In search of right gear

Deanerrulz

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I recently acquired a position as a security guard and I need some help finding out an ideal flash light for the job.

I'm going to be working Grave yard in a rather dark area with a lot of open space. I'm mostly going to be outside and I feel like I would need a flash light with a lot of flood to it so I could light up a good amount of area, but nothing to crazy, and I would also need something I could throw my light with and get a good combination of flood and throw. Something that would last a long time and I can charge if needed, and something I could also use as a blunt object for self defense if needed? Hopefully you guys could help me.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I recently acquired a position as a security guard and I need some help finding out an ideal flash light for the job.

I'm going to be working Grave yard in a rather dark area with a lot of open space. I'm mostly going to be outside and I feel like I would need a flash light with a lot of flood to it so I could light up a good amount of area, but nothing to crazy, and I would also need something I could throw my light with and get a good combination of flood and throw. Something that would last a long time and I can charge if needed, and something I could also use as a blunt object for self defense if needed? Hopefully you guys could help me.

Is it an enclosed or open area, surrounded by structures or trees and foliage? About how wide a periphery and how far into the distance do you need lit? How much runtime do you need, 2 hours, 4 hours, maybe even 6?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The either of the 3 cell Maglite ML300 (D cell) or ML50 (C cell) should work well; both are mutli-mode with programmable function sets and a quick 1/4 turn focus. You can get 'em at walmart or home depot.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a head's up, CPF frowns on any mention of using flashlights as anything other than illumination devices; this includes helping people to "see the light".

That said, a 3D Maglite is probably going to be your best bet. You can also check out the Rayovac Indestructible 3-C light which is pretty hefty - the drawback being it's all throw, so you need to be diligent about sweeping the beam while on patrol.

Other than that - what's your budget?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you not allowed to carry collapsible batons?

That would cross the line into "armed security guard" - entirely different licensing procedures and requirements. And in most places, if you get caught carrying a weapon as an officially "unarmed security guard", you could get terminated on the spot.

I may have walked a beat as a rent-a-cop once or twice.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would cross the line into "armed security guard" - entirely different licensing procedures and requirements. And in most places, if you get caught carrying a weapon as an officially "unarmed security guard", you could get terminated on the spot.

I may have walked a beat as a rent-a-cop once or twice.

If this is the case, Maglite with a malkoff is probably (and unfortunately) the best choice.