpool microwave range flashlights at Sears next to the X-ray range flashlights. But then... oh, you're asking about replacing an oven lamp. Carry on!