Clear Nalgene water bottle and your headlamp :)

OldmanRon

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada is based on the REI model in the United States. Been around for decades ... :)

I just saw a cool new hint on their website, but cannot seem to share it right now ...

Super simple ... take off your headlamp when you're bedded-down and don't expect to need it anymore for the usual chores. And then simply strap it on to a full clear Nalgene bottle of water or whatever is transparent. Lens pointing in at the clear base ... headband snugged around the top.

Bam! Instant low-level light for reading (or whatever) everywhere. No lumens wasted.

I will try it tomorrow, but the Physics teacher (and the horn-dog) in me is interested.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the idea before with a gallon jug, but I have to admit - this is an interesting approach for camping.

I found a similar photo which pretty much conveys, I think, what you're talking about:

Keener-9967-Nalgene-Lantern-600x938.jpg

EtA: This is the water jug and headlamp I was referencing earlier:
F3EI46YHI3U15CH.LARGE.jpg

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Great idea, just waiting for the August desert 120 degree day blackout, I don't sit it out it out any more after 30 minutes the house is too hot, and I collect the cats and go to the go a nice big hotel.

In the winter, I will try it out.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen this tip before. Just about anything translucent can make a decent diffuser for a light in a pinch, or sometimes items that bounce or bend the light around like a Nalgene.

Another nice thing about the Nalgene trick is it's easier to find in a dark tent than a headlamp alone.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tailstand a light with a full bottle of water on it. Works great for camping light. Another cool one I do is put one of those big yellow bouncy balls they sell at Walmart in that cage on it. Makes great bug resistant lighting.

BloodLust

Enlightened
I use the classic Nalgene that's frosted white. Diffuses much better.
My previous one had a Guyot Designs Firefly with built in LED but I lost that during a trip.
Might have to pick 1 up again soon.
The light ramps up or down too click to turn on/off. Hold to change intensity.

FireFly233.jpg

firefly_top.jpg

(Not my pics.)

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess one would have to haul an empty plastic gallon. Only thing is the walls are too thin. Nalgene may be better. Cool ideas.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't the jug potentially melt with many headlamps even on lower settings?

great idea though....

No, low modes will be fine. Even up to 100 lumens or so, the light usually barely even feels warm.