RMSK, Inc.        
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: It's here the Zebralight SC5C MK II H CRI

Default Re: It's here the Zebralight SC5C MK II H CRI

Quote Originally Posted by mhanlen View Post
    Yeah... I love the footprint of it. But yeah... maybe my unit is bum. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has issues as they roll in.
    It's going to be my new EDC Previously it was the SC5w, now this one will replace it. The tint on my sample I would describe as a golden/amber color, very pleasing to the eyes and especially on wood grain and such it excels.

So you didn't see any PWM on 2.8 lumen L1 either? Good to hear that I just may have a bum unit. I sent them an email- so we'll see what happens. According to their website- it's current controlled, so I shouldn't be seeing PWM.
    ZL is deceptive in the statement (among others). ZL used to say constant current but a thread awhile back proved they used PWM with the exception that it didn't turn the LED all the way off but kept it on for the "logical zero" portion, in other words there's a DC bias. I think the thread called this non-PWM but a better term to me is non-return-to-zero PWM. I think in response ZL changed this to say current controlled to give the illusion of what some are looking for of no PWM.

perhaps for low lumen modes the dc bias is soo low it is essentially off so its very close to regular PWM and maybe you are more sensitive to it then others. or it could just be a dud light.

I posted beam shots and comparison pics at the end of page 6 if anyone wants to see and compare.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    It's going to be my new EDC Previously it was the SC5w, now this one will replace it. The tint on my sample I would describe as a golden/amber color, very pleasing to the eyes and especially on wood grain and such it excels.
    THat s why I believe it could be great as a hiking, camping light...it's my hope that it makes the woods come alive with tint/cri combo. With its tuff, substantial feel (but not unecessarily heavy) it should be great for any outdoor activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattz68 View Post
    Mark -is it possible that your just not a 4000k kinda guy? I seem to recall from some of your previous post that 5000k (pure white) is your "sweet spot":-) That's not to say that yellow is desirable -so I totally get what your saying, especially with all the hype around the "2 step" thing. From my experience with 4000k, it's got to hit a brighter golden, not dirty, piss yellow.
    That thought always crosses my mind, but the 4000K Malkoff dropin I have is totally white. A little rose color from the Nichia, but overall a very white (colorless) light. The old 4300K Zebralights I have are also neutral. Can't say pure white, but much better than this gold. I ordered the SC5w II so we'll see how that does.
    GOOD TINT!

Got mine today! I can't compare it my SC5w - 1 of my kids used & misplaced it I like warmer tints. I liked the 4500 of the SC5w, & I like this 4000 too. I have not been following this thread & mistakenly put it in G6 without knowing it. I had L2 programmed as H1 & was very confused for a bit! Maybe something else I missed... mine (when off) beacon flashes a lower level every 15 to 18 seconds. It does not seem to be exact. It will flash then 15 seconds later flash again, then 17 seconds flash again, then 16, then 15, then 18 seconds. Weird & I can't figure out if there is a way to turn it off. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    ZL is deceptive in the statement (among others). ZL used to say constant current but a thread awhile back proved they used PWM with the exception that it didn't turn the LED all the way off but kept it on for the "logical zero" portion, in other words there's a DC bias. I think the thread called this non-PWM but a better term to me is non-return-to-zero PWM. I think in response ZL changed this to say current controlled to give the illusion of what some are looking for of no PWM.

perhaps for low lumen modes the dc bias is soo low it is essentially off so its very close to regular PWM and maybe you are more sensitive to it then others. or it could just be a dud light.
    That sounds like filtered PWM, which is one means of controlling current.

Other buyers who are sensitive to PWM should post their impressions to help sort out whether mhanlen is experiencing a real effect or got a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    Got mine today! I can't compare it my SC5w - 1 of my kids used & misplaced it I like warmer tints. I liked the 4500 of the SC5w, & I like this 4000 too. I have not been following this thread & mistakenly put it in G6 without knowing it. I had L2 programmed as H1 & was very confused for a bit! Maybe something else I missed... mine (when off) beacon flashes a lower level every 15 to 18 seconds. It does not seem to be exact. It will flash then 15 seconds later flash again, then 17 seconds flash again, then 16, then 15, then 18 seconds. Weird & I can't figure out if there is a way to turn it off. Thoughts?
    I know the low battery indicator does this on my SC5 lights I have, it could be an aneliop with a low battery/needs charging? That's the only beacon I can think of that flashes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That thought always crosses my mind, but the 4000K Malkoff dropin I have is totally white. A little rose color from the Nichia, but overall a very white (colorless) light. The old 4300K Zebralights I have are also neutral. Can't say pure white, but much better than this gold. I ordered the SC5w II so we'll see how that does.
    I have a high CRI XM-L2 Armytek that I'd also describe as yellowish, but not in a way I find offensive. I think it's partially due to the phosphor mix Cree uses. I discussed over in the tint snob thread some of the apparent differences between Cree and Nichia spectrums, but I'm not sure Cree can get to 93 CRI at 4000K using their prior approach, so I will be interested to see if we can figure out what's going on. If Maukka ever tests one of these, I will read his report with interest.

