McClicky Surefire retaining ring material choice

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I purchased a McClicky kit for a Surefire 6p and for 10 bucks with switch, boot, o ring and retaining ring it's a pretty good deal.
I have three already installed all in 6p's and, like the new kit, all use a brass retaining ring.
What I was thinking though is that brass and copper which now appears to be a material choice for these rings don't mate well with aluminium due to galvanic corrosion. While I'm sure the effects will be minimal in this application, it's a factor all the same.
I have noticed that Fivemega uses an aluminum ring in his lights which I would think is superior to both brass and copper. While copper is the most conductive and brass being less than a third of copper and aluminium being about two thirds as conductive as copper without the bimetallic issue.
Makes me wonder how those Cryos copper heads go on aluminium bodies longterm?
I really like brass and copper materials but I can't see why in this application that aluminium isn't generally used. If given the option I'd have chosen aluminium retainers for my lights. The only application where brass would benefit would be if there was a need to solder to the retainer as in some switch mods.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If the threads are anodized, galvanic corrosion may not be a huge issue ....

Galling, however, can be worse with aluminum than brass :shrug:

And, yes, I have had "stuck" FM rings :(

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the threads are anodized, galvanic corrosion may not be a huge issue ....

Galling, however, can be worse with aluminum than brass :shrug:

And, yes, I have had "stuck" FM rings :(
Interesting about the stuck FM ring. Yes, the inside of my tail caps are anodized so no problem there. I was thinking more about the electrical path where the ring meets the end of the 6p body. It's a whole can of worms really, copper P60 shells and copper bezels/tail caps etc. As I mentioned in my first post it's probably not a big deal but could be a factor depending on the components e.g. copper bezel or drop in to aluminium host could be more of a bimetallic issue than switch ring to aluminium body.

Latest posts