Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd love it - I would buy it instead of waiting for other finishes

12 46.15%
  • Nope, I'm holding out for a Patina

4 15.38%
  • Nope, I have another finish in mind

6 23.08%
  • I don't care what finish it is - I'll buy the first BOSS that comes available

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

Default Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

I know - nobody asked me. But I was observing this morning how beautiful my well-carried Patina 35 is now that the patina has essentially worn off. Got me to thinking that I would be perfectly thrilled with a 'plain' aluminum BOSS, and maybe that would ease production costs, difficulty and reduce the time.

So if you could get a plain aluminum BOSS of any variety, would you be interested? Thought I'd post a little poll. I tell you, Oveready/Torchlab has set the standard for years to come, and although people naturally have preferences in finishes, this light is the best out there IN ANY FINISH! Along with unparalleled customer service from Torchlabs!

No...
    But id "settle" for an unfinished Titanium.

Default Re: Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

I love raw aluminum like my Sigma
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

Personally, having had a number of uncoated raw aluminum flashlights, I am not enthusiastic about that option ... for bare metal, I'd much rather have titanium or stainless steel instead. (And yes, I'm referring to appearance, not thermal properties, etc, etc)

I think stonewashed Ti would be awesome. Perhaps the only thing I might prefer over that would be DLC-coated highly polished titanium
    ... is the archimedes peak

I like the idea of the raw aluminum, being able in essence to "re-patina" at will with a rock tumbler and the proper media. It also seems to work harden the surface a bit, which helps keep the aluminum oxidation from rubbing off on my hands or pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    ... But I was observing this morning how beautiful my well-carried Patina 35 is now that the patina has essentially worn off. ...
    I'd like to have a L@@K at your well-carried Patina 35. Perhaps a photo could be posted.

If I had the means, I'd love a polished titanium and a polished brass. Having all three (Patina 70 already acquired) would really be something!

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I wouldn't care if it had been thown off the Empire State, run over by a dumper truck, eaten by a bear and poohed out the other end.
    If it worked and I could afford it it would be mine.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I'd like to have a L@@K at your well-carried Patina 35. Perhaps a photo could be posted.

If I had the means, I'd love a polished titanium and a polished brass. Having all three (Patina 70 already acquired) would really be something!

~ Chance
    Here's mine from the first batch. I have carried it every day since I received it. The patina is mostly worn on the tail and around the edges. Lighting makes it difficult to properly image. As to Dan's question, if I was a beggar I wouldn't be choosy. I'd take whatever came available.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Very nice

Doesn't look too bad in my opinion:-

We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Beautiful. Now I want a 219c raw aluminum one.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

In a heartbeat, I actually like bare aluminum. I have removed the HA from several ljght.s.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post

I love my satin black but your light is Jim Snazzy! I'm gonna have to buy another 70.

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    Here's mine from the first batch. I have carried it every day since I received it. The patina is mostly worn on the tail and around the edges. Lighting makes it difficult to properly image. As to Dan's question, if I was a beggar I wouldn't be choosy. I'd take whatever came available.
    That's coming along nicely. Thanks for posting a picture of it.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

~ Chance
    That's coming along nicely. Thanks for posting a picture of it.

~ Chance

Here's yet another. Took this yesterday but just now getting around to posting.

~ Chance

That's beautiful, Daniel.

That's beautiful, Daniel.
    Thanks Dan. If you wanted to, you could get the same result with your patina-worn 35 in about 5-10 minutes! You just need to enclose it in a very fine sponge pad and roll it evenly, then polish it with Autosol polishing cream and a polishing cloth.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by "Ozythemandias"
    Beautiful. Now I want a 219c raw aluminum one.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Wimmer"
    I love my satin black but your light is Jim Snazzy! I'm gonna have to buy another 70.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by easilyled; 04-11-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Here's yet another. Took this yesterday but just now getting around to posting.

I dig the well-worn L@@K. Are you going to let it continue to a de-patinaed patina, or are you considering polishing it ala easilyled's 70?

~ Chance

Thanks Dan. If you wanted to, you could get the same result with your patina-worn 35 in about 5-10 minutes! You just need to enclose it in a very fine sponge pad and roll it evenly, then polish it with Autosol polishing cream and a polishing cloth.
    Thanks, Daniel! I might just try that. Do you ever carry it? The beautiful polished look would probably become a bit scratched up with carry, yes?
    I dig the well-worn L@@K. Are you going to let it continue to a de-patinaed patina, or are you considering polishing it ala easilyled's 70?

~ Chance
    I may polish it. Just for grins.

UPDATE - well I got after it with some Wenol polish and a lint free cloth. 2 or 3 minutes max. Here's the result:

Last edited by run4jc; 04-11-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Idk mannnnn the patina is so beautiful and unique I'd never change if (if I had one). Black has the signature satin feel so I'm hesitant to change that but I'd be more inclined.

Patina? That's some sacred ground to be messing with

Raw aluminum stains my hands grey, so not particularly.

The reality is that if you carry the patina every day, it will change. The patina on the outer surfaces of mine had basically worn away, but the patina in the grooves remained. The Wenol simply cleaned and removed the oxidization. It's gorgeous. Patina is my favorite and the character each light develops over time adds to the allure of the finish!

Does anyone know what the patina finish actually is and how it is applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Raw aluminum stains my hands grey, so not particularly.
    I'm wondering if 7075 rubs off as easily as its softer brother, 6061. My guess is, no it doesn't.

~ Chance

... I may polish it. Just for grins.

UPDATE - well I got after it with some Wenol polish and a lint free cloth. 2 or 3 minutes max. Here's the result:

Well, that turned-out really nice. Does it feel as "good" in the hand, or is it a little more toward the slippery side, now?

~ Chance

Thanks, Daniel! I might just try that. Do you ever carry it? The beautiful polished look would probably become a bit scratched up with carry, yes?

I may polish it. Just for grins.

It looks pretty similar to mine now Dan. I also have some tiny pitting as a result of the original stonewash (as part of the patina process) but it doesn't bother me at all.

I carry mine all the time albeit in a pouch to protect it when its in my pocket. Its hardly affected the finish at all.
    Last edited by easilyled; 04-12-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Well, that turned-out really nice. Does it feel as "good" in the hand, or is it a little more toward the slippery side, now?

~ Chance
    Good question. Any light that I've ever polished with Wenol, although most have been titanium, "feels" good to the hand afterwards. No sir, not slippery at all. And as Daniel described, there are minute little pits that give it a small feeling of texture. Man, I do like this light.

How's this?:

Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

I'd buy one in 219c 4500.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast