18650 Chargers with AC cords

sll

Newly Enlightened
I'm one of the new guys and have done several forum searches within my limited ability with no luck. I have a Fenix ARE-X1 which is simple to use. However, now that I've learned you need to"baby sit" cells while charging and remove them promptly when the green light comes on (and I really do appreciate those words of advice) I'm thinking of getting a 2 or 4 cell charger and have the single as a back-up. My question is what "good" 2 or 4 cell 18650 chargers are available that include an AC cord? I figure I could just plug it up and this would take the guess work out of whether I have a correctly sized USB power supply. I did find a couple threads including the Fenix ARE-C1+ but there were no detailed reviews. Is anyone aware of a review of the Fenix ARE-C1+ or ARE-C2+ chargers?

I look forward to your comments and suggestions

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm guessing none of the chargers have "only" an AC cord but rather a "brick" supply and a DC input jack to power them. Personally I would rather have a 12vdc or 5vdc powered charger with proper power brick that gives you the option of using non AC power sources like an car charger. The main reason that there is no internal AC power supply in most chargers these days is two fold: first it adds a lot of size to the charger itself for the components especially the transformer required, second the 120vac to DC power supply adds heat to the charger which has to be managed in concert with the heat the batteries add already which can I think limit the higher charge and discharge rates.

sll

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix ARE-C1+ and ARE-C2+, along with the aforementioned Nitecore D4 have an AC cord only with the AC-DC transforming performed internal to the charger. They all also have a 12v DC input for using a car power outlet. While on the subject, what might be the consensus for USB power supplies? My ARE-1X has an input rating of 5v DC, 1.5 A maximum. I suspect that means I can't use a 2.1A USB charger???

This is part of the reason behind my inquiring about AC corded chargers. It would be one less thing to try to not mess up.

Thanks for the discussion.

Capolini

Banned
Sort of along the same lines! I would NOT get the Fenix ARE-C2+. It has nothing to do with the power cord! I returned mine because:

1. It can ONLY charge at 1Amp...not good for the longevity of smaller batteries.Yet Fenix endorses the use of 10440,16340 and 14500 batteries!

2. Related to that is the switch that shows you the charge current. It is USELESS because it is a constant charge of 1A except when the battery goes in and when the amps lower near the end of charge.

3. If it had a current switch, .5a,1.0a,2.0a ect. then that option that shows charge current would have been of some value.

4.Mine was inconsistent in how full of a charge my batteries would get. This was for older, ~ 1 year old batteries and some brand new ones.

Xtar makes some nice chargers and I would also recommend my newest charger, the Opus BT-C3100 2.2V

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...00-charger-battery-tester?variant=12529659780

Good luck and ,,,,, :welcome:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix ARE-C1+ and ARE-C2+, along with the aforementioned Nitecore D4 have an AC cord only with the AC-DC transforming performed internal to the charger. They all also have a 12v DC input for using a car power outlet. While on the subject, what might be the consensus for USB power supplies? My ARE-1X has an input rating of 5v DC, 1.5 A maximum. I suspect that means I can't use a 2.1A USB charger???

This is part of the reason behind my inquiring about AC corded chargers. It would be one less thing to try to not mess up.

Thanks for the discussion.

I run the gamut, with a NC i4 v.2 having a 120vac cord, lots of Xtar chargers, an Opus charger and a Maha C9000 having 12vdc wall warts, then my gaggle of 5v USB chargers and an Apple 12w OEM brick. I do have a LaCrosse that's got a 3v input, but I have a 12vdc cigarette adapter for it.

The above can all run off of the car's cigarette socket, or a 12vdc solar panel, making them good for 12vdc mother batteries in an emergency.

The USB chargers are mainly for using with my smaller 5vdc USB folding solar panel that I keep for the zombie apocalypse, or just a hurricane power outage. I do regularly use a little USB Xtar XP-1 Hummingbird for charging up my smaller cells off of the PC, since it's always on and right here. Nothing really to muck with.

Nowadays, except for me, most people have smartphones that come supplied with a good 2.1A/2.4A wall wart, so using something like an Xtar VP4, isn't as problematic as it might have been 3 years ago, when 2.1A bricks weren't all that commonplace.

I have 12vdc AGM/SLA batteries here for charging up the smaller stuff, I have 5v USB power banks, for doing the same and being perhaps more portable, but even most new cars come with USB ports that can do 2A, so times are changing.

Chris