What to do with twelve 16340 batteries?

gvblake22

Newly Enlightened
I purchased twelve of the silver Trustfire batteries that were sold as RCR123A but actually say 16340 on them. Unfortunately, they are just slightly too long as a rechargeable replacement for my CR123 batteries. I missed the return window and now I'm stuck with these things. What is the best application for these batteries?

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you send them back or exchange them for what you need?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Life lesson #632:

Note to self, I don't think that I'm going to buy 12 TrustFire 16340s today.

You won't want to do this, but I'd take them down to the recycle bin and just get rid of them. You'll be better off taking the financial penalty, than having to muck with them and worry about the potential safety issues.

Chris

night.hoodie

Enlightened
You won't want to do this, but I'd take them down to the [^nearest hardware store battery] recycle bin and just get rid of them. You'll be better off taking the financial penalty, than having to muck with them and worry about the potential safety issues.

I agree. Also, FTFY.

And welcome, OP. Stick around here and stuff like that will never happen again.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for the advice.

I'm a cheapskate and I try and keep my stuff in good shape and hold onto it, but at some point, mucking around with bad/old batteries/cells just isn't worth it, especially when I have a huge box of good ones sitting here unused.

If you know what you're doing and have an analyzing charger, you could fiddle with them and see what you see, but looking at HKJ's testing of XXX-Fire cells, most of them really aren't worth the effort, even when new.

Chris

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can do what I did when I accidentally bought the wrong batteries; I bought a light to go with them. I have clue waht lights go with those batteries.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Are you in the states or uk? If uk then I will take them as they may be what I need.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Or you can do what I did when I accidentally bought the wrong batteries; I bought a light to go with them. I have clue waht lights go with those batteries.

That seems reasonable, as long as the OP knows what he's getting into with this brand of cells, understands the risks involved. We love flashaholics, even the daredevils (which I personally admire immensely and live vicariously through their escapades), because we love ourselves, though when any one flashaholic meets misadventure or misfortune, it effects us all. Won't someone think of the flashaholics? Seriously, though, be advised.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seems reasonable, as long as the OP knows what he's getting into with this brand of cells, understands the risks involved. We love flashaholics, even the daredevils (which I personally admire immensely and live vicariously through their escapades), because we love ourselves, though when any one flashaholic meets misadventure or misfortune, it effects us all. Won't someone think of the flashaholics? Seriously, though, be advised.

They might have been good in 16340 lights 5-6 years ago, when things were kind of tame (thinking of my Shiningbeam I-Mini/Sunwayman M11R) but nowadays, things are banging upwards of 3A and crappy cells aren't even going to make moderate turbo levels and if they do, we're probably talking seconds if we're lucky.

If you want to use them as moonlight level vampires, that's cool, but keeping track of that stuff seems like a waste of time, but that's...just...my opinion, man.

Chris