Need recommendation for 14500 LifePO4

sqtruong

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

New member here. I am looking to buy a few 14500 LifePO4 cells. What brand/model do you recommend based on your personal testing/experience.

Thanks in advance.

sqtruong

Newly Enlightened
No recommendation at all? Has anyone used one 14500 LifePO4 to replace 2 AAs in series? Which LifePO4 (14500 or AA) did you use and were you happy with it? Would you recommend against or for it? And why of course.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
No recommendation at all? Has anyone used one 14500 LifePO4 to replace 2 AAs in series? Which LifePO4 (14500 or AA) did you use and were you happy with it? Would you recommend against or for it? And why of course.

Honestly, if you just love your light and just have to use it, run some Eneloop type standard NiMH AAs, or high caps and use those.

Jerking around with dubious generic Chinese LiFePO4 14500s is going to get you about 400mAh of capacity, running one of them with a dummy and that kind of blows.

With 'hi caps' you get around 2500mAh and although you don't get that 3.0v-3.6v range, you'll be better off.

If you want a pocket blaster, get a pocket blaster. It's kind of a solution looking for a problem.

Here's a test HKJ did on some LiFePO4 14500s and I wouldn't bother. I have two 2xAA lights, a Klarus P2A and a Jetbeam BA20 and I just keep them stoked with Duracell Ion Core 2500s in my Zombie Invasion box.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/K2 Energy 14500 LiFePO4 500mAh (White) UK.html

Chris

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm typing this now on a logitech wireless keyboard that uses 2x AA but i'm using one lifepo4 14500 and a dummy. i'm also running a bunch of 2x AAA IR remotes, IR thermometers, lux meter, weighing scale, a laser tachometer, etc off of lifepo4 10440 and dummy

soshine brand. low capacity so for low-drain devices only

Arizona_Mike

Newly Enlightened
So I'm a huge LMP fan but given the high self-discharge remotes, scales, etc. seems like one of the worst applications.

Mike

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I have bought all 14500 LiFePo4's available at fasttech - Colook, Soshine and other brands. None reached declared capacity of 600-700mAh, the best ones were at 520mAh, while average was 350mAh. There was almost no matching between cells. Capacities differ by 20-40%.

I'm using them in camera strobe remote trigger, which uses 2xAA cells, and has strong dislike to NiMH - will say "battery low" and quit working shortly. With single LiFe cell and dummy it works just fine.

bob_ninja

Enlightened
I got AAA coolook from FT.
Use them in remotes with a dummy and my remotes work great now. In the past with NiMH voltage could be bit low and I had difficulties with the range.

Sadly shipping is no longer available for NA so cannot order them any more.
Expect existing cells to last a long time so no biggie.

Anyway very happy with coolook. Also use them in a light, no issues. Work great.

parametrek

Enlightened
The Tenergy 400mAh cells are extremely easy to find and perform satisfactorily. Not as good as the handful of Coolook cells I've been able to get but I have many more of the Tenergy LiFePO4 cells.

You'll find some horrible reviews of people saying that Tenergy cells are ruined after 10 cycles. Baloney. That is what happens when you charge them on a 3.7V charger instead of a 3.2V charger.....