Lights That Use a White Main LED with a Secondary Colored LED?

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Sometime ago I had a Fenix TK15C (I think that's its name) that had a center positioned white main led and then two or three colored LEDs around the main led. It was a great idea, especially for me since I compete in night time road rallies which do not permit the use of GPS--a map is used.

However, my co-driver and I quickly realized that the TK15C's colored LEDs were simply way too bright and we would need to acquire a better solution in the future. We discussed filters over lower powered lights but that just seemed like adding one more complication to what needs to be a very minimal travel and load out bag.

There is the Surfire Aviato, but at $300, that's a new set of race tires for us.

My question is: are there any sub 10 lumen colored led lights out there that also have a decently bright main white emitter? Anything less than the $150 range would be ideal. I'm thinking maybe an older used Surefire Aviator?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
JP

night.hoodie

Enlightened
incan Surefire A2 Aviator with their secondary LED's in R/G/B/W/YG, with a Tad Custom's A2-socket and bipin lamps of your output preference is a solid choice. They can be found on eBay used, NIB, and rarely still found at retail shops new, and in the WTS sections here, sometimes for a song. Unfortunately, the new all LED Surefire Aviator single-cell light recently released is above your stated budget, but so far has been well-received, at least in concept.

I know Nitecore has a number of models with a single secondary LED, and I think it may do multiple primary colors... can't recall. Hard to compare that with Surefire, would depend on the individual and the task.

There are multicolored lights from Fenix (TK15C) and Eagtac (D25LC2), as well, specialized for that use, with far more powerful colored secondary LEDs than Nitecore or Surefire, with more mode options. I believe there is at least one more light from another manufacturer that is similar to these two, but... the names escape me. Someone here knows.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Nitecore, what you are talking about is the Chameleon series. The secondary leds are offered in red, blue, green, UV, and infrared. Also, the EA11 and EC11 have a small secondary red LED. If you run the EA11 on a regular AA cell, the Low mode is 17 lumens, and the Lower mode is 1 lumen. They don't have a number for the red LED lumens, but it isn't very bright. I think it would be good for map reading, etc. if you want to preserve night vision. The Turbo mode is around 300 lumens. If you use a 14500 in the EA11, or the EC11 then the Turbo mode is around 900 lumens, and the low jumps up to 70 lumens.

So basically, if you want throw and can live with 1 lumen for the bottom of the output, use the EA11 with a 14500 or the EC11 with any CR123, RC123, 16350 cell. If you don't need the throw, or it is more important to have a little more light at the bottom end, use the EA11 with a regular AA cell.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just for completeness, the new Oveready BOSS is worth a mention, though price is well past the listed budget.

Interestingly, the colored emitter (red or amber) is relatively centrally located, surrounded by three rather powerful white LEDs.

It is extensively programmable, although the output level of the color emitter is low and fixed.

-----

Another fantastic dual color torch is (was, actually) the Ra 85Tr Twisty. Low red output is first, followed by low white, and high white. This vintage torch is now rare and collectable, however.

-----

Is LRI still making the Proton PRO ? I can't remember how bright the low red output was on that one ....

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
In addition to the suggestions already offered. I think one of the several "infinite" adjustable LED lights might serve your purpose.

Some have adjustments that go down to sub-lumen which might preclude the need for a secondary LED. Examples, include the old SF Titan T1A (or similarly SF Minimus Headlamp), Jetbeam RRT-0, Niteye Eye10, etc.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest a Streamlight Night Com C4 LED flashlight @ approx $45

1. Lo power indicator type LED (for maximum night vision preservation); <0.05 lumens
2. Two Ultra-Bright RED LEDs; 2.5 lumens with up to 28 hours of run time
3. Center C4 bright white LED; 105 lumens with up to 3.5 hour run time

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend as a possibility for use the Sunwayman V11R as it has a ring adjustment that when set to low is one lumen, perfect for nighttime and since it's white light it makes it easy to read the map.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I went with the Nitecore EA11. It has the very low red light output and in a bind, I can use a single AA. I actually found the light with two Nitecore IMR 14500s and a charger for only ten bucks more than the light by itself.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Is LRI still making the Proton PRO ? I can't remember how bright the low red output was on that one ....

I'm not certain they are still manufactured, though the Proton PRO is still easily and readily avialable off eBay and maybe Amazon. That said, however, IMO, it is not a pro flashlight, and is really mostly likeable for its novelty to collectors (IMO). Both the main cool white LED and the secondary red LED use PWM, and can be set with its electronic side switch in small descrete steps to nearly any brightness up to its max brightness which is direct drive. It is a neat light, and though the host is aluminum, it feels more like a toy, and it would make a great gift for a child to get them interested in flashlights, except for that purpose, it is probably a little too pricey.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought a Bushnell that has a red ring that is perfect for low light conditions when only a tad bit is required or wanted.
Problem is it starts out with its 150 bright white lumens first. So you click real fast to get to the red, but spend 10 seconds re-adapting to night vision as the sudden flash of photons freaked out your pupils so bad they take a few seconds to re-gather their collective wits about them.

I tried holding my hand over the lens, but it just seemed less than ideal to do that... so its a dust collector. The high setting is great, but I have 122 other lights that work just as well.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I received my EA11 today and I am quite pleased. The red is very low and instantly accessible from off as is the highest setting of the white led. True, the red led is hampered a bit by being off center in the reflector but for my purpose, it's just fine.