Anyways I can easily check the tint of my light?

benjimon

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix UC35 and i'm told the L2 U2 is a very cool white (6500k).

Yet i'm convined it's more neutral if not warm. I can't find much specs but could the LED vary that much?

How can I check?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I have a Fenix UC35 and i'm told the L2 U2 is a very cool white (6500k).

Yet i'm convined it's more neutral if not warm. I can't find much specs but could the LED vary that much?

How can I check?

There are some mobile apps, but you will need one that runs independent of the auto color balancing. If you cannot find one, set your phone cam to daylight preset, which is around 5000k neutral. If the light looks yellow, then it is warmer. If it looks blue, then it is cooler. You will be able to estimate the color of the light when it looks the most neutral, relative to what setting youre in. Incan setting is 2700k, daylight is 4700k-5000k, neutral is 4000-4300k, cloudy is 5700k, etc. Dont quote me on that lol

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool white… neutral… warm.
How can I check?

you can get some idea by comparing it to other lights that have other specs:

I was testing the light on the left, I wanted to know if it was warmer or cooler than the other two.. I put it in what I thought was the correct order, from warm to cool. The middle light has a spec of 4500k LED, what I call neutral.. (it actually measures 4360, I think a variation of 200 points is in the normal range) I dont know the specs of the light on the right, but I can tell it is cooler :)
33533192615_9bb2ec08ac_b.jpg

I sometimes compare to lightbulbs on my ceiling (whose color temperature I know from the box). I happen to have 3000k (I call that warm) Incandescent in my kitchen. All my LED lights look more cool blue when I shine them on the ceiling next to the Incan, so Im sure none of My neutral an cool LEDs are warm

markr6

Flashaholic
"Tint" is the problem. For example, a typical 5000K household bulb is blue IMO. Compare that to a 5000K MT-G2 flashlight and it's pretty much white. Maybe it's just my eyes. I think that's where the tint comes in; same CCT @ 5000K, but totally different tints.

I always compare lights to my Nichia 219B 4500K which I always call "gray". No real tint and just plain white. It's so good it makes most lights look like crap, but I can at least measure it somewhat objectively that way.