Best 9005/9006 for BMW Z3

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
I want to upgrade the stock headlamps on my 1996 Z3. The lenses have somehow escaped fogging (regular polishing and cleaning helps, I guess) and I like the beam patterns much better than newer cars I've driven. I'd consider HIR but I don't think the lamp holders have the requisite scatter shield. Seems the alternatives are far fewer than with H1 and H4. I'm considering:

• Vosla +100 "Super bright light"
  • Osram Night Breaker Plus "Unlimited" (not thrilled with the blue bands on the bulb periphery)
  • Philips "X-treme Vision"
  • GE Nighthawk "Sport" or "Platinum" (are these just the same bulb with varying degrees of blue tint?)

Also, is it possible to safely replace the 9005 with an HIR1 in the high beam while using 9006 in the lows? I'm driving 2000 miles cross country in a few weeks and want to upgrade before I roll. I'm open to advice and trust the voices here, far more than most of the opinions on the web.

Doug

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
HIR2 (the good Vosla +30) and HIR1 work well in those headlamps without unsafe glare or other issues, and will work much better (and with longer life) than any of the other options you listed. However, to answer your other questions, yes you can use HIR1 in the high beam with HB4 (9006) in the low beam. No, Night Hawk Sport is not worth considering; it's blue junk (=less light). Night Hawk Platinum and Night Hawk Xenon, like the Philips Xtreme Vision, have clear glass for the headlamp optics to "look at" the filament without blue filtration losses; the blue ring does not affect beam photometry.

Be very sure the headlamps are aimed correctly.

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Hi Virgil,

Good to know HIR may be fitted in both high and low beam positions. I'll go that route, get out my file (or maybe finally invest in that dremel I've always needed but never bought,) then report back on the results. I appreciate the sage advice. Do you have any experience with or opinion on the HIR1 being sold through candlepowerinc.com?

Doug

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go that route, get out my file (or maybe finally invest in that dremel I've always needed but never bought,) then report back on the results.
Proper*​ toenail clippers work really well for HIR1/2 base mods.

*Those with flat or slightly convex cutters, not those which are simply giant fingernail clippers with concave cutters​

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Quick update: I spoke with candlepowerinc.com, who confirmed the HIR1 bulbs on their site are manufactured in Germany by Vosla. His story is, Vosla is the only european manufacturer of HIR1 and because the bulbs are sold under multiple brands (at multiple prices), he cannot explicitly name the manufacturer without jeopardizing relationships with the multiple OEMs who sell them. I've just ordered the generic HIR1s and Vosla-branded HIR2 +30s for the little Z3. I'll report back with results. Thanks for your assistance!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
His story is

LOL! His story is very imaginative. I start rolling my eyes and getting ready to hang up the phone or change the channel any time I see or hear this kind of "We can't tell you the actual maker because...um...super low prices!...and...we promised we wouldn't!...and...um...exclusive...special deal...and...look, it's complicated, just trust us, OK?" baloney. Here's hoping you get the bulbs you're supposed to get. Probably will, but why all the dog-and-pony handwaving nonsense about it?

Was there some problem with the links in post #2 of this thread, that prevented you from using them...? That's a known supply line of the correct bulbs.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick update: I spoke with candlepowerinc.com, who confirmed the HIR1 bulbs on their site are manufactured in Germany by Vosla. His story is...

...quite the story. This is one of those marketing techniques that seems to work well. "You're getting a secret and HOT deal that if the truth were learned..."

And didn't he just NAME the manufacturer?

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
As I wrote, he did name the manufacturer: Vosla. He also said he would not print this on his site for the aforementioned reasons. Having worked for years in business that relies on OEM relationships, I understand and appreciate the fragility of those relationships, and the importance of not competing with your suppliers (or their directly competing with you.) What he names on the phone is not the same as what he publishes on the open Internet. As this is a well regarded but relatively obscure forum, I opted to share the info. I hope I have not done anyone a disservice.

The links were fine; I opted to buy from a supplier with whom I've done business before and who has consistently shipped what they say. I'll be the first to share if something seems remiss.

Again, I thank you for your help!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't see any disservice, but I also don't see anything contra what I (and Alaric) said. This handwaving about oooooh, can't name the maker, ooooh, can't print it, ooooh, it's a secret...yes, sometimes it's real, but it's completely bogus in this case, where the real reason for no brand on the web page is to facilitate selling functionally equivalent, differently-branded bulbs. Fair enough, there is no practical difference between the Philips and the Vosla-branded bulb (and we could add one or two other brands to that list). But then why not just cough up the truth and say something like "The bulbs you receive may be branded Philips, Vosla, [whatever], or [whatever]. There is no detectable difference, we have tested all of these comprehensively and they are 100% equivalent to each other. This branding variation is what allows us to offer you the web's best price on these bulbs." It's a lot less complicated and a lot more realistic/believable than that hubbledegoop about hush-hush branding and pricing arrangements that don't really exist.

They're not the only generally reputable automotive lighting vendor to engage in tall-tale knitting, but it's silly no matter who does it.

Last edited:

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Taking your advice, then, I've also ordered the HIR1s from the Amazon link supplied by -Virgil-. I'll post photos once I receive both items, so we can compare. If I've been had, well, caveat emptor is as true today as it was in Roman times. If not, I'll put the second set of bulbs in another Z3 (long story, off topic.)

JOsnipes

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the HIR bulbs in place of 9005 and 9006 bulbs in my Toyota Camry. They output a ton of white light and have lasted over a year so far. I would recommend them!

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Here is a link to photos comparing the AC Delco bulbs purchased from the Amazon site (above) to those through candlepowerinc.com. At least to look at, the 9011s are identical except for what might be a batch number printed on the base. If they're fakes, someone spent a lot of time making really good fakes. The truth is in the trimming and lighting, of course. The price from candlepower is significantly lower; you just have to be willing to put up with the horsepucky discussed above.

https://goo.gl/photos/MrNNDDpknBVuf9QD6

Last edited:

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Changed the aging 9005/9006 to new 9011/9012 HIRs on left side, then did a quick wall shot. I know, not a scientific test but it's pretty obvious there's more, whiter light and the beam pattern is substantially unaltered. It's also evident that they need to be aimed professionally.

IMG_20170408_134200621_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170408_134208774_HDR.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yup, that looks like a good result. Can't really tell anything about aim this close to the wall, though a good precision aim check (these are "VOL" headlamps) is a smart investment.

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
One thing I have not been able to figure out: can the low and high beam reflectors be adjusted independently? Even in the above image, you can see the right-side high-beam is offset to the left with respect to the kink in the low beam, moreso than the left headlamp. The primary aiming screws adjust the whole unit up/down and right/left but I haven't located anything to independently adjust one beam with respect to the other.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No, you cannot adjust the high beams and low beams independently of each other. Yes, the right high beam appears to the left of the right low beam kink...because the right high beam lamp is to the left of the right low beam lamp. And the left high beam appears to the right of the left low beam kink...because the left high beam lamp is to theright of the left low beam lamp. This isn't problematic; it's the way it's supposed to be.

tigerdog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Virgil. To my eye (more apparent when further back from the wall) the right high beam seems to be much more offset than the left. I'll chock it up to German engineering and be happy that I can see where I'm going. :)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I think probably what makes it look that way is that the right high beam is above a (relatively) low-intensity area of the low beam, while the left high beam sort of merges with the left low beam's hot spot. I've noticed the same effect on my 4-lamp cars.