Battery pack spot welders

saladsack

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy a spot welder to make battery packs. Many of them are $80 to $100 on eBay and amazon. Some of the listings say that they are "not applicable for pure nickel strips". Other listing do not say this. Do some of these spot welders not work with pure nickel strips? How can I tell if they will work with these strips?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
well there are pure nickel strips and nickel-plated STEEL strips. steel has higher resistance and may corrode over time

spot welding is a resistive process so it's more difficult to achieve a good weld w/ pure nickel. requires more amps which the welder may not be able to supply

what kind of packs are you going to build?

saladsack

Newly Enlightened
well there are pure nickel strips and nickel-plated STEEL strips. steel has higher resistance and may corrode over time

spot welding is a resistive process so it's more difficult to achieve a good weld w/ pure nickel. requires more amps which the welder may not be able to supply

what kind of packs are you going to build?

18650 8 series, how many amps are required for pure nickel .1mm?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
you planning on buying one of those sunkko welders that look like they came from the 70's? many people seem to have problems w/ those. what i use is a little gadget that hooks up to a large 12v battery. it basically delivers two timed "shorts" using a microcontroller and a MOSFET bank. i can't refer you to it because it's been discontinued. but i think there are some newer ones based on arduino. just look around

.1 nickel shouldn't be hard to weld. i use 0.15 for higher amp packs

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
rlhHidv.jpg

made by a guy in croatia but he stopped making them. the 12v 3s pack powers the circuit.

BVH

Flashaholic
I actually ordered it just before I got the Joyfay Sunko spot welder. Consequently, I have not set up the Arduino unit. It's too easy to use the Sunko unit.

saladsack

Newly Enlightened
I actually ordered it just before I got the Joyfay Sunko spot welder. Consequently, I have not set up the Arduino unit. It's too easy to use the Sunko unit.

Do you plan on using it?