HDS Systems        

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a "plain" aluminum BOSS

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd love it - I would buy it instead of waiting for other finishes

    12 46.15%
  • Nope, I'm holding out for a Patina

    4 15.38%
  • Nope, I have another finish in mind

    6 23.08%
  • I don't care what finish it is - I'll buy the first BOSS that comes available

    4 15.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Are there performance differences between the black and Patina? Corrosion resistance? Or is it just aesthetics?

    You think that's enough question marks?
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

  2. #62

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Are there performance differences between the black and Patina? Corrosion resistance? Or is it just aesthetics?
    They are both attractive in person and photos. And they have the same metal for similar thermal characteristics. Black is the only finish we offer that does not change over time on its own. Bare 7075 changes more gradually than brass or copper but still changes (darkens).

    They also differ in impact treatment. Black has a hard shell so is more impact resistant but such impacts will show/contrast more. Silver doesn't have the shell but impacts are the same color so are less visible.
    Control the Dark

    OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

  3. #63

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    In a heartbeat, I actually like bare aluminum. I have removed the HA from several ljght.s.
    You removed the HA from a boss? How'd you go about doing that and what's it look like?

  4. #64

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    I wish they still made aluminum models but I would definitely want ano unless aluminum buffed to be shiny. I hate dull metal look like new titanium models.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Black is our standard finish but we alternate between it and other metals. In the meantime, we should have a few black heads soon that can be paired with black bodies.
    Control the Dark

    OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

  6. #66

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Black is our standard finish but we alternate between it and other metals. In the meantime, we should have a few black heads soon that can be paired with black bodies.
    The key for me is aluminum over exotic metals. It has light weight and good enough thermal transfer. Copper is better but too heavy and I don't like the smell.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    The key for me is aluminum over exotic metals. It has light weight and good enough thermal transfer. Copper is better but too heavy and I don't like the smell.
    The aluminum satin black BOSS I have does a fine job for heat management for this design but the Titanium BOSS with the copper pill is darn good too.

    “Prolonged” use at high output requires greater mass and surface area for effective thermal regulation that is a bit beyond the limits of the BOSS.

    For extended v5 high output I resort to my v5 dropin in the Z70 or one of my hosts using a Cryos bezel.


  8. #68
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,084

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Quote Originally Posted by U2v5 View Post
    The aluminum satin black BOSS I have does a fine job for heat management for this design but the Titanium BOSS with the copper pill is darn good too.

    “Prolonged” use at high output requires greater mass and surface area for effective thermal regulation that is a bit beyond the limits of the BOSS.

    For extended v5 high output I resort to my v5 dropin in the Z70 or one of my hosts using a Cryos bezel.

    I understand that the Wasp was designed for greater thermal efficiency for extended purposes and has the V5 engine built-in rather than as a drop-in.
    No matter how robust the host that the drop-in is in, it will always be limited to some extent by the layer of air between it and the walls of the host.
    Even with foil-wraps etc. it can't be as efficient as an in-built L.E AFAIK.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  9. #69

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    I understand that the Wasp was designed for greater thermal efficiency for extended purposes and has the V5 engine built-in rather than as a drop-in.
    No matter how robust the host that the drop-in is in, it will always be limited to some extent by the layer of air between it and the walls of the host.
    Even with foil-wraps etc. it can't be as efficient as an in-built L.E AFAIK.
    True! That’s why the elusive Wasp is still on my radar!

    These pocketable lumen powerhouses will not replace larger high output torches for prolonged use but it’s fun to push the limits.


  10. #70
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2

    Default Would you settle for an unfinished BOSS

    To me this question reads more as Would you pay more for figures with unique sculpting?Yes, yes I would.

  11. #71
    Administrator Kestrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Posts
    6,063

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    A bit late to the party, but would vote 'yes'; am currently messing about with this Boss35 Patina & enjoying it very much, but wouldn't mind trying a '70' variation. As Patina 70 bodies most likely will never be available, a bare 70 body could be an alternate option. Or somebody who wants a 'polished' instead of their currently-patina 70, could perhaps sell the patina 70 body on the MP - to people like me lol.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    Bare naked aluminum with a stone washed finish.

  13. #73
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

    ^ I viewed a first run bare aluminium Boss 70 on FB "WTS" a week ago. It sold for a fair price.. You need to sort thru the death head skull clip parade, but the patina aluminum Boss come up often. There are many tough, and cool lookin, finishes that can be applied to bare 7075 besides ano..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •