Highest Lumen Drop-In for AA Maglite??

fnhfive7

Newly Enlightened
I have several AA Maglites laying around that I never use because they aren't nearly as bright as other lights I have in the same size. Doe anyone know what the highest lumen drop-in would be for these? I've looked around and found a few, but I was hoping I could find one at least around 500 lumens-or 750-1,000 would be awesome! Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off. Don't obsess with lumens. It really isn't the most important attribute. It's like obsessing over torque and ignoring horse power.

2nd only mod an old mini mag for fun or because you have a real attachment to the light and want to use it again. Because any mod or drop in will cost you more than a new light and you'll never get the performance from the mini mag.

If you just want to make it usable. Pretty much any of the drop ins will do that. But tint and output will be miles behind modern lights. But it will be usable.

Lumens will I'll always be low because there is nowhere for the heat to go in a classic mini mag.

There is one mod you could try. Google mini maglite p60. You'll loose the focus ability and you won't be able to reverse the mod. Basically you turn the mini mag into a p60 host. So you can run any p60 you like pretty much. So almost any LED combo you can think of.

wjv

Enlightened
http://www.bikeco.co.uk

has 60 and 90 lumens replacements for the 2xAA lights

I have had good luck with their products. High quality, bright white. No off color tints.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't find any AA Minimag running past 272 lumens (some may be higher now). I have the Solitare which puts out almost 50 lumens which is plenty for an AA Minimag so if you can find one around that range. There is one that claims to output 140 lumens, don't know if that's true, most of the dropins i see are at 30-60 lumens. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B868MK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Like others have said if you really NEED 500 lumens output..... buy a light that puts out that much and pay attention to the specs including reading reviews relating to output vs runtime of that light because often lights claiming to have high outputs don't sustain that level of output for very long. For the most part a 500 lumen light typically requires more than 2AA batteries you need 3-4AAs or lithium ion batteries to handle the power requirements needed.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I would not personally spend more than ~$8-$10 for a Mini Mag LED drop-in.....more than that and I would put the money towards a LED Mini Mag Pro, or better yet a Pro +. I am not aware of any drop-ins that are brighter than the current Pro and Pro Plus.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
FWIW, I would not personally spend more than ~$8-$10 for a Mini Mag LED drop-in.....more than that and I would put the money towards a LED Mini Mag Pro, or better yet a Pro +. I am not aware of any drop-ins that are brighter than the current Pro and Pro Plus.
If there was one it would be one mode and probably have a short life as heatsinking would be inadequate. A 500 lumen light almost always needs a lower mode so you can use it longer than an hour without being left in the dark.