*2017* Nitecore tip

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
they got rid of the essential lockout and replaced it with:

- plastic physical button cover slash "clip"
- 30-second auto-off

i don't know why they did it but IMHO both "features" would be annoying to use. i don't want to have to deal w/ button covers when i want light like right now

but i guess they're targeting non-flashaholics w/ those new "features"

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
The problem with Nitecore is their customer service, it's really bad.

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
TIP V2 is quite good with some obvious limitations which I noted before. I don't have a problem with a clip, but not as a work around for a USB port cover simply put the port in a place where it can be properly protected with a silicone flap really not hard to do. The 30 second mode isn't something I would use no idea why they would put that in there still it's optional rather than forced. If they removed the lock out function that's a very stupid move if you don't have the cover in place (and not everyone will use it) that's a poor design choice. Not seeing anything here to warrant a purchase over the TIP V2.
As for customer support I had issues with over heating on the new i4 no response to emails no reply to tweets. Bet they didn't expect my video review to exceed their own i4 one for views..that's the price you pay for not replying to questions and issues.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those in USA can order from illumn or nitecorestore and rest easy knowing any defect problem will be handled. This is from experience. It is my understanding that Nitecore relies on their vendors for warranty issues. I would be concerned about losing the clip if it was critical in keeping away from accidental activations.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
So far mine has been good but didn't Nitecore have early issues with the lockout draining the battery then other issue with Tips just going dead when left on lockout for too long. Dead like a brick. So maybe the lock out feature was just to problematic.

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
V1 had lockout drain issues this was fixed by V2 (winter edition is V2) no obvious drain and I tested that for weeks. The feature worked well once fixed Nitecore might have reduced the height of the buttons too to prevent this you really have to use the lockout function. If it's been removed that's a step back in design clip adds bulk fine as an add on it's a rather crude workaround for improved button design. That said the TIP does have a good light output and respectable run times at medium power levels. The concept is a good once they just need to re-work it into something better.

Beckler

Enlightened
I see they're continuing their strategy of making completely random design changes in hopes that some of them will be for the better. Maybe it's only biologists working at Nitecore? :O Anyway the strategy's not working at all so far.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I am otherwise fond of the Tip, but the V2 UI is IMHO hobbled by the NEED to use lockout. On the one hand, I'm never 100% sure if the light is in lockout or not, so that leads to ineffective clicks and delays. And on the other hand, -- if I DID remember to lock it out -- lockout can't be disengaged one-handed.

By comparison, the 30 second shutoff mode eliminates the fiddling required to get it to produce light... but now you don't know for sure if it's going to stay on or shut off in 30 seconds! I think having it shut off unexpectedly while you're using it has the potential to be more annoying than having to use two hands to turn it on (and off) every time.

So, I'm kind of on the fence about the 30 second shutoff mode. The lockout feature in Tip V2 works OK when I remember to use it. However I sometimes forget to engage lockout, and this light activates unintentionally a lot. So far I've managed to catch it before too long, but there's always a risk that the Tip will drain itself. Shutting off in 30 secs is preferable... when it's in my pocket. ;)

I suppose my point is this: neither lockout nor auto-shutdown is a good substitute for a proper case & button design that minimizes accidental activation.

The plastic clip is silly addition of weight and bulk for those of us who carry the Tip on their key ring. I suppose if you plan to use it as a makeshift hatbrim headlamp frequently, the clip might have some utility. Provided the clip doesn't fall off and get lost first.

Last edited:

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
"neither lockout nor auto-shutdown is a good substitute for a proper case & button design that minimizes accidental activation"
Pretty much what most who have used or reviewed the TIP say ie the design needs working on. Not that hard to make flush/harder to press buttons to avoid the problem entirely or even a single button and side switch for on/off. Some makers listen to feedback some don't you guessed which one Nitecore is. The brand is well known and they rely on that. They did the same on their chargers had a good couple of models then messed up the new ones. Someone will come along with a similar product and do it properly my money is on Olight

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would've preferred an auto-lock like on phones. everyone's already familiar w/ the concept

rather than auto-off which is going to cut out at exactly the WRONG moment LOL. might even be dangerous depending on what you're using it for

Beckler

Enlightened
Apart from the UI which they've made even worse and more random (seemingly), I was hoping the new version would be be proper aluminum construction rather than the fake "aluminum over plastic". (Their scam worked on me actually, I didn't read up enuf before buying - tho I'd probly still have bought :D). I think that would extend turbo mode availability for more than 30s.

Koam

Newly Enlightened
Can you buy just the clip? I have a bunch of first generation Tips I've never opened I was going to give as gifts. Mine turns on accidentally quite often.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had any issues with the 2nd gen TIPs that I have. I can take them in and out of lockout with one hand easily - thumb over both buttons.

I'm not sure I'd like the new UI of the 2017 TIPs.

I definitely would like a clip on my TIP, but I would want it to be secure - not easily accidentally removed.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
No weird quirks this year, right?
only one
it turns off in 30 seconds unless you use 2 buttons at once

neither lockout nor auto-shutdown is a good substitute for a proper case & button design that minimizes accidental activation.

imo the Tip has great modes and great LED options, the protruding double buttons have been a deal breaker for me.

For my non flash kid, I bought a Lad instead, it has a single recessed button.

It is proving reliable on the keychain of a college student. No accidental activations at all. Most of the time, the first click is all they use. Was told recently that the second click was useful checking the shadows in a parking structure on the way to the car late at night. They have not used the 1 lumen mode, nor the Highest mode. Its been 6 weeks, on the original charge, since I gifted it. Im considering getting another one. I really like the single recessed button.

If I could buy a Tip with a single recessed button, I would. Choosing lights requires compromises based on application priorities.. get some of each :)

Hi, thanks for the attention on the Nitecore TIP2017. And your concerns are certainly valued.
The utility clip of TIP 2017 is a very useful included accessory. It offers more carry options and allows you to cover the buttons and prevent accidental activation when it is not used.

It is also removable and flexible. If you don't need it, you can take it off and put it away. If you want it to cover the other side of the light instead of the button, you can adjust it.

IMG_2708%20knip_zpsam11rn2z.jpg

Regarding the 30s auto off, it is the functionality in the Daily mode, which is designed for applications that require temporary lighting such as finding your key in the darkness etc. It is normally adequate.
We understand that there's possibility you might stumble for more than 30s to find a key, therefore we have added a TEMPORARY constant lighting function in the Daily mode as well. Once the light goes off automatically after 30s, you can immediately press the On/Off switch to have constant lighting (just for this one time) to get your job done.
If you want to have constant illumination not just for one time, just simply hold both the power switch and mode switch until the LED flashed twice to enter the constant-on mode.
We have considered the possible scenarios so as to make the product better. It is very easy to use.

Thank you for your valuable opinion.

Latest posts