AA/AAA Infinite Variable Input Light

HGWXX7

Newly Enlightened
I have a Peak Eiger with QTC, which is good, but not very precise. It's hard to make it stay at a dim setting.
Classic example: I find if I invert the flashlight, and then revert it, the light intensity will increase.

Are there any alternatives, ideally around $50? I've seen the Sunwayman V11R, but it's CR123, and I am looking for something more pocket friendly.

Thanks!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Peak Eiger with QTC, which is good, but not very precise. It's hard to make it stay at a dim setting.
Classic example: I find if I invert the flashlight, and then revert it, the light intensity will increase.

Are there any alternatives, ideally around $50? I've seen the Sunwayman V11R, but it's CR123, and I am looking for something more pocket friendly.

Thanks!

The V11 is the only one that I have actual experience with and mine did come with the AA extension tube too,it is a great light!
The Nitecore SRT3 I think is also like that and comes with the tube extension for AA but is much bigger than the V11 I think too?

Then there is the HDS which will run on 2AA and I call mine the club! Great light but big and pricey.

There are just no great options right now for variable output and AA or even any other battery type?

HGWXX7

Newly Enlightened
I did some more looking at the V11R and I think I will check it out. I feel silly--the CR123 is pretty much a shorter AA on that model so, the real bump is from AAA to AA! I like that I can drop my Eiger into my coin pocket, but I'm not opppsed to broadening my horizons.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes as said, the v11r with ext tube fits the bill, is a little on the larger side though for AA/14500. After all this time, it is still a fav of mine for EDC duty. I have mine in 16340 form, just prefer it a little shorter. Thanks to gunga, it has new life breathed in it with a 219c 5000k nichia, before it was a little too cool(OK though, just not brilliant).

16340 size

AA/14500 body extension middle

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might get lucky and find an old Jetbeam RRT-01. I think they also made an AA version, maybe under the Niteye brand.

Also discontinued is the D10 and the EX10, hard to find but I love them l

gunga

Flashaholic
There were some custom/aftermarket AA extenders for the rrt-01, but this is not easy to find. The Logan with 17500 body and the El capitan work but are qtc (good/bad).

You can find the super rare sunwayman v10r ti with kuku AA body.

The discontinued sunwayman v10a was AA.

The choices are few and far between.

HGWXX7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to gunga, it has new life breathed in it with a 219c 5000k nichia, before it was a little too cool(OK though, just not brilliant).

Now I'm really sold! I didn't realize there was an option for Nichia mod!! Please tell me more

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn it. Because of this thread I bought a v11r. I already have a couple v10r ti but couldn't resist (again).

I had a tan V10R and it started glitching on primaries, but worked fine on 16340s. It did start to develop a hitch in the smoothness of the control ring's output, but that was just a minor nit. I decided to send it back to Battery Junction, since it was right at the expiry of warranty.

They sent it back to SWM, but they couldn't fix it and had no parts. BJ sent me the then new V11R XM-L U2 and that's been fine for 3+ years, although the ring is loosening up a tad, but the output is still uniform. I bought another V11R from Illumination when they had them for $40 and I bought two AA extenders for $5 each, or something and that, the new light being an XM-L2 U2 which sits in its box for now.

I also have a tan M11R, but that's not as crazy on a 16340, as the V11R and V10R are/were.

Love the lights, but at some point, I'm going to have to attempt a 'repack' job down the road.

Chris