However, my XM-L2 light is below 3000K, so it was pretty natural for it not to appear neutral.

Ah man. It's like she has a cute face, but also cankles. Then on top of that you just realize you've been wearing beer-googles all along.
    You and others like you might be the reason lights aren't (even) better made. People buying new flashlights like people devoutly buying the next generation of smart phones, are they pushing innovation or just consumption? Wider head for even more throw. Wow. That's new.

Alright, now that it's dark I've had a chance to turn the lights out, test it outside some, and just experiment with it in general. I have to say the more I use it, the more my old SC5w looks like a cool white light and this one is far better if you like warm light. The main thing I've noticed is browns, green and red colors seem to be brought out very well. Comparing it with my Nichia, I'd say the biggest differences are that the Nichia renders white a little better and this one excels with wood, leaves and greenery. Any additional beam shots or comparisons I should try?

The pocket clip is VERY STIFF but all I had to do was bend it and hold it a few seconds and now it clips on/off like it should. The button offers a firm click, not mushy like my older SC5w is. The lighter weight and smaller tube diameter make this feel more like a SC52/62 series light. It's still not quite there but much better.

Mark, you should try yours outdoors if you haven't yet. I've been using mine for about 30 mins and now that my eyes have adjusted to the warmer temp it's very pleasing. Not an ugly yellow or green like some lights I've had.
    Last edited by snowlover91; 05-19-2017 at 07:36 PM.

I know the low battery indicator does this on my SC5 lights I have, it could be an aneliop with a low battery/needs charging? That's the only beacon I can think of that flashes like that.
    The battery came fresh outta my maha, & a 4 click battery test yields a 4 flash response. Yet the 15 second beacon continues...

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    That sounds like filtered PWM, which is one means of controlling current.

Other buyers who are sensitive to PWM should post their impressions to help sort out whether mhanlen is experiencing a real effect or got a dud.
    filtered PWM is something different for different purpose. also you seem to think the PWM controls the current, however PWM is the OUTPUT of the current-mode control circuit.

The battery came fresh outta my maha, & a 4 click battery test yields a 4 flash response. Yet the 15 second beacon continues...
    Have you checked to make sure it's not in beacon strobe mode perhaps?

• Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off. Once in the beacon-strobe mode, you can double-click to cycle through different types of beacons and strobes. Beacon-strobe settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through battery changes.

Have you checked to make sure it's not in beacon strobe mode perhaps?

• Beacon-strobe mode can be accessed from 3 short-clicks when the light is Off. Once in the beacon-strobe mode, you can double-click to cycle through different types of beacons and strobes. Beacon-strobe settings are memorized when the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    It doesn't appear to be. A double click acts the same as from off - it puts it in a constant medium level. Another double click toggles to the other medium. Single turns off & 15 second beacon continues. Also, I tested it more precisely with my phone's stopwatch & it is like 14.8 seconds between flashes (used lap function). I was using an analog wall clock before.

It doesn't appear to be. A double click acts the same as from off - it puts it in a constant medium level. Another double click toggles to the other medium. Single turns off & 15 second beacon continues. Also, I tested it more precisely with my phone's stopwatch & it is like 14.8 seconds between flashes (used lap function). I was using an analog wall clock before.
    Hmm very strange, my beacons are about 5 seconds apart but my battery flash is around 15 seconds apart. For some reason it sounds like it might be thinking your battery is low even though it's not. Only other advice I have would be to try a few different batteries to see if it exhibits the same behavior still.

Flashaholic

I received both my SC5cII and H53c today. It won't be dark for awhile so can't speak to that. I'm impressed with the size of the H53c but it's the first AA headlamp I've purchased from ZL. The SC5c is a bit smaller than my SC5w to the point I can notice it. Aesthetically, I like the chrome clip better on the SC5w than the black clip with the holes on the SC5cII. I think the black chrome finish of the removable clip that came with the H53c would have looked better than either. The Zebralight printing on the SC5cII is not as sharp as my SC5w which surprised me. This is all nitpicking, overall nice looking light. Really liking the H53c, but I wish the clip wouldn't come preinstalled.

For some reason my lights from ZL always arrive ahead of the original tracking info which is cool.

