EAGTAC        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (New) Streamlight Protac HL-X

Default Re: (New) Streamlight Protac HL-X

Quote Originally Posted by Kd5jha View Post
    (update) I ordered a handful of orbtronic buttontop 18650 cells as someone advised above and they seem to work perfectly in these lights. That makes these now a great pocketable light with nice output for the money. What I wanted in the first place. I ended up paying $7.99 each for the cells from orbtronic direct with a weekend discount code I found.
    Yeah, it sounded like a battery issue. Orbtronic makes nice stuff.

I have an update to the thread.

I received both a Protac HL-X and a Protac 2L-X in the mail the other day.

There are some really good points and some real downsides to both of these lights.

Good Points:

*Very Bright Tight Hotspots with Nice less intense Spill around the edges gives a balanced beam pattern with good throw.
    *Good battery life so far on the included streamlight brand CR123 cells (it was nice that a set came with the light)
    *Good Knurling on the body and I'm really digging the deep carry pocket clip, though I don't see really using a light this big as a headlamp. The clip could be used though to clip the light on a pocket from the outside.
    *Light can be programmed to several different modes and I was able to find a mode that I preferred on each light for its intended purpose for me. on the 2L I went with the LOW/HIGH and on the HL-X I went with High Only since it is for me a Tactical Light.

Bad Points:

*I would prefer on the 2L that the mode be (High/Low) rather than (Low/High) this way if you jam the switch in excitement or stress you will get a high beam rather than a low beam. This is not an option on the small light. Neither is High Only on this particular light. At least you CAN disable the strobe feature which I find annoying on an EDC light which is what I purchased this to be...so in the end I am fine with (LOW/HIGH) since I carry a separate Tac Light that is High Only.

* Standard 18650 button top protected cells don't fit the light! I purchased some quality protected 18650 cells from a local dealer (who allowed me to return them after i discovered they did not fit my application) They are the maximum comfortable length that will fit in my Nightcore D4 charger but the Button Top won't make good contact with the Positive Contact in the light because it does not protrude far enough out to touch. Our solution was that he gave me some flat sides cells that were slightly larger and he welded on a flexible metal tab that could be folded over to fit in the slot of the shroud around the contact that streamlight has down in the tube. It appears that they have engineered this light to ONLY work with their cells unless you mod some other cells to fit it... That pisses me off since their cells are $15/ea and I can purchase these for half that locally. Thanks streamlight.

Its not worth my time to return this light to the vendor, and its actually a great light that I like the performance of. I would just have like to have known going in that they had engineered it to not allow anyone else cells to work. (I will say that I don't have an extremely broad variety of cells only a couple of brands to try but neither of them would make contact.)

Shame Shame Streamlight! Had I Known I'd probably have just spent a little more and bought the surefire I was considering.
    I was in the market for a 300M minimum throw single 18650 light and I ended up getting the HL-X. First off Iíve put a bunch of different button top 18650s in it and they all work. I got a Kootek rechargeable light as a gift years ago. It has onboard charging that takes 8-9 hours to charge. Horrible light, but it has a HYY 2000mah 18650 in it that was at 4.17V after sitting for months. Actually a great battery that I canít find anything on. The HL-X runs on it as long as their 2600mah battery.

Anyway, I tried some friends lights in the same candela range and the tiints are horrible in the cool white lights at long distance. At longer distance it is harder to identify things unless they are moving. The tint on the HL-X isnít neutral but itís not cool white either. Good balance between the two. I have mine set on low- mid- high. Even on low it throws far in rural complete darkness. High is great and better tint helps identify objects and colors better at distance. A huge plus. Unless stupid paper ratings is the game with 17 customizable UIs with 14 modes per UI, the better tint and actual use of the HL-X is much more welcome than play with while watching tv lights. Iíve also noticed that when put side by side with similar candela Uber mode lights, the HL-X runs way longer on high with less heat.

Just about 20 minutes ago I heard dogs making some noise outside. You donít want feral dogs running around on a farm, easily identified close to 200 yards out.

I didnt get it to compare to other lights or pine over modding it or talking to people about 18 customizable UIs. I bought it because of throw to size to tint ratio. If someoneís looking for a user to put light on stuff other than a white wall to critique the tint itís what anyone is looking for in a working light. The price and warranty are great too. The streamlight brand battery runs a long time and holds a charge with use at full brightness better and longer than anything Iíve used. Even my smaller 1L-1AA lights run longer at full brightness than other brands do.

As a user for a single 18650 in this candela range, itís hard to beat. Maybe the Nitecore P30 will out do it but the tint is horrible and I donít need 600+M or throw, my terrain here wonít allow it unless Iím in a tree shining down and out across a field.

Good post Boris. Thanks.
    Been trying to talk myself out of buying one of these and your comments aint helping. lol
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Good post Boris. Thanks.
    Been trying to talk myself out of buying one of these and your comments aint helping. lol
    My thrower has been a 4 cell maglite Iíve had since the 80s, so I tend to buy based on I will use it a lot. Anyway, until I replaced it with months of research and playing with friends lights (since April of this year), my nitecore MT10A was my big bright light lol. The HL-X throws its 65 low lumens farther than the MT10A does on 500, better tint too. It throws its 400 lumens far too. 1000 almost isnít needed but when I do use them, it donít ramp down after 90 seconds. Stays on full brightness longer through out battery life too. All my surefire lights noticeably faded from the start, even the LED ones, never did like that.

Outside the on paper useless specs, in actual use I havenít seen anything come close to tint, run time, battery life in the same candela range one 18650 light.

Its a great light. I recon Iíll use it some time until the mid 2040s when it comes time to look for something new.

Thinking Re: (New) Streamlight Protac HL-X

(update) I ordered a handful of orbtronic buttontop 18650 cells as someone advised above and they seem to work perfectly in these lights. That makes these now a great pocketable light with nice output for the money. What I wanted in the first place. I ended up paying $7.99 each for the cells from orbtronic direct with a weekend discount code I found.
    I just ordered an HL-X. How are the Orbtronic batteries working out? Have you tried any others? I have some Keepower laying around so I'll try those to see if there are any issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12