my first surefire

dandruff

Enlightened
hi all,

im looking to get my 1st surefire and was wondering if u all had any advice. I dont need one at all its just something so cool to have.

I've been looking at a E1e coz it looks so cute, but am now leaning towards an E2e coz the long runtime with a MNO2 bulb appeals quite a lot

another question, whats the difference between the E2e and E2O? they seem exactly the same except that they come with different bulbs.

please post your thoughts. thanks

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id recommend the E2e, which happened to be my first Surefire too. The E2o is exactly the same, just with a longer clip and lower powered bulb.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2e was the one that started it all for me. I think it's a great Surefire to start off with. The E2e has more of a "wow" factor because of the brighter beam. If you dont have a specific task for it other than having it when you need it, go with the E2e instead of the E2o. Of course there are better, but the E2e is a good place to start.

FlameOn

Enlightened
Any thoughts on the C2 or M2...I am leaning toward my first also...mostlys a nightstand light to replace my scorpion (why, I have no idea)....run time isn't that important now that bats are so cheap....what about bulb life? thanks in advance

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
dandruff:

I purchased an E1 when they were first introduced, and was extremely disappointed. To me it was too much money for too little light output (about 15 lumens). The E1 with a KL1, now that I like.

In my opinion, the E2e (about 60 lumens) is the way to go. This is still a very compact light, and for versatility, I believe you can use either the KL1 or KL4 heads for an LED lighting option (if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me).

Flame On:

If you have a Scorpion and are interested in an SF, why not get a 3-cell version? I personally feel that the 2-cell SureFire models (except for the E series) don't offer enough of an advantage to warrant the higher price. For me, size is an important criteria, and the M2 is comparatively large. Sure, SF offers high output lamps for their 2-cell models, but if brighter light is what you want, just go for a 3-cell model.

By picking up a 3-cell light, you'll still have about 60 lumens from your Scorpion, but will also have about 105(C3)/125(M3)lumens from the low output lamp of the 3-cell models, and a whopping 200(C3)/225(M3)lumens from the high output lamps.

Just my opinion.

haley1

Enlightened
I know you said the A2 was out of your price range, but, you get 2 lights in one. High output incandescent, and LED. Plus it's the coolest light in the world. You'll be the envy of all your friends. Or they'll just think your nuts and your wife will kill you. But you'll die happy. But the E2 series is cool too I guess. Carried one for years, good light.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the L4, but it is more expensive. So between the two you asked about I would get the E2e for 60 lumens that run for a little over an hour -or- the E2O that comes with the lower powered lamp 25 lumens for over two hours. You can always buy the lamps seperate and use them in either light. (MN02 is 25 lumens/MN03 is 60 lumens)

StuU

Enlightened
The E2e is an incredible light in many ways. Compact, light, long throw. Good for multiple tasks. Easy to carry. Fantastic for security or such uses as examining engine/mechanical systems. You won't regret the purchase.

However, about the MN02 bulb. It's not so great. A long runtime and bright but the beam is like a pencil and not very useful IMHO. The MN03 is the sweet one.

Stu

-----------------
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."
-- Thomas Jefferson, to Alexander von Humboldt, December 6, 1813

cy

Flashaholic
I just got my first Surefire, a 6P. Very robust feeling light.

The bulb died with less than 2 minutes of burntime. emailed dealer, he deferred to Surefire. Called Surefire they are backordered on bulbs. Will be out at least two weeks + shipping time.

No bulbs, but they are still shipping lights. "World Class Customer Service"

emailed dealer, he replys again can't help.

Stuck with dead NEW Surefire light.

dandruff

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice guys. hmm yes think ill go for the E2e after all. Should be ordering it within the next 2 weeks

cy: man that sucks! i would hate it if that ever happened to me. all the anticipation then a let down and u have to wait another few weeks.

dandruff

Enlightened
help! more questions!

Im confused. In SF's website they describe the E2e as having lexan lens. but the comparison chart says it has a pyrex lens! whats up? whats the difference and which is better?

oh another thing anybody tried the longer pocket clip from the E2o? is it better than the short one on the E2e?

haha sorry being a bit of a detail freak but gotta be careful spending money like this!

roguesw

Enlightened
dandruff, surefire's website is not up to date on some products, all the e2e's shipping now are on the new pyrex lens, i have the e2o, i find the clip adequate for use for cliping to the inside of pockets, it has a longer reach so i guess it can grab more material, however, it is quite flexible, i think maybe the shorter clip of the e2e has more tension?
cheers
des

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
flameon: if you're considering the M2/C2, i suggest getting a C2 since its much cheaper, and you can always get an M2 bezel for it if you wish. i used to EDC a black C2, and it served me well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif