Idiot proof charger

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
I'm recommending a non enthusiast friend get the olight x7 bundle with olight brand protected cells and C4 charger. I just read HKJ's review on the charger and he says the charge never terminates completely which will cause premature wear on cells. Has his been fixed? There are so many reviews and posts by the manufacturer it's hard to tell. If this has been fixed how do I know I'm getting the newest version?

If not what plug and play charger would you recommend for a non enthusiast? My first thought was xtar vc4. Thanks Guys.

ven

Flashaholic
The vc4 is good but can be a little pita with the plug side being a USB charger. The vp4 is very easy to use and will still charge all 4 bays at 0.5a like the vc4. Nitecore do some options(D4 off top of my head), even the xtar xp4(no voltage readout) but can charge all 4 bays at 1a and supports nimh cells to.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You recommended a non-flashlight friend get a $300 eyeball-searing monster light, with rechargeable lithium-ion cells and a charger? And you need things to be 'idiot proof'?

Yikes.

Chris

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
You recommended a non-flashlight friend get a $300 eyeball-searing monster light, with rechargeable lithium-ion cells and a charger? And you need things to be 'idiot proof'?

Yikes.

Chris

Oh yeah i forgot these flashlight companies only market to electrical engineers. That's why they include protected cells and plug and play chargers instead of the usual hobby charger and unprotected batteries. Thanks for the great post.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah i forgot these flashlight companies only market to electrical engineers. That's why they include protected cells and plug and play chargers instead of the usual hobby charger and unprotected batteries. Thanks for the great post.

Buddy, don't get a red behind. It's a valid concern and nobody said he had to be an electrical engineer to properly run a 9000LM lithium-ion powered monster light for his first major flashlight, but it's rather unorthodox to start a noob out on a) removable lithium-ion cells, b) a light that comes with problematic cells in the first place, protected, or not, c) a light that comes with an iffy charger and d) a light that outputs 9000 lumens.

Good job there, Chief.

Chris

Last edited:

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Buddy, don't get a red behind. It's a valid concern and nobody said he had to be an electrical engineer to properly run a 9000LM lithium-ion powered monster light for his first major flashlight, but it's rather unorthodox to start a noob out on a) removable lithium-ion cells, b) a light that comes with problematic cells in the first place, protected, or not, c) a light that comes with an iffy charger and d) a light that outputs 9000 lumens.

Good job there, Chief.

Chris

Truce!!

Im not worried. I intentionally told him to get the olight instead of something like a meteor m43 because of all the safety features. The x7 has reverse polarity protection, low voltage protection, thermal protection. You can't even tighten the tail cap down if it isn't properly aligned. The kit batteries are protected Sanyo ga cells. Used to be Samsung 35e. Olight confirmed the switch. Pretty solid. The charger is definitely the weak link hence the post above. Won't cause any fires but killing your batteries due to overcharge isnt a desirable feature. I think this light will meet his needs. Checking a big back yard for coyotes and other predators at night.

Cheers

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truce!!

Im not worried. I intentionally told him to get the olight instead of something like a meteor m43 because of all the safety features. The x7 has reverse polarity protection, low voltage protection, thermal protection. You can't even tighten the tail cap down if it isn't properly aligned. The kit batteries are protected Sanyo ga cells. Used to be Samsung 35e. Olight confirmed the switch. Pretty solid. The charger is definitely the weak link hence the post above. Won't cause any fires but killing your batteries due to overcharge isnt a desirable feature. I think this light will meet his needs. Checking a big back yard for coyotes and other predators at night.

Cheers

First off, I apologize for being a bit snarky.

It's just that some of this is a bit more complicated for people not familiar with li-ion cells, chargers and lights that can really blast your eyes and do it in a fraction of a second and I know this from personal experience!

I was in the elevator with my GF and was fiddling with my EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky. I usually leave that light set to come on in low, since it has a memory function. Well, it had been tightened at the head, so it's on direct drive with my AW IMR 16340 and I quickly blasted my GF right smack in the eyes for an instant.

Oops. We walked around her area and she was seeing black spots for about eight minutes. Lesson learned. Imagine if I had hit her with your buddy's X7 Marauder?

Secondly, Olight was having some documented issues with their high drain cells bundled with the X7, whatever cells they were using. Turbo was non existent, or it lasted only a few seconds, so there's that issue, which may already be sorted out, but you can read the threads over on 'general discussion', or 'flashlights' for further understanding.

Lastly, nobody should be using li-ions (or even NiMH) cells and chargers without a digital multi-meter. They're almost mandatory for cross checking what the charger and cells are actually doing.

We take the above for granted, but making sure somebody knows what they're doing with their new charger and cells and actually getting some instruction prior to usage is both prudent and ultimately a safety practice. Flat cells can look similar from the front and the back and improperly inserting them into a charger with no reverse polarity protection can damage the charger, cells, both or heat up and possibly spark a fire, if not caught soon enough.

Anyhow, good luck to him, as that's a really nice light, evidently, but it's not a toy like a MagLite might be.

Chris