More beamshots. Nichia on the left here, MK2 on the right.

Which one of these is the Nichia, and which one is the SC5 Mk2?

Just got mine today. ... it flickers. Also L1 default has pretty low frequency PWM. There is a distinct difference between the flickering and PWM.
    to the best of my present understanding, Zebralight uses constant current with a feedback loop that creates a type of "circuit noise".

see #80
    it's more than just a very low amplitude flicker especially on the SC5Fc.

Here is a photo, thanks to maukka, that overlays a theoretical PWM square wave over the Zebralight SC5fc pulsed power management system

Here is a photo of Low1 on an SC52 (photo from Samsung Galaxy S7)

Constant-current regulators... use feedback-monitoring circuitry to enhance efficiency, and incorporate current balancing protection, sometimes manifesting as pulsing that can resemble PWM.

Zebralight et.al. can rightfully claim not to use PWM (pulse wave modulation), but they still use PWM (pulse whatever modulation)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 05-19-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Does anyone have a zebralight h600fc 3 to compare? That is a 4000K easy white and I love it.

Hmm very strange, my beacons are about 5 seconds apart but my battery flash is around 15 seconds apart. For some reason it sounds like it might be thinking your battery is low even though it's not. Only other advice I have would be to try a few different batteries to see if it exhibits the same behavior still.
    I tried several eneloops, all fully charged. They all exhibited the 15 second beacon when off. They all indicated 4 flashes when using the battery test function. I then tried an Energizer lithium (1.8V), it had the same 15 second beacon when off. It also indicated 4 flashes when using the battery test function. The only way I can get it to stop is to slightly unscrew the tailcap. Otherwise the light appears to function as it should. Annoying. Defective? I guess I'll email or call Zebralight tomorrow.

can you tell me which LEDs are in your photos, including their CCTs

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Does anyone have a zebralight h600fc 3 to compare? That is a 4000K easy white and I love it.
    yes,
    it is one of these, I will send you the answer key privately after you tell me which one looks best to you :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 05-19-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Mark, Could it be that the LED on your SC5c has a tint that is on the edge of the 2-step Macadam ellipse? We only get rid off of tint lottery completely if it's one-step but it seems like 2-step is the best Cree can offer. Colour accuracy wise my M43 might still be the best (not by a whole lot though), but for outdoor use I would pick my SC600Fd Plus and H53Fc over the M43. The two Cree based light just produce light that is more natural to the eye, while the M43 is more of a "laboratory white", if you know what I mean.

I got to take the H53Fc with me last night and it was exactly what snowlover says, the "c" version excels with woods, leaves and greenery. Unfortunately my phone was out of juice so no photos here.

Left Nichia, middle is one of the "w" variants and right is the SC5c

I tried several eneloops, all fully charged. They all exhibited the 15 second beacon when off. They all indicated 4 flashes when using the battery test function. I then tried an Energizer lithium (1.8V), it had the same 15 second beacon when off. It also indicated 4 flashes when using the battery test function. The only way I can get it to stop is to slightly unscrew the tailcap. Otherwise the light appears to function as it should. Annoying. Defective? I guess I'll email or call Zebralight tomorrow.
    Definitely sounds defective then, bummer I would definitely give them a call or email to get it swapped out.

Jon, in my pic of the three lights there is a Nichia 219B at 4500k I believe, the MK2 and then a SC5w at 4400k (I think it's closer to 5000k in real life though).

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    Left Nichia, middle is one of the "w" variants and right is the SC5c
    Winner!

Wow, that's pretty much what I'm seeing. I just can't handle that yellow. Hi CRI or not, the color temperature and tint is the first thing I see.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Wow, that's pretty much what I'm seeing. I just can't handle that yellow. Hi CRI or not, the color temperature and tint is the first thing I see.
    Yeah it's not an ugly yellow though, it's a very pleasing color and the more I use it the more I like it. I've had some ugly yellow and green lights before, one of my old SC5w lights is actually that way, but this is very similar to the Nichia but warmer. I think that's really the main difference here as far as I can tell and I like it a lot. In real life use, especially outdoors, I'm getting excellent results and the light reminds me of afternoon sunshine. That's the best way to describe it. The nichia is more like mid-day sun.

Yep. The easy white in the h600fc is golden. I love it. Very cozy and pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    can you tell me which LEDs are in your photos, including their CCTs

yes,
    it is one of these, I will send you the answer key privately after you tell me which one looks best to you :-)
    Jon.

I'm looking for a comparison of the easy white xml2 from the h600fc 3 vs the new easy white from the sc5c. I don't think your slides have that comparison.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast