SOG Twitch

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any comments/experience/reviews of this assisted opening knife?
I am interested in it because it is assisted opening and it utilizes a flipper like on the Colunbia River M16 which I own and love. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Overload

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Flash and the Blink, but not the Twitch because it can't be setup for lefty use. However, the flash works the same but doesnt have the 'kick' to push, you have to use a thumb knob like usual but the assist works there too. I find little difference between the thumb assist and a full on switchblade. A switchblade might be a bit faster.

hope this helps,
Overload in Colorado

felder

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a twitch II and I really like it. Not much to say about the knife really. Works as advertised...hit the little flipper thing and the knife pops right out. It also has right and left thumb studs. Knife is well built and very visually appealing (to me at least).

I don't see what the other poster is saying about it not working left handed. I'm left handed and while the clip is better suited for right handers, it doesn't impede the use of the knife at all. The lock, safety, and flipper thingy are on the top of the knife, not on the side and it's got dual thumbstuds. Thus it makes very little difference which hand you hold it in.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I also EDC a Flash 1 Graphite Anoed and love the SAT. Doesn't have the flipper thing as mentioned, you must use the thumb knop to open it but the SAT works great. Clip is easily coverted for lefties. It looks nice, feels great, is sturdy, and is my favorite mini pocket sized knife as of now.

Overload

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
felder said:
I don't see what the other poster is saying about it not working left handed. I'm left handed and while the clip is better suited for right handers, it doesn't impede the use of the knife at all. The lock, safety, and flipper thingy are on the top of the knife, not on the side and it's got dual thumbstuds. Thus it makes very little difference which hand you hold it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can the clip be flipped for left hand pocket carry, and therefore one hand opening with the left hand? This is what I consider a lefty knife. I know many knives that have double studs for opening and a back lock, but while a lefty can use them, I don't consider them lefty knives.
On the other hand, yes, this knife will work left handed and won't explode, injure you or fall apart when used lefty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just bought two Kershaw knives that are like this. I thought I'd be able to flip the clip, but I can't. These will be FS here soon.

Look at most Benchmade AXIS knives (705,710,720,etc) to see what I'm talking about. I can clip in inside my left pocket, remove it, open it, use it, close it, and return it, all with my left hand barely changeing my grip through the entire process.

Overload in Colorado

Danosaurus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Overload said:
I just bought two Kershaw knives that are like this. I thought I'd be able to flip the clip, but I can't. These will be FS here soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Kershaws are they? PM me when you want to sell them, I may be interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

felder

Newly Enlightened
I fully understand what you mean by a left handed knife...after all I mentioned I was left handed. For example I would never buy a right handed Sebenza. Why? Because you cannot open and close it easily with your left hand. It's only got one thumbstud and the locking mechanism is such that you cannot disengage it with your left hand easily. Now a left handed sebenza is totally different scenario. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Similar thing with the flash knives. I own a flash II (much cheaper than a sebenza), but would not consider it to be fully usable with the left hand. Sure you can open it, but the lock release mechanism is much better suited for right handed people.

The twitch is different because for all intents and purposes it works equally well in both hands. The only problem is the clip is better suited for right handers (i.e. my fingers grip the clip when holding the knife). I consider this to only be a minor issue because the goods for the knife are on top, it has dual thumbstuds, and the clip is very broad and flat. In fact in one way it is helpful because the knife is tip up carry. When I pull it out of my left pocket with my left hand I do not need to reposition the knife to open it (i.e. the blade doesn't open toward my palm).

I think the twitch is a very nice little knife. Don't rule it out completely without checking it out just because the clip isn't reversable.

Overload

Newly Enlightened
Strange, I think the lock on the Flash is better suited for a lefty as you just use your thumb on it.... Wait, did you mean the LOCK or the 'Blade Release'? It's the blade release I'm talking about. The LOCK is hard to get to once you switch the clip.
I'll take a look at the twitch next time I see one. How they compare to the Kershaw Onion knives with their blade-stub assist?

Overload in Colorado

Overload

Newly Enlightened
Oh, a cute knife that seems perfect for lefties (I'll get mine in a few days and follow up) is the Schrade Spitfire. But, it's a SMALL knife with NO clip, and Leash Lock (a lanyard attachment that detaches from the knife easily). In the same category as a Benchmade Benchmite but more ambi.

Overload in Colorado

Overload

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Overload said:
Strange, I think the lock on the Flash is better suited for a lefty as you just use your thumb on it.... Wait, did you mean the LOCK or the 'Blade Release'? It's the blade release I'm talking about. The LOCK is hard to get to once you switch the clip.
I'll take a look at the twitch next time I see one. How they compare to the Kershaw Onion knives with their blade-stub assist?

Overload in Colorado

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to recant what I said above. I have my Flash II with me today, and the blade lock and safty are both on the wrong side for lefties. My bad. You CAN still use the blade lock with your index finger, but then you cant use that finger to close the blade as you would right handed.

Overload in Colorado

felder

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Overload said:

Overload in Colorado

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two leeks and I have to say I like their assisted opening better. You hit the little kicker on a leek and the blade pops right out and makes a very satisfying and forceful click.

This isn't to say the assisted opening on the twitch is bad. You hit the kicker on that and the blade pops out...it's just not as satisfying or as quick in my opinion as the leek. The safety on the twitch is a lot better than the safety on my leeks though. That's the only weakness I see with the leeks. The safety seems like it could disengage in my pocket and it's rather flimsy. Just a sliding plastic shield that blocks the tip of the blade from coming out. It kinda cheapens an otherwise excellent knife in my opinion. Oh and the safety on the leek is on the side so it's not as good for lefties as the twitch.