Which 2900mAh cells are used in Toshiba laptop batteries?

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Hello.

There is a seller on ebay (don't want to post link until I'll buy by myself and verify). Which sells as he says, brand new Toshiba laptop batteries. These are 6 cell batteries at 10.8 volts and 5800mAh capacity, which means that they have 6 pcs of 2900mAh 18650 cells inside. The most interesting subject is the price - $12.99 & free shipping (in US). While I have took apart a lot of laptop batteries, I never had seen 2900mAh cells inside. By googling, the most common 2900mAh 18650 cells are Panasonic NCR18650PF and NCR18650PD cells. But I've very rarely encountered panasonic cells in laptop batteries (have took about 1000 of them apart). I only meet panasonic cells inside panasonic laptop batteries. So what is your guess, which cells these can be? I don't expect to see high-drain INR/IMR chemistries there, so it should be some old skool 18650 cell. Any ideas?

Arizona_Mike

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

There is a seller on ebay (don't want to post link until I'll buy by myself and verify). Which sells as he says, brand new Toshiba laptop batteries. These are 6 cell batteries at 10.8 volts and 5800mAh capacity, which means that they have 6 pcs of 2900mAh 18650 cells inside. The most interesting subject is the price - $12.99 & free shipping (in US). While I have took apart a lot of laptop batteries, I never had seen 2900mAh cells inside. By googling, the most common 2900mAh 18650 cells are Panasonic NCR18650PF and NCR18650PD cells. But I've very rarely encountered panasonic cells in laptop batteries (have took about 1000 of them apart). I only meet panasonic cells inside panasonic laptop batteries. So what is your guess, which cells these can be? I don't expect to see high-drain INR/IMR chemistries there, so it should be some old skool 18650 cell. Any ideas?
I have personally pulled Panasonic NCR18590 (grey wrapper, white insulator) from a laptop battery someone discarded at my office. I don't remember the brand on the outside of the battery. They are NCA chemistry just like their bigger "B" brother. They tested out at 2799+/-22 mAh (down to 2.8). Here is the dastasheet: https://engineering.tamu.edu/media/4247819/ds-battery-panasonic-18650ncr.pdf

Out of 66 laptop pulls (not counting cells below 2.5v at the time of pulling), 13 cells were high drain (almost 20%). My gut impression is the high drain recycling bin pulls tend to be a little healtier than LCOs and NCAs. I pulled 4 good Panasonic CGR18650A (LMO/LCO hybrid) cells from a 6 cell pack and 9 good Sony SF US18650GR-G7 (NMC) cells from a 9 cell pack. Both sets were within 100mAh of their nominal capacity.

Mike

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
make sure its an original though.
repops often look the same but do not have the claimed capacity.
a real nos pack is probably a good deal.
an example.i got in a hp replacement pack.was not expecting a oem but it looked exactly like the oem i needed to replace.
like they had a source of the original labels.
the pack was bad.seller sent a replacement and told me to recycle it.
so i crack it open.oem is 5200mah with lg cells.
this one has 2200 yik lik reds.decent cells for chinese stuff.
so 4400.
the issue was a tap lead not soldered.
6 new cells free.
its getting harder to spot aftermarket packs nowadays.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Well, seller claims that it is 100% genuine product. Haven't ordered it yet, since I found another deal for 2900mAh LG MG1 cells, for almost same price, that will cost me that Toshiba pack, so I'm thinking, whenever I should buy obsolete tech NCR18650s, or go with more modern LG MG1 cells?