4.35V cells - Should different voltage limits be used on them (vs 4.2V cells)?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The post about capacity of 4.35V cells got me thinking. Since these cells charge to a higher voltage and generally maintain a hugher voltage throughout the discharge cycle, should we be using different voltage limits on them than 4.2V cells? For instance, should they NOT be discharged to the same voltage as 4.2V cells? And would it be beneficial to store them at a slightly higher voltage than 4.2V cells? I've seen nothing that suggests that they should be treated any differently from 4.2V cells. But then again, far fewer people use them. So information tends to be scant.

ven

Flashaholic
Can not add anything, other than the nominal voltage is a little higher 3.7/3.8v and the min V is around 2.75(will slightly vary). A few years back there seems to be a little advantage, but there were not as much choice back in 2007 when the samsung SDI came out. Today we have 10a 3500mah cells, high drains with over 3000mah capacity. So for today, imo, i can not see any advantage of running 4.35v 3000mah cell other than potential cost savings. Maybe low demand applications would still justify investment ................they would hold a higher voltage under normal applications(not high amps).

Looking back, i think part of the reason at the time i bought a few 4.35v cells was simply because i could and they were an interesting option to try.

The only 4.35v cells i tend to run these days are the sanyo 16650's..............in abundance. iirc i have around 8 on the go!(being used at same time). These again imo are great cells...........

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The post about capacity of 4.35V cells got me thinking. Since these cells charge to a higher voltage and generally maintain a hugher voltage throughout the discharge cycle, should we be using different voltage limits on them than 4.2V cells? For instance, should they NOT be discharged to the same voltage as 4.2V cells? And would it be beneficial to store them at a slightly higher voltage than 4.2V cells? I've seen nothing that suggests that they should be treated any differently from 4.2V cells. But then again, far fewer people use them. So information tends to be scant.

4.2v NCA cells like NCR-B have their cycle life characterized in their datasheets w/ 2.5v cutoff

in the 4.35v cells e.g. sanyo ZTA it's 3.0v

of course the cycle life will improve if you don't hit these limits

these higher voltage cells are very common on phones. the one i'm using now goes up to 4.4v

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
Yes, neither you should discharge them down so far as "normal" cells, nor you should store them at open circuit voltages of about 3.6 to 3.7V
I use those cells (especially LG ICR18650D1 and E1) in a helmet lamp project with single cell supply and linear driver for LED currents up to 3A. For such applications these cells hold longer than even the best high current cells.
The cells are empty when the open circuit voltage is still above 3.6V. Under load the cut off voltage can be lower, but even under load it makes no sense to go lower than 3V!
4.2V cells usually are stored at 3.6 to 3.7V where they are at about half charge. 4.35 cells need about 3.85 to 3.95V to have half charge.