Looking for a new duty flashlight

rcc003

Newly Enlightened
So I finally convinced my wife I was ready to apply for the local police academy. I've been in public safety for 7 years and couldn't afford much for high quality gear. I have a Nitecore P25 that is both my duty light and my EDC. I also have one of those Walmart 625 lumen 3xD LED Maglites. I like the Nitecore, but I don't feel it's bright enough. In fact, I think the Maglite is brighter than the alleged 860 lumen Nitecore.

Anywho, I'm looking for a quality duty light that takes 18650 or 2xCR123. I don't like proprietary batteries. They are too expensive and hard to find. The other requirement is a plastic holster for my duty belt. I HATE nylon holsters and most agencies in Iowa still use leather belts and allow plastic holsters for lights.

I should also note, there's a Surefire dealer in town. He has mostly old stock that is no brighter than what I can buy at Target, but can they be upgraded?

I'm willing to spend around $200 for the light and holster. I already have batteries and chargers.

And now, I open Pandora's Box.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi @rcc003 and welcome to CPF ....

Your post above is approved, but the thread was moved to the "Recommend" subforum, as you will get more specific advice here.

Please also consider filling out the checklist, as it will greatly help focus the replies :)

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
I don't know if you'll find a 'brighter' light for the purpose, looking at the specs for the P25 it seems to have both a good output and good intensity for that type of light.

Just my opinion, but I don't let anything but Elzetta, Malkoff and Surefire take up room on my belt. These lights have the simplest operating systems and are robust. I use an Elzetta Charlie with AVS head and hi/low tailcap at the moment, but if you want 18650 I suggest having a look at the Elzetta Bones. I don't own one but if it's anything like the Bravo or Charlie it will be great (only single output though). Malkoff has 18650 lights, and Surefire has the P1R Peacekeeper.

I have no desire to engage in arguments, but in my opinion any more than 2 modes is too many (and you don't need a strobe) when selecting a lawman's belt light.

Dunno how you'll go getting a brand-name plastic holster, I've only seen them from Surefire but there's some good-looking kydex options about.

I wish you well for the future, you've chosen a calling that will surely test you. Stay safe and good luck with your search, please let us know what you choose! :)

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a 3 x CR123 (2 x 18500) light?

Malkoff M91T MD3, 600 lumens constant, no drop down, small enough to always be on your Duty Belt, but long enough to tuck under your arm when checking Doc's, runs on 2 x 18500 (1700mah) rechargeable batteries for 1hr 23 mins (will also run on 3 x CR123's if your department supplies them).

The optional High/Low ring is a must have, it has a low of 25 lumens, which is suitable for checking documents etc. Simply untighten the head a fraction of a turn to activate Low mode, tighten head and it's back to High mode. Tail cap clicky switch can be pressed with whole of thumb pad for momentary flash when carrying out a tactical search etc.

The M91T is fitted with a TIR lens that provides more throw than a standard reflector but it still offers sufficient spill. It's not too bright, on high, for dwelling searches etc. but it's also bright enough for open area searches.

Malkoff's fit in with the 'Keep It Simple Stupid' philosophy which means you won't have any issues operating it in a high stress situation, which could be a life saver.

Malkoff's are built like tanks, they are very robust and reliable, they are simple to use and come with a lifetime warranty, they also offer an LEO discount.

I am not affiliated to Malkoff's, I'm a retired LEO and a very satisfied Malkoff customer, I carried Surefire lights for 20 years of my career but I would carry a Malkoff now.

With the High/Low ring installed the price is about $153 with the LEO discount.

The M91T is the middle one in the below photo (Top is a Malkoff Hound Dog V3 and bottom is a Malkoff MD2).

Malkoff%20Triple_zpse4g4hslu.jpg

Kytex Shooting Gear make a simple vertical holster which is available for Duty Belts.

MD3%20KYTEX_zpsinauwbth.jpg

If you want something a bit more complex the below holster is made by ESP (Euro Security Products), they are available in different sizes to suit different flashlights. The below photo show one with a Surefire Fury.

FuryHolster_zpsda30ef6c.jpg

The ESP holster will allow easier and quicker access to the flashlight if you are wearing overt body armour.

SFFuryHolsterTacVest_zpsbdf26c95.jpg

What ever you choose, stay safe and have a long and rewarding career! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Sybert777

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for a bombproof Surefire I've got one I'm selling. As suggested above, it's a P1R Peacekeeper with dual output. It looks almost brand new, but a few minor (unnoticably minor) dings and nicks. I'm currently moving and need the money, so shoot me an offer if you're interested. It us the dual output, so it is 600 (although it is brighter than my 1000lm P12GT) lumens and 15 lumens on low.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should also note, there's a Surefire dealer in town. He has mostly old stock that is no brighter than what I can buy at Target, but can they be upgraded?

It depends on how much older his stock is - if he's got much older incandescent lights, then yes, those as quite easy to upgrade. Depending on your preferred style of flashlight, you can still find Surefire 6P incandescent lights in stock with various dealers. Other flashlights like the incandescent Z2 can be much harder to find.

As for suggested alternatives, permit me to round out the usual suspects: Surefire you know, Malkoff has been mentioned, and then there's the Elzetta line.

Do you know anything about flashlight standards in Iowa as a whole? Or do they vary by agency? You might consider not committing to an expensive purchase until you know where you're going to be working, so you can ensure your gear meets department requirements.

Good luck with the academy! :D