Apple usb charger question

carnage

Enlightened
Can I use the Apple A1401 charger with Xtar VC4 or even Nitecore Tip? Will it work with any usb chargeable flashlight? I have not pick it the Apple charger yet. What are some good usb charger that can work about anything?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I use the Apple A1401 charger with Xtar VC4 or even Nitecore Tip? Will it work with any usb chargeable flashlight? I have not pick it the Apple charger yet. What are some good usb charger that can work about anything?

Is it the 2.4A 12w jobbie, or an older one and is it a fake, or real?

I've used my Apple A1401 OEM with my VC4 and it works pretty well. I'm still a bit on the fence whether it's the VC4, or the wall wart slowing my VC4 down. I know it works because I've timed two 26650s for 3.x hours and got 1A per hour charging rates according to the Xtar.

Anyhow, it will with with all things USB, but there are fake ones out there so do the Google.

Chris

carnage

Enlightened
Is it the 2.4A 12w jobbie, or an older one and is it a fake, or real?

I've used my Apple A1401 OEM with my VC4 and it works pretty well. I'm still a bit on the fence whether it's the VC4, or the wall wart slowing my VC4 down. I know it works because I've timed two 26650s for 3.x hours and got 1A per hour charging rates according to the Xtar.

Anyhow, it will with with all things USB, but there are fake ones out there so do the Google.

Chris

I was going to purchase it from the Apple store so I won't get any fake.What is a wall wart?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to purchase it from the Apple store so I won't get any fake.What is a wall wart?

That'll be a good one. There are others brands, but I think at my local Apple store, they're $19+tax, so $21ish. They're good enough. I use mine often, with other chargers.

Chris

carnage

Enlightened
Since it has more watts and amp that is needed for some battery chargers, is there potential to cause damage to the device you using it with? Could this be used with the Nitecore Tip without damage?

ven

Flashaholic
Usually the device(light) will limit the current(regulate), i have charged the older TUBE off PS4 and apple chargers of past..............no issue.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to HKJ website and went through that page and check out all with the big green check mark in google and I can't find some of them in the United States. I'm still going through them.I'm going through the smaller check mark one now.

Xtar makes some decent USB chargers/wall warts, but you might as well just stick with an authentic Apple OEM from their store, so if something happens, you can just exchange it.

I needed to go more cheaply and I scoured Ebay for one and gauging from posts I found online, mine is authentic.

Chris

carnage

Enlightened
Xtar makes some decent USB chargers/wall warts, but you might as well just stick with an authentic Apple OEM from their store, so if something happens, you can just exchange it.

I needed to go more cheaply and I scoured Ebay for one and gauging from posts I found online, mine is authentic.

Chris

Where can I pick up a Xtar charger in the United States if possible.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Great read if you guys are interested. Apple Chargers are extremely reliable and well built.

http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html?m=1

Ken Shirriff is very good at analyzing stuff, but that article is rather old (2012), I have also checked a couple of Apple chargers more recently. My conclusion is also that they do good product, but maybe a bit too complicated.
You can find my opinion (Backed by tests) on 120 usb chargers here: http://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex UK.html
If cpf decides to make an area for usb equipment I will also post that kind of stuff here, but for now I am limited to chargers and batteries.

carnage

Enlightened
Ken Shirriff is very good at analyzing stuff, but that article is rather old (2012), I have also checked a couple of Apple chargers more recently. My conclusion is also that they do good product, but maybe a bit too complicated.
You can find my opinion (Backed by tests) on 120 usb chargers here: http://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex UK.html
If cpf decides to make an area for usb equipment I will also post that kind of stuff here, but for now I am limited to chargers and batteries.

Do you have any recommendation which one I should go with?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Do you have any recommendation which one I should go with?

Just find one without a skull and with enough current and the correct coding (I prefer auto and/or QC) for your requirement.

Maybe 30% of the chargers I test are dangerous, then there are a lot of chargers that are not very interesting, the rest is good or very good, depending on your requirement. The most significant difference between the good chargers are their over current limit, I prefer that the limit is below 4A, this way they will not be a risk with damaged cable and will usual not damage usb connectors (Most usb connectors are rated below 3A).

carnage

Enlightened
Just find one without a skull and with enough current and the correct coding (I prefer auto and/or QC) for your requirement.

Maybe 30% of the chargers I test are dangerous, then there are a lot of chargers that are not very interesting, the rest is good or very good, depending on your requirement. The most significant difference between the good chargers are their over current limit, I prefer that the limit is below 4A, this way they will not be a risk with damaged cable and will usual not damage usb connectors (Most usb connectors are rated below 3A).

I will probably go with the apple 12w it has a big green check mark on your website and it's available locally. Thanks for the reply!

carnage

Enlightened

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never thought about a local vape store. Is lumensdirect.com reputable business and do they sell any fake/knockoff product?

They're 'a' big Xtar distributor in America, but switched names late last year, from XtarDirect, to LumensDirect.

I've done a few deals with them and even had an issue and they took care of me lickety split.

Their poop's legit!

Belkin is a authorized Apple 3rd party vendor and they make good stuff, but you might pay more money for it at Best Buy, Target, or ChinaMart.

Chris

Latest posts