Looking for a smart lithium ion discharger. Have you come across one somewhere ?

chrissybabe

Newly Enlightened
Before I tell you what I am looking for I should say that I don't really care whether the discharger also charges although that would be nice. I am reasonably happy with my standard chargers. I also tend to favour battery packs that allow assembly from loose cells rather than worrying about balancing charging etc. Assembled packs do fail and it is amazing how quick a couple of years comes around and you have to disassemble and rebuild again just because a single cell has failed.

What I am after is a discharger (and charger if built in) that will allow me to discharge a cell at a known (adjustable ?) current and monitor the time it takes. It also needs to be monitored over a USB port by a laptop or PC and present the results in a graph or at least give a rating based on the area under the discharge curve which will be the cells capacity. I have found a charger called the Battman 2 which does exactly what I want but it was designed for a parallel port output, plus circuit boards etc are probably pretty hard to come by. The idea is the process doesn't need to be manually monitored. I am sure that there are plenty of ways to do this but I don't want to have to spend the next 6 months building and programming it.

This was prompted by my wifes bike light batteries, upon being fired up for the approaching winter, promptly failing over 50% of them. She had 4 packs and two are dead. No problem rebuilding them but I have other things I would rather be doing. And making them look half way decent and waterproofing them just adds a heap of overhead. I have also been using these packs for my caving lights but have made alternate packs using single cells that are working rather well. Being able to measure the capacity in a reproducible way makes cell matching really easy.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I only know of one lithium ion charger that has USB monitoring and I think it also does bluetooth It is the SKY 3000 I think. If you only want capacity and don't need a graphing curve there are a few that do discharging and keep track of capacity out there like the Opus btc 3100 series.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
^^^ what Overclocker said.

You can find all sorts of hobby chargers with this facility and far greater flexibility setting charge and discharge rates, cut-off voltages etc.

I have been getting a lot of my stuff from Hobbyking for many years - wide choice, good prices but best to do your research beforehand.

I forgot to mention that the majority of hobby chargers require a standalone power supply. Or a 12 Volt (car) battery.

AndrewE

Newly Enlightened
Before I tell you what I am looking for I should say that I don't really care whether the discharger also charges although that would be nice. I am reasonably happy with my standard chargers. I also tend to favour battery packs that allow assembly from loose cells rather than worrying about balancing charging etc. Assembled packs do fail and it is amazing how quick a couple of years comes around and you have to disassemble and rebuild again just because a single cell has failed.

What I am after is a discharger (and charger if built in) that will allow me to discharge a cell at a known (adjustable ?) current and monitor the time it takes. It also needs to be monitored over a USB port by a laptop or PC and present the results in a graph or at least give a rating based on the area under the discharge curve which will be the cells capacity. I have found a charger called the Battman 2 which does exactly what I want but it was designed for a parallel port output, plus circuit boards etc are probably pretty hard to come by. The idea is the process doesn't need to be manually monitored. I am sure that there are plenty of ways to do this but I don't want to have to spend the next 6 months building and programming it.

This was prompted by my wifes bike light batteries, upon being fired up for the approaching winter, promptly failing over 50% of them. She had 4 packs and two are dead. No problem rebuilding them but I have other things I would rather be doing. And making them look half way decent and waterproofing them just adds a heap of overhead. I have also been using these packs for my caving lights but have made alternate packs using single cells that are working rather well. Being able to measure the capacity in a reproducible way makes cell matching really easy.

Hi there,

I just signed up so that I could reply to your post. I have been a fan of BattMan II for a while. So long, in fact, that PC printer ports became obsolete before I had a chance to build one. I still want to make one because I think it's an elegant design and makes a great project. What I have been doing is to update the design to work with a Raspberry Pi (instead of a PC). I have modified the circuit slightly and I have ported the Windows code to Python. I have also designed a PCB, which I should receive in a couple of days.

Nothing is tested yet, but all of the bits are ready. I don't have much time to work on it right now, but I'm in no hurry. I'll be very pleased if it works though.

I rewrote the code with the permission of the original author, and I am calling the project BattMan Pi.

Comments or questions are welcome.