Surefire XC1...

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
I've had my XC1 on a Glock 19 since June 2016. My 19 is my CCW and I went to do a little dry practice in the dark and my light wouldn't turn on. I tried for a few minutes to get it to light up using both the paddles and the constant on switch with no luck. So I turned the pistol over and smacked the slide on my palm a couple times and the light turned on... I turned the light on to constant on and smacked the bottom of the light on my palm and it turned off (constant on switch still in on position). I changed the battery and now it's working normally... is it normal for a quality light like Surefire to behave this way with a low battery? This is my first Surefire product so I don't have any experience with how they run on a low charge...
e1d167ac2a9157df17e00977b3716077.jpg

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
It had a regular old Duracell in it, the one I put in and didn't have any issues with is a Rayovac rechargeable. I also have energizer rechargeables also. I have learned recently a quality battery makes a difference and I'm more than willing to upgrade my AAA stock if you have any suggestions.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll do away with rechargeables for weapon mount lights... try using an Energizer Lithium AAA.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
I've had my XC1 on a Glock 19 since June 2016. My 19 is my CCW and I went to do a little dry practice in the dark and my light wouldn't turn on. I tried for a few minutes to get it to light up using both the paddles and the constant on switch with no luck. So I turned the pistol over and smacked the slide on my palm a couple times and the light turned on... I turned the light on to constant on and smacked the bottom of the light on my palm and it turned off (constant on switch still in on position). I changed the battery and now it's working normally... is it normal for a quality light like Surefire to behave this way with a low battery? This is my first Surefire product so I don't have any experience with how they run on a low charge...
e1d167ac2a9157df17e00977b3716077.jpg

I don't mean to be the bringer of bad news but you may want to Google "surefire XC1 problems". While Surefire has a good reputation, it's widely acknowledged in the firearms community that the XC1 wasn't their best effort. You may just have a battery issue but there's a fair chance it's more than that.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XC1 has been unreliable and problematic since its introduction. As Tusk noted, this is common knowledge in the professional and training community.

The X300 represents the Surefire [as a company] of old, whereas the XC1 represents what Surefire has become.

I would recommend contacting SF and let them straighten it out for you.

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
I would love to upgrade to the x300 but for iwb the XC1 is more comfortable for obvious reasons...
I wish I would have waited to buy one but I was in love with the concept of a light no wider or longer than the gun. I see that several people have contacted Amazon (where I got mine too) and Amazon has straightened them out more quickly than Surefire.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would call Surefire and have the light sent in. Also only run Energizer lithium batteries, they will have the best shelf life and won't leak.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Ive had the x300 for about 3 years and have never had an issue with it.

As many complaints as ive read online, I dont think i would risk my life with a product like this.

Sell it, and get something that has a reliable track record.

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
Ive had the x300 for about 3 years and have never had an issue with it.

As many complaints as ive read online, I dont think i would risk my life with a product like this.

Sell it, and get something that has a reliable track record.

Do you carry IWB?
If you do, what position, and holster do you use?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
The Inforce APL is probably your closest option, for a short streamlined holsterable WL. Not that I'm vetting or recommending it, but its on a short list of lights to replace my current.
I think at SHOT this year they launched a smaller APL, similar size as the XC1.

I'm sticking with my regular APL, I prefer some distance beyond the muzzle to be used as a type of stand-off device, preventing the slide being pushed out of battery.

roger-roger

Enlightened
I think at SHOT this year they launched a smaller APL, similar size as the XC1.

I'm sticking with my regular APL, I prefer some distance beyond the muzzle to be used as a type of stand-off device, preventing the slide being pushed out of battery.

Thanks for the heads up, and good point on protecting the muzzle. Of course I'll wait a year or so before considering adapting a newly released light. Even then it goes straight to second string till personally vetted.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XC1 has been and continues to be plagued with problems.

Check out the new APL gen3, